Turn on thread page Beta

[Exam Jam] PHYSICS All Day Revision Thread - 30th May 2018 watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

Exam Jam Day Three - Physics!

TSR's Exam Jam week is still going strong, and as we approach the middle of the week, the focus for today is Physics!

Whatever level you're studying at, this is the place to ask questions, get advice and tell us about how your revision is going

For today only, we'll be using this thread as an All Day Revision thread, similar to the main one, but specifically for Physics The idea is that you post your start time, when you plan to stop, and what you want to get done in that time. Then you go off and (hopefully!) do it, and report back here what you manage to get done and then take a break

Unlike the main All Day Revision thread, we won't be running this at scheduled times, so you can just pop in and out whenever you're free and wanting to get some Physics revision done :excited: Another important note - though this is an "All Day" revision thread, there is no expectation on anyone to be revising all day. Please make sure you're all taking breaks when needed and doing things you enjoy during the day too!

Stuck with a past paper question? Maybe a part of a topic you just can't get your head around? This is the place to ask questions, and other students will answer them. This can work as a form of testing yourself, which is really beneficial to learning

Exam Jam Schedule (with helpful resources!)

Physics Strengths and Worries thread

Key Dates:
    iGCSE/GCSE Physics Paper 2: 15th June
    A Level Physics Paper 1: 4th June
    A Level Physics Paper 2: 8th June
    A Level Physics Paper 3: 14th June

Good luck everyone! :dumbells:

ReputationRep:
    PHYSICS!!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Your Local Cat)
    PHYSICS!!!

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Protostar)

What are you revising today? :moon:

ReputationRep:
    I've pretty much run out of harder questions to do so im not sure what to do now. I've just finished going through the spec and finding some obscure things (I found out we needed to know about single slit diffraction and how temperature affects the electrons in a thermistor if you are doing AQA).
    Im not sure what questions to do now tbh can anyone recommend any?
    (did AQA isaac physics and past/spec papers)

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely pooping myself for paper 2 and 3!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I’m going out at 12 so I’m going to try to answer as many practise questions on motion and forces as I can!:woo: (for edexcel gcse physics:party:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsaiahD)
    I've pretty much run out of harder questions to do so im not sure what to do now. I've just finished going through the spec and finding some obscure things (I found out we needed to know about single slit diffraction and how temperature affects the electrons in a thermistor if you are doing AQA).
    Im not sure what questions to do now tbh can anyone recommend any?
    (did AQA isaac physics and past/spec papers)
    you could do the physics olympiad A level challenge papers if you're looking for really hard questions. Otherwise, you could try and do the Edexcel papers or even OCR the spec is along the same lines as AQA so it should be alright but be careful

ReputationRep:
    I guess the best place to ask this question is here .

Why is it that T_3 = -T_2, this is a 3rd Law pair but I don't know why this arises. How can the top of the spring be compressed?
    Attached Images

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    What are you revising today? :moon:
    Most of Y1 A Level content tbh... exam on Monday and I'm not prepared

ReputationRep:
    Finished all AQA unit 1 and 2 questions from June 2010 to June 2017 legacy...

What now

Ive done the 2017/16 and linear specimens...

I think Edexcel papers now? But they arent as helpful...Theyre good for chem not physics idk HELP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXLander)

Why is it that T_3 = -T_2, this is a 3rd Law pair but I don't know why this arises. How can the top of the spring be compressed?
    The two springs are in parallel so it doubles the spring constant. They are more stiff so pulling up

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXLander)

As you said, its an equal and opposite force. T3 is equal and opposite to T1. I dont think T3 necissarily and applied force (one that will cause motion) but is a force that is the product of something (like the reaction force when something of a weight is put onto the ground, the reaction force doesnt mean its going to accelerate upwards). i reckon its just shown that they are in equilibrium. So T1 is in equil with T3 now what about T2. Well, the T1 forces are the reaction from the mass on the two springs at the top. This is also what T2 is (but T2 applies to the middle mass for the equal and opposite force).

So the equations are as follows

-2T1 = T3

but

-2T1 = -T2 (as they are both the reactions from the mass but just on different springs)

so therefore -T2 = T3

Im not 100% sure if this logic is right or not but its the best explanation i can come up with my current knowledge. Hope this sorta helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaspo)
    Wow that actually made me jump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protostar)
    Most of Y1 A Level content tbh... exam on Monday and I'm not prepared
    oh god I didn't realise they are so soon im pretty scared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by assassinjeev22)
    you could do the physics olympiad A level challenge papers if you're looking for really hard questions. Otherwise, you could try and do the Edexcel papers or even OCR the spec is along the same lines as AQA so it should be alright but be careful
    thanks, ill be sure to check them out - I guess the Olympiad papers would be pretty helpful for practical stuff since it mostly requires no prior knowledge

ReputationRep:
    Just did my Yr 10 Physics mocks. Went well.

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing OCR A A-level (A2) Physics then GTFIH and discuss how bad Paper 3 is gonna be.

ReputationRep:
    How should I prepare for Paper 3 Edexcel A Level. Any body have good resources on the core practicals? I don't have my own notes, not sure exactly what I need to know...

Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.