?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
ive failed twice :-(
rottcodd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It took me five attempts to pass. What's your question?
lixr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think cleverness has anything to do with it. Just think of some of the celebrities who can drive.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Brightest chap I know (well, at least academically speaking) took either 6 or 8 attempts.

It's just common sense and a lot of practice.
Dramatic Star
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's just a matter of staying calm. I don't think intelligence comes into it. My friend (who isn't intelligent, sorry if that sounds horrible!) passed first time.
BibbleJW
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do have a theory that those of us who are more "academically gifted" tend to be used to doing well, and so get a bit flustered if things start to go wrong, which makes more things go wrong. When I passds my test (3rd time, if you're interested), I basically thought I had failed, and just thought "sod it". I was rather surprised when he told me I had passed
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Intelligence doesn't come into it. Some absolute planks at my school passed on first go; I'm an Oxford postgrad and still haven't :p:
britishseapower
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I passed on the third attempt on Friday the 13th 2005
lixr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it's also to do with co-ordination. which i ultimately suck at
Mrgd291190
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My driving instructor (about 8lessons in, still got clutch control problems) said...

"Look at some of the people who are driving. How many of them are you smarter then?"

He also said that people whoa are good at CDT and the like do well. Cinesthetic learning, technial skills, hands on learning type of things helps and that usually (not wishing to stereotype) doesn't come bundled together high intelligence.

Don't worry. Just know that when you DO get the knack of it, you'll be better then any of them
naz_loves_footy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i am fairly intelligent (at least i like to think so ) and passed on my 1st attempt after 29 lessons
Barry Scott
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got reasonably good grades and am considered clever (in MENSA etc.) but I failed really badly first time; passed second time though. Some people in my school who are not the brightest of sparks passed first time after failing their theory test one or more times..
brightxburns
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's about co-ordination, not academic ability.
Just like there are some thickos who are brilliant at sports, but can't write a coherent essay to save their lives. Completely different skills are used.
naz_loves_footy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by brightxburns)
Just like there are some thickos who are brilliant at sports, but can't write a coherent essay to save their lives. Completely different skills are used.
wayne rooney :flute:
brightxburns
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by naz_loves_footy)
wayne rooney :flute:
Exactly.

And there are maths-loving, calculator-wielding geniuses who can't catch a ball.
britishseapower
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by brightxburns)
it can be a bit of luck as well, depends on the traffic conditions on the day/anything unexpected happening.
jenren22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think luck plays a huge part in whether you pass your test, i mean, you cant control what jumps out at you on the road can you?
britishseapower
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jenren22)
I think luck plays a huge part in whether you pass your test, i mean, you cant control what jumps out at you on the road can you?
there are some things that are out of your control but others are within your remit and I guess it could work in your favour if something unforeseen happened and you dealt with it well. For example, when I was doing Pass Plus, a car pulled out on me and I managed to brake before my instructor even did. In the context of a test though, when your nerves are shot, it's not always as easy to make the right decisions so yeah, I guess Lady Luck is a big factor. Don't let anything put you off though i.e. superstitions, after all, I passed my test on Friday the 13th.
tinkerbellejess
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's not really about what happens, it's how you deal with it that will pass or fail your test.
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mrgd291190)
He also said that people whoa are good at CDT and the like do well. Cinesthetic learning, technial skills, hands on learning type of things helps and that usually (not wishing to stereotype) doesn't come bundled together high intelligence.
I'd say this isn't the right forum to be suggesting that being technically able implies you're not intelligent.. I've met plenty of people thick as two short planks who'd struggle to use a hammer. Having good technical skills also implies intelligence, to me at least - at some point in most technical areas you're going to come up against problems, and solving them may require a lot of ingenuity. And if you are going to make a statement like that, at least make sure you spell your post properly! :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1170)
79.38%
Leave (304)
20.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed