Is the detector plate in TOF Spec negative? Watch

jazz_xox_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In my text book, and on an AQA document online, it’s stated that the detector plate is negative

The AQA document says exactly that the detector plate is negatively charged, and with positive ions hit the plate they gain an electron and become discharged
But I did a question that asked ‘explain how the current is generated at the detector’ and the Mark scheme specifically says do not allow ‘electrons gained from charged detector plate’

Not sure if I’m missing something or if one of these is incorrect? Thanks to anyone who can help clear it up
username3718068
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jazz_xox_)
In my text book, and on an AQA document online, it’s stated that the detector plate is negative

The AQA document says exactly that the detector plate is negatively charged, and with positive ions hit the plate they gain an electron and become discharged
But I did a question that asked ‘explain how the current is generated at the detector’ and the Mark scheme specifically says do not allow ‘electrons gained from charged detector plate’

Not sure if I’m missing something or if one of these is incorrect? Thanks to anyone who can help clear it up
The aqa textbook is correct by all means.

Remember that current is the rate of flow of charge with respect to time. The statement sounds ambiguous in trying to explain what and how the current is formed.
jazz_xox_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by dip0)
The aqa textbook is correct by all means.

Remember that current is the rate of flow of charge with respect to time. The statement sounds ambiguous in trying to explain what and how the current is formed.
Thank you! how would you would your answer to this question then?
username3718068
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jazz_xox_)
Thank you! how would you would your answer to this question then?
electrons flow from -ve plate to the + ions as they hit the -ve plate and become reduced. This flow of electrons in the detector is the current produced in the detector and is recorded.
evan.s11
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is that for as level paper 1?? If you have access to the paper can you please send it to me, I am a year 13 student and I want to see what type of questions I should expect for my actual alevel exam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (40)
7.72%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (301)
58.11%
No (177)
34.17%

Watched Threads