Turn on thread page Beta

"cleverness" and passing driving test... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenren22)
    I think luck plays a huge part in whether you pass your test, i mean, you cant control what jumps out at you on the road can you?
    Although I do agree with you if you were at test standard if some idiot did jump out at you would have antipicated this might happen and you would have dealt with it before it happened, rather than slamming on the brakes at last minute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    I'd say this isn't the right forum to be suggesting that being technically able implies you're not intelligent.. I've met plenty of people thick as two short planks who'd struggle to use a hammer. Having good technical skills also implies intelligence, to me at least - at some point in most technical areas you're going to come up against problems, and solving them may require a lot of ingenuity. And if you are going to make a statement like that, at least make sure you spell your post properly! :p:
    My dad is a genius at maths, he can do any sum like that and has very IQ, yet he reckons mechanics are genius. I mean just think about the skill involved in taking apart an engine. It is not just about turning nuts, you have to know exactly what procedure to do for everything and you have to be able to learn new things all the time.

I am not good with cars but I do have the same skill in other areas, wiring, computers etc. But if somebody spent a day with me showing me how to take apart an engine or how to replace brakes I could learn very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think passing a driving test has much to do with cleverness...but it's pretty damn embarrassing when a "clever" person fails something which is considered quite minor, like a driving test. I think "clever" people are probably the worst at driving because they tend to over-analyze and attempt to perfect everything- which, i have learnt the hard way, is not how one should approach driving.

ReputationRep:
    Practice, experience and co-ordination all play a part, but then again luck is a factor too - yes you can anticipate certain things, but there are some really crap drivers out there who can make you fail your test, and it's difficult to anticipate when someone else is going to do something stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katherinev)
    I don't think cleverness has anything to do with it. Just think of some of the celebrities who can drive.
    Jade Goody for example. Thick as two bricks but she's driving, god help us.

ReputationRep:
    Now I don't know whether to feel glad that I'm not stupid for still not passing, or angry at myself for not possessing a skill Jade Goody has mastered.

ReputationRep:
    Only Clever People Pass First Time... Like Me

ReputationRep:
    Jade Goody can drive...

ReputationRep:
    I passed first time, not really sure how... i think part of passing is down to the circumstances on the day. Some of my friends have failed due to other road users acting like planks during their test and making them screw up, eg people pulling out or learner drivers on the roads...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babble)
    Now I don't know whether to feel glad that I'm not stupid for still not passing, or angry at myself for not possessing a skill Jade Goody has mastered.
    But I always tell myself, ok I haven't passed the test yet, but at least when I pass I won't have to drive through Spain to get to East Angia :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    I'd say this isn't the right forum to be suggesting that being technically able implies you're not intelligent.. I've met plenty of people thick as two short planks who'd struggle to use a hammer. Having good technical skills also implies intelligence, to me at least - at some point in most technical areas you're going to come up against problems, and solving them may require a lot of ingenuity. And if you are going to make a statement like that, at least make sure you spell your post properly! :p:
    Fair point. I didn't mean that being technically able implies lack of intelligence. I meant that driving is a skill and nothing to do with academic intelligence. A lot of the people I've met who are good at technical things are not neccesarily good at academic disciplines, I just left the word out in error. But (and again, not trying to stereotype) I've met a great many people who have one but not the other. I'm good at the academic side of things but my sports, dramatic, and indeed technical skills are poor - everyone has their own forte. I have friends who are the opposite and those that are jack of all trades...some even masters of them.
    I don't usually think of problem solving etc as academic intelligence per se. It's intelligence certaintly but not in quite the same way.
    Wrong forum? I was just trying to make a point in relation to the OPs, not hijack.
    Yeah...my spell check broke. In my defence my Keylogging protection was screwy at the time
    At least, that's my opinion and my driving instructors.
    :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    A broken spell checker is no excuse for poor spelling :p:. There has to be some irony in that!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the important missing word was academic intelligence! Yes I agree they can be completely unrelated, but technical intelligence is equally as important as academic (arguably more essential). I'm on an engineering course and there's a lot of clever people on that, but some of them can't wield a spanner which annoys me a bit tbh. Of course, the ones who can do both amazingly are bloody annoying!
    I agree with AT as well, your spell checker should be between your ears!

ReputationRep:
    There are different kinds of smarts. Academic smarts isn't the be all and end all. A lot of people in the world, who are not as academically gifted as the majority of the TSR population, are really good practically. On the other hand some really smart people are useless at practical tasks.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't about cleverness - look at how many idiots are on the roads! I know plenty of dilbrains who have passed.

ReputationRep:
    cleverness? lol

ReputationRep:
    I think the point of people saying "it's not cleverness look at all the idiots who drive" IS the point of cleverness.
    My driving instructor used to say that more intelligent people or people with a lot of common sense just used to think about it too much and over-analyse it, resulting in stuff like 20 stalls in a row and all that jazz. Whereas people who don't do that can just drive without thinking about what is actually going on. It's hardly a hard and fast rule and definitely doesn't apply to all but I'd agree with it to some degree.

ReputationRep:
    Well they do say you've either got intelligence or common sense, not both.
    Having spent a good few solid weeks doing theory stuff and taking the test today, I'd deffo say that the material is majoritarily common sense ..

Until today, I and those around me reckoned my common sense was an absolute zero.
    Now I'm seriously questioning which category I fall into

ReputationRep:
    I think too many people over think while driving..

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if there are computers that would pass the driving test...

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.