Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Gadget shop was fun but they never seemed to sell anything!

Yeah I remember about 14 years ago there was a good computer game shop in town, had about 2 of each console(At the time Mega CD's Neo Geos etc) and games were in glass cases and well priced.

Then it just vanished

And a old Cash Convertors that was fantastic up till about 7 years ago where they started giving people pennies for items and selling for a huge mark up then closed about 5 years ago.

Used to get rare import Snes games for £7.50 as new with manual and boxes, games like Super Street Fighter 2(when it was first released!) Secret Of Mana, Final Fantasy 2(snes)

Even the UK editions were well priced, like Phantasy Star 4 for £18 and Terranigma for snes £20(still sealed) etc.

Then I noticed police in there a lot just before it closed as they seemed to be buying loads of stolen stuff(I dont think it was on purpose but at same time I think they knew it was stolen by junkies) as I constantly saw people recollection stolen items.

ReputationRep:
    Wimpy is still around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoWZa)
    There was a game shop called "Electronics Boutique" or something which has now been renamed to "Game" I think.
    It was cool when it was EB. "Game" was about as cool as a glory-hole in a nursing home lavatory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklebolts)
    Fopp. :puppyeyes: It's only been gone for about a year but I miss it loads.
    it's coming back!!

mostly in the north tho...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoWZa)
    There was a game shop called "Electronics Boutique" or something which has now been renamed to "Game" I think.
    yeah, I remember the old name, use to always go there swapping playstation games

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoWZa)
    Game took EB over.

I guess Tammy's the big one for us girls of the '90s... I do shudder to think what we all must have looked like in our Spice Girls outfits!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate15)
    i miss wendys!
    those burgers were dynomite!
    I practically lived off them when I worked in America last summer, the smallest size drink was the equivalent of a UK large and the burgers were made with fresh ingriedients, they were top draw

ReputationRep:
    Tammy still exists - it's a franchise inside BHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charli_90)
    Music Zone was my life! I used to buy badges in there and adorn my bags/ clothes etc with them *sigh*
    tell me about it, cheap dvds and cds and I fancied a girl in there big time, probably never see her again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britishseapower)
    yeah, I remember the old name, use to always go there swapping playstation games
    Haha yeah. You could take games back there which was pretty awesome. The staff were really friendly and cool too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Tammy still exists - it's a franchise inside BHS.
    I mentioned that in my post. Too big for it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    Game took EB over.

I guess Tammy's the big one for us girls of the '90s... I do shudder to think what we all must have looked like in our Spice Girls outfits!
    This is news to me!

ReputationRep:
    The Discovery Store!
    i think most people went in to play with the stuff rather than buy it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahhh)
    The Discovery Store!
    Haha that shop was awesome!

ReputationRep:
    independent record stores.. they are few and far between.

ReputationRep:
    So id independant anything, used to have loads of good clothes shops, newsagents, toy shops which all lost out to the souless big franchises.

ReputationRep:
    Eisenegger or something , a clothes shop.

ReputationRep:
    Fopp is still around albeit owned by HMV.

(Original post by EarlHickey)
    So id independant anything, used to have loads of good clothes shops, newsagents, toy shops which all lost out to the souless big franchises.
    They can't have been that "good" or they wouldn't have "lost out".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahhh)
    The Discovery Store!
    Yea i was gonna say that. I'm not suprised it went bust, i mean no one actually bought anything :p:.

Woolworths is just tacky nowadays, the shops are always messy etc, the one in York has gone now, and one in Leeds whiterose.

ReputationRep:
    C&A stopped trading in the UK around 2001 - they're all over Europe though.

(Original post by Overground)
    There used to be a gadget shop in the Bullring, I'm pretty sure it was a chain store (it's the Bullring after all..) which shut down a couple of years ago. I remember people used to just go in and play about with things but never buy anything, hence it shut down. If you go from the Bull towards Topman/River Island it was about two shops in on the left hand side. Anybody?
    I remember... think it was only there for a few months.
    There was Elle as well but I'm not sure if that's vanished completely...

Oh yes, and MVC became Music Zone which eventually became Fopp
    all defunct

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.