university of Glasgow student life...

Watch
muqu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
in your opinion, what's the pros and cons for student life in the university of Glasgow, or the life of a student living in Glasgow in general.
AEFRGF
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
the hills
muqu
Rep:
?
(Original post by AEFRGF)
the hills
what do you mean?
BridgeHouseGlasgow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey there,

What would you like to know specifically? I went to Glasgow Uni and have now lived in the city for 7 years. I'd be happy to help you out.

Lilith
muqu
Rep:
?
(Original post by BridgeHouseGlasgow)
Hey there,

What would you like to know specifically? I went to Glasgow Uni and have now lived in the city for 7 years. I'd be happy to help you out.

Lilith
well.... i'm going to university of Glasgow to study theoretical physics, but i'm just asking about the living conditions of a student living in Glasgow. like, how is life there for an international student (like myself), is the rent there expensive or cheap?, is the city safe?, what's the advantages and disadvantages in living in Glasgow (as a student).
melon-baller
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by muqu)
well.... i'm going to university of Glasgow to study theoretical physics, but i'm just asking about the living conditions of a student living in Glasgow. like, how is life there for an international student (like myself), is the rent there expensive or cheap?, is the city safe?, what's the advantages and disadvantages in living in Glasgow (as a student).
Well you could either rent privately from a landlord/letting agency, through university halls or through a private student accommodation service such as Fresh and Unite. I don't have much knowledge of the latter.

Most UoG students tend to stay towards the north, north-west and west end of glasgow (e.g. kelvinbridge, partick, st george's cross). For a 1 bedroom flat, you're looking at around £450.00 - £750.00 before bills (e.g. internet, electricity/gas, phone). The closer you are to the university, the more expensive rent will be due to supply/demand. It often works out cheaper to flat share. If you rent from a letting agency, they'll often ask you to go through a reference check (e.g. credit, previous address etc..).

The areas where students tend to hang around are safe. Obviously like all cities, use your common sense and if an area looks dodgy, avoid it (like a badly lit path at night).

Glasgow is a great city for students. As a small city with three universities and many other colleges, there is a great student vibe with many amenities at your doorstep. The only minor disadvantage is the weather and buses aren't too great. You can get a discounted membership to use the shared cycling facilities - Nextbike.
BridgeHouseGlasgow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by muqu)
In my experience, student life in Glasgow is really fantastic. It's a busy, diverse and exciting place where there's lots going on but it's also hugely friendly and largely safe (although of course, you need to be as streetwise as any major city). It's easy to live on a budget and rent is much cheaper than other university cities such as Edinburgh or Aberdeen.

I work with loads of international students and they have all reported really enjoying Glasgow and seem to settle in extremely quickly. Glasgow is a very easy city to get to know due to its fairly easy to understand routes and the fact the University is built around the West End in a campus style.

Advantages of the city in my mind are the prices of things. It is very easy to live very cheaply but still have a great quality of life. It's very easy to eat, shop, go on nights out, buy student essentials, on a budget but at a high quality. The food scene is fantastic - there are always great new places to try for food. I personally love the campus university where everything is contained as you feel like you know the area well very quickly. Also, the public transport with the subway, trains and buses are all great. Buses are a little expensive if you are going a short journey but for a longer across city trip if you needed - they are great value. It's also a very very walkable city once you know your way around. Although eight years on I still sometimes use Google Maps!

In terms of disadvantages as a student, I honestly can't think of any! As another poster mentioned, the weather isn't ideal. It can get very cold and rainy but if you dress appropriately you will soon get used to this.

I hope this helps!

Lilith
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads