Failing one paper - urgent help needed Watch

This discussion is closed.
Platopus
Badges: 19
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone. So, I messed up. Big time. I am 99.99% sure that I failed my logic exam yesterday (as in, achieved less than 40%).

In the logic exam, we had to do 3 questions: at least one formal logic question and at least one essay. I chose to do two essays and one formal logic question.

I did SO much revision for formal logic. I have been able to do a certain sort of question in my revision and throughout the year, so I attempted it in the exam. I guess the pressure got to me, because I was only able to complete one half of that question (and I think the half I did complete was riddled with mistakes). It was a complete nightmare. It’s ironic, because I have been good at formal logic in all my worksheets this year - I was even predicted a first in it in my last report!

So, the situation is this: I did not complete 1/6th of the paper, I did appallingly badly in another 1/6th of the paper, one of my essays was pretty bad and the other just ok.

I’ve been working out the numbers and I am dead sure that I have failed this paper - as in, not been able to get at least 40%.

I have checked my college’s rules and it says that you must pass every examination in order to stay. So, if I have failed logic I am out, even if I pass all my other exams.

I guess I am asking whether anyone else has ever failed one paper but been allowed to stay?
Computerslife
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on the college i guess, im not sure
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Platopus
(Original post by Computerslife)
Depends on the college i guess, im not sure
It’s Pembroke, if that helps
Unnamed User
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe you get a resit. Then, if you fail that, you have to do the exams again the next year. If you fail that, you are out. I am pretty sure that's how it is, but every college is different
Platopus
(Original post by Unnamed User)
I believe you get a resit. Then, if you fail that, you have to do the exams again the next year. If you fail that, you are out. I am pretty sure that's how it is, but every college is different
Hi, thanks. I thought Cambridge didn’t do resits?
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Its not very logical of you to fail your logic exam 😂😂
Platopus
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Its not very logical of you to fail your logic exam 😂😂
Great. Thanks very much.
Unnamed User
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Platopus)
Hi, thanks. I thought Cambridge didn’t do resits?
I just looked it up, and you are right. Did you have any circumstances which caused your exam to go bad?
Also, have you asked your friends how their papers went?
Maybe everyone did badly, or you just think you did badly
Platopus
I just looked it up, and you are right. Did you have any circumstances which caused your exam to go bad?
Also, have you asked your friends how their papers went?
Maybe everyone did badly, or you just think you did badly
No, I just made what was, in hindsight, a stupid question choice. I know that natural deductions are risky and sometimes take a while to do... But, I tried them anyway. And, my mind just went completely blank when I was trying to do them - it was like I was seeing the symbols but not seeing them and I just couldn’t think.
I haven’t asked anyone else, but I think probably nobody else was stupid enough to pick the natural deduction question - or, if they were, they were able to do them.
elecEng
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi. I'm positive you'll be allowed to resit this paper. For now I would focus on revising for the resit.
Unnamed User
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, I just made what was, in hindsight, a stupid question choice. I know that natural deductions are risky and sometimes take a while to do... But, I tried them anyway. And, my mind just went completely blank when I was trying to do them - it was like I was seeing the symbols but not seeing them and I just couldn’t think.
I haven’t asked anyone else, but I think probably nobody else was stupid enough to pick the natural deduction question - or, if they were, they were able to do them.
Is this for first year?
Platopus
Is this for first year?
Yes.
Platopus
(Original post by elecEng)
Hi. I'm positive you'll be allowed to resit this paper. For now I would focus on revising for the resit.
Do you know anyone who has been allowed to resist a paper? I was under the impression Cambridge did not allow resits.
Unnamed User
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes.
Have you tried talking to your tutor?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you know anyone who has been allowed to resist a paper? I was under the impression Cambridge did not allow resits.
Go and talk to your tutor
Platopus
Have you tried talking to your tutor?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Go and talk to your tutor
I am seeing him to talk about it on Monday.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
OK, so perhaps you can take form that he doesn't think it is a disaster?

Have you got any more exams between now and then?
Unnamed User
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That is good. Hope everything works out well for you
The best thing to do now is to stop worrying and focus on your other exams
Platopus
(Original post by threeportdrift)
OK, so perhaps you can take form that he doesn't think it is a disaster?

Have you got any more exams between now and then?
Actually, Monday is when I asked to meet him because I have exams today and on Friday so don’t have time to see him before then.

That is good. Hope everything works out well for you
The best thing to do now is to stop worrying and focus on your other exams
Thank you. That’s really nice of you to say. I hope so too, but it’s making it so hard for me to focus on the other exams when I already know I’m out
Unnamed User
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Actually, Monday is when I asked to meet him because I have exams today and on Friday so don’t have time to see him before then.

Thank you. That’s really nice of you to say. I hope so too, but it’s making it so hard for me to focus on the other exams when I already know I’m out
Relax, and just try your hardest. If you do really well on your other exams, you may have a better chance. Good Luck for them
I also have exams today and on Friday
What are the chances?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (491)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.53%

Watched Threads