Hours reasonable while doing alevels? Watch

qas786
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well ive basically been offered a job as a phone operator to do 4 shifts a week (24 hours), they are 6 hour shifts and are most likely to be monday 6pm to 12 am and then 3 more shifts maybe fri sat n sun, they may be day 12pm to 6pm, is this reasonable with my alevels but take in mind i have friday full day off and start at 11 on a tuesday
A Stranger in Moscow
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sounds a lot, but if you think you handle it then...it's been done before.
lolilady---O
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well you obviously don't think so or you wouldn't have made a thread. :p:

It just depends what your priorities are. Is it more important to have lots of £££, or lots of free time? What would make you happier?

It doesn't have to affect your Alevels (I'm assuming you take 3?). That's all about time management.
Nasher and Basher
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It matter how well you can concentrate, my college said 6 hours of work per a week. But I did 14- thought that was manageable.

But the hours are unsocial, you might need a regular sleeping pattern- I know I do.
Jhawkins
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do 12 a week, minimum and I find it alright. I think 24 is too much to do, but it just depends on you as a person.
qas786
Its pretty hard gettin a job and as ive been offered i dont want to turn it down, as i really want to get a car in a month or so..the only thing putting me off is the timing, not the hours themselves
moodring01
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
God, I do 2 maybe 3 hours a week outside of the classroom (ur) and I'm getting As. 14 hours? Oh my. I could handle that job but I would probably get bored very easily. You might regret it, that's a lot of hours for a student.
davireland
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thats far too much even if your are a ridiculously hard worker, especially doing late nights. i do 14.5 hours a week and thats perhaps a little too much for me.
qas786
Well i was able to do 22.5 hours everyday of the week for a period of 3 months then left as i felt every day was too much, but id think this would be ok because its only 4 days and 2/3 days are on my days off
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Remember that you need some time to yourself aswell. I did about 18 hours during Alevels and I found that alright, but I never did any work for my Alevels, it depends on how much you need towork for them. Personally I would try and negotiate it down to 3 shifts to make sure you had some free time too. Maybe ask for a probationary period (if you dont get one automatically) to see how it all works out for you?
Ashes_to_Ashes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd say 12 hours max, but that's just my opinion.
qas786
Hm wel ill have to say, i may just work over the easter holidays and see how it goes, and then i may just leave if its tooo much
Abz90
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It sounds a lot but it really depends on how you manage your time and how much work you do outside college. I'll be honest and say I do next to no work at all outside college, apart from coursework, and I work 12 hours a week. I can manage it alright. I think the most you should do is 16 hours.
BibbleJW
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I used to do 20-25 (a full weekend, and a weekday shift), on top of whatever pub work I got. Scaled down a but when I needed to (exams, coursework, etc).

If you can do it, then there should be no problem. I know I found it useful to have a place where, whatever happened, I could do no schoolwork at all. Gets rid of the guilt of procrastination.
smooth3k
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm contracted to work 16 hours a week at Argos, but am frequently given 20 or more. Including the 30 min. bike ride each way, it probably comes to 24 hours or so a week.

First, it can be done. However, your employer needs to be flexible - maybe more so than it sounds they are. I find myself asking for different hours from those allocated every week and they sort it, so make sure your employer will too.

The main problem I find is how physically tiring it is. For instance, on Thursdays I get up & cycle to be there at 9am, finish at 12, then cycle to college until 4. By the end of the day, I feel pretty damn tired and hardly capable of doing any homework.

Now, this may not apply so much as it does to manual work (Argos work involves walking around & climbing ladders) but take into consideration that you won't just be unable to work during your working hours - you'll also probably find it very difficult to muster the energy to do anything productive afterwards.

As for the shifts themselves, the night one could be troublesome as you need time to unwind after work and before bed. I find it easier to keep the momentum going and go straight to work from college if possible, but you might feel differently. Be careful working weekends - it's the time you'd usually rest after a busy week and you can really feel burnt out from not getting any proper free time. I felt completely depleted after my first few weeks of having college or work 7 days a week, and while it's something you get over, such a long shift at the weekend will leave you with little time for yourself.

All considered, I wouldn't go for it. Yes, money is important and it's great to be saving money up, but if it negatively impacts on your studies then it's just not worth it. The few thousand quid you can earn working now pales in comparison to what you will earn if you invest your time in studying and getting a good education. Personally, I can only afford to carry on working like this because my subjects (French, German and History) don't demand much formal learning outside of lessons, and if I were not working I would just be wasting the time anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (102)
19.73%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (211)
40.81%
Nope, not that interesting (204)
39.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed