Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Rumbelows (electrical goods chain who famously went bust, they briefly sponsered the league cup at the time when the premiership started)
    Tandy (electrical goods chain)
    Forbuoys (newsagent chain)
    Victoria Wine (off licence chain)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariad)
    Don't know if anyone's mentioned Kwik Save and Virgin. Can't remember who Kwik Save were taken over by
    They went bust last year, I don't think anyone bought all of their shops together, I think that they were dispersed.

ReputationRep:
    music zone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)

Woolworths! Although they stil lexist they are clearly on the way out - a major branch closed in my city which had been there for 80 years because the lease was coming up for renewal and i think they knew in 10 years it probably wasnt going to be turning over a profit!
    the big one in York has GONE!

i used to do a "cram-a-cup" thing where you paid £3 to put sweets in the cup...I usually got away with about 1.5kg of sweets...maybe that's why they're going bust?

ReputationRep:
    Dolcis appear to have folded.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I was in a Virgin Megastore in Birmingham in November... [on New Street, near M&S]

The Works is still around, although I miss Dillons bookshop too.

Bells Stores is still around too, [theres a few in my hometown and not all of them have been rebranded], and Sainsburys are branding them to "Sainsburys at Bells", so the name still exists. I haven't noticed that much of a price increase either.

And I see no-one has mentioned Littlewoods [the department store, the catalogue people still exist]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miroslava)
    ya, it became Zavvi in January.
    Oh

ReputationRep:
    Tower Records i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariad)
    Don't know if anyone's mentioned Kwik Save and Virgin. Can't remember who Kwik Save were taken over by, but Virgin are now Zavvis.
    Somerfield

(Original post by BasiConcept)
    Drayton Actually, why do you want to know
    Because it would be well weird if I knew you, that's all. Again, I'm probably being fairly stalkerish here, so you don't have to answer. If you go to Drayton, and I know you, it'll be through Ray T or Sarah G. (Not mentioning surnames on purpose...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miroslava)
    ya, it became Zavvi in January.
    I'm sure we have at least 2 Virgin shops left in Plymouth.:confused:

We have a Wimpy (somewhere on the A38) and The Works. I remember Dixons being taken over by Currys Digital.

ReputationRep:
    etam doesnt exist anymore was a pretty naff shop from what i can remember but tammy still exists in bhs and so does wimpy

ReputationRep:
    Happy shopper, R.I.P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    I remember Dixons being taken over by Currys Digital.
    You remember no such thing because currys and dixons have always been the same company - at least they fooled somebody
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I remember C&A - saw it in Munich though, went inside to see the clothes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    You remember no such thing because currys and dixons have always been the same company - at least they fooled somebody
    oh

ReputationRep:
    Fopp!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    oh
    They also own PC World and they owned The Link (mobile phone shop) - accoridng to wikipedia they only own the links website now though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    the big one in York has GONE!

i used to do a "cram-a-cup" thing where you paid £3 to put sweets in the cup...I usually got away with about 1.5kg of sweets...maybe that's why they're going bust?
    Indeed it has, and with a bit of luck it will be replaced with Primark (although i think Boots are nicking the spot).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u_dun_noe)
    I remember C&A - saw it in Munich though, went inside to see the clothes...
    Yeah they are still in Germany. Sure I saw one when I went to Monchengladbach.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.