I give up with twin block treatment

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm 17 and had twin block braces since January. At first, I was completely willing to cooperate with treatment and wore them for most of the day (except eating and cleaning). For the past few weeks, my top brace has hurt my mouth so much I've been fiddling with it/taking it out and wearing just the bottom brace, which is stupid, I know. I have a reasonably high pain threshold but for some reason, I'm a total wimp when it comes to mouth pain. I knew before I even started this treatment that it may not work and I may need jaw surgery anyway so I don't even see the point of wearing them anymore. The fact I have twin blocks at my age makes me more self-conscious than living with an underbite ever did (ironically, my underbite didn't even make me conscious, probably cause I didn't realise how severe it was before starting treatment).

I've been reading about jaw surgery but you apparently need train tracks beforehand...well, my underbite is so severe that I doubt my orthodontist would bother giving me those yet. I think my jaw has completely finished growing so what difference will blocks make now? The thought of wearing blocks for a few years just makes me so miserable that I've losty commitment for this treatment completely. I told both parents I wanted surgery and mam saw my side of it while my dad thinks I'm being silly.

TLDR: 17, have an appointment today and I'm tempted to just tell him I give up with twin blocks, but I know dad won't like it. My underbite is really severe so I don't know if I can get train tracks instead (which I could live with) and I need train tracks for surgery. What are my options?
Lottile
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would talk to your orthodontist about the possibility of surgery, they will be able to tell you more about whether it is a sensible option or not. If you end up planning to have surgery, just tell your Dad that your orthodox told you that it was the only way to fix it because blocks don't work for you.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Lottile)
I would talk to your orthodontist about the possibility of surgery, they will be able to tell you more about whether it is a sensible option or not. If you end up planning to have surgery, just tell your Dad that your orthodox told you that it was the only way to fix it because blocks don't work for you.
Thank you for the reply! I'll also be honest with the orthodontist and tell him I've lost my commitment for them...my underbite is quite severe so hopefully I'll be considered for surgery. As for my dad...he'll be there with me so he'll hear it all himself anyway.
charlotte1571
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i got block braces today, i know its the first day but they hurt so so much like screaming pain, and i look terrible and i cant eat or talk. im only doing this so i can get train tracks, but can i not just skip this? i really dont mind my overbite because i have taught my jaw to sit more forward
Bethany.whannel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I’m in the exact same position as you! I was told before I get my train tracks I need the twin blocks to fix my over bite. At first I though the same as you, but then the explained to me that In order to straighten the teeth, they have to have the jaw in a reasonable position first (this is why they are trying to fix the over bite) other wise when they straighten your teeth your face will look disfigured and your lips will look different because of the position of your teeth! They would also have to remove teeth in order to push them back this way! I hate my twin blocks, but I think in the end they will be worth it! It’s not great but it’s what they need to do to straighten your teeth! Hope this helped! Good luck with your teeth! They will be beautiful in the end just remember that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (34)
17.89%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.89%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (103)
54.21%

Watched Threads