Anyone Ever Noticed You On TSR, And Confronted You In Real Life? Watch

Lizbut
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think people know me well enough on here to find out who I am in real life, never mind come up to me and announce who I am.
Glutamic Acid
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by allymcb2)
If you can't trust your closest friends with it, its not something you should be telling anyone and getting out of that whole argument H and R has an anon function, there would be no reason for your username to be anonymous even if I accepted that it would be acceptable to discuss certain subjects anonymously.

In response to the thread, someone left a public computer on remember me on TSR so I got logged in as them.
I don't think it's your place to be deciding who you should be telling. There are certain reasons why people are friends, who says one of them is that they're good to share personal problems with?

Yes, H+R has an anon function. But that's TSR. Suppose I was on another site which doesn't have one, what do I do then? And it may not even be health related anyway.
Angrybanana
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't want the other person in a relationship with me operating on the advice of a third party and not of their own accord. Nor would I want our personal situation posted on an internet forum, regardless of whether those people were strangers its not for them to judge on. If you were doing that without the consent of your other half then that is unfair and inappropriate.
You seem to be making an assumption that my decisions are made by people on this forum, which is wrong. And a personal situation is not personal at all when there is no visible connection to myself or my other half, it is an anonymous one- the very anonymity you were disparaging. As for whether it is inappropriate or not would depend entirely on what I was saying, and my own morals guide me on that.
noodles!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Never happened to me. I think someone on my halls site said they saw me but I can't have noticed. I don't mind though.

If you know me, come poke me or something.
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Had someone come up to me at an interview training day once (I was a student helper) and asked if I was F1 fanatic, that was a tad bit weird. Apart from that no-one has recognised me who I wasnt intending on recognising me.
allymcb2
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Glutamic Acid)
I don't think it's your place to be deciding who you should be telling. There are certain reasons why people are friends, who says one of them is that they're good to share personal problems with?

Yes, H+R has an anon function. But that's TSR. Suppose I was on another site which doesn't have one, what do I do then? And it may not even be health related anyway.
Its my place to make judgements about anybody that I happen to want to make thankyou, and my judgement about these people is that they are cowardly. Also, last time I checked, we were talking about TSR.

Strangers are bad people to share personal problems with. Friends may or may not be bad people to do that. If its that personal why share?
allymcb2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Angrybanana)
You seem to be making an assumption that my decisions are made by people on this forum, which is wrong. And a personal situation is not personal at all when there is no visible connection to myself or my other half, it is an anonymous one- the very anonymity you were disparaging. As for whether it is inappropriate or not would depend entirely on what I was saying, and my own morals guide me on that.
And your partner's moral guide on that: that is the crucial part. It is still personal, regarldess of whether someone knows your identity, they can still make a judgement about you and whether or not you post something involving someone else should involve thier consent.
~Ally~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
erm, realised a month or so ago that i went to uni and (kinda) lived with one of TSR's prolific posters. whats the big deal with this anyway? is t'interweb supposed to be Another Worlde, with evil monsters about to kill you if anonymity is removed?
Angrybanana
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And your partner's moral guide on that: that is the crucial part. It is still personal, regarldess of whether someone knows your identity, they can still make a judgement about you and whether or not you post something involving someone else should involve thier consent.
I think we should just agree to differ on this, seeing as we've gone totally off the topic.
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
Its my place to make judgements about anybody that I happen to want to make thankyou, and my judgement about these people is that they are cowardly. Also, last time I checked, we were talking about TSR.
And your judgement is based on silly reasoning. And no, we're talking about in general. You didn't say 'anonymity on TSR', you just said anonymity.
Strangers are bad people to share personal problems with. Friends may or may not be bad people to do that. If its that personal why share?
Once again, on what authority can you say this? The idea of posting under anonymity, is that these previously personal problems can cease to be so personal since you're discussing it with a stranger.
Rubix
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ally-Beal)
erm, realised a month or so ago that i went to uni and (kinda) lived with one of TSR's prolific posters. whats the big deal with this anyway? is t'interweb supposed to be Another Worlde, with evil monsters about to kill you if anonymity is removed?
allymcb2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And your judgement is based on silly reasoning. And no, we're talking about in general. You didn't say 'anonymity on TSR', you just said anonymity.

Once again, on what authority can you say this? The idea of posting under anonymity, is that these previously personal problems can cease to be so personal since you're discussing it with a stranger.
Well for the sake of keepiing it vaguely on topic, lets keep it to TSR, though I do think it in general, there are obviously going to be exceptions, like if you are part of MI5 or planning a revolution, or want advice about a legal issue etc. People do not stop being people because they are strangers. You still have an online persona, the presentation of which will lead people to judge you as a person. It is no less personal just becuase you don't see the person's face, or know their telephone number. It just means you are sharing your personal problems with people you aren't close to, as opposed to people who are.
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
Well for the sake of keepiing it vaguely on topic, lets keep it to TSR, though I do think it in general, there are obviously going to be exceptions, like if you are part of MI5 or planning a revolution, or want advice about a legal issue etc. People do not stop being people because they are strangers. You still have an online persona, the presentation of which will lead people to judge you as a person. It is no less personal just becuase you don't see the person's face, or know their telephone number. It just means you are sharing your personal problems with people you aren't close to, as opposed to people who are.
I don't know about others, but although there is a persona there is a different perceived persona. This is inevitable, since people do ultimately judge others on their looks. Any there's the idea of attachment. If I tell someone in real life about my horrible diarrhoea problem (I don't actually have one, by the way), this could get out and stay with me for a long time. If I post on an Internet forum, with nothing to link it to my real life, then this won't happen.
allymcb2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know about others, but although there is a persona there is a different perceived persona. This is inevitable, since people do ultimately judge others on their looks. Any there's the idea of attachment. If I tell someone in real life about my horrible diarrhoea problem (I don't actually have one, by the way), this could get out and stay with me for a long time. If I post on an Internet forum, with nothing to link it to my real life, then this won't happen.
It could online. They are just less likely to, and you have the option to delete yourself.

My point is really WHY WOULD YOU TELL ANYONE THAT EVER? OR ANYTHING IN THAT CATEGORY?

They are still in enough of a position to judge you for posting it to be ridiculous. I know plenty of people who go on H and R find the funny looking ones and laugh at the people. Its just like reading Pick me Up on there sometimes.
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
It could online. They are just less likely to, and you have the option to delete yourself.

My point is really WHY WOULD YOU TELL ANYONE THAT EVER? OR ANYTHING IN THAT CATEGORY?
Because you want help, or perhaps just because you want to get it off your chest without worrying about the consequences affecting your real life.
They are still in enough of a position to judge you for posting it to be ridiculous. I know plenty of people who go on H and R find the funny looking ones and laugh at the people. Its just like reading Pick me Up on there sometimes.
Well if they find it ridiculously, then what can they do about it? **** all, because it's anonymous. As opposed to real life.
allymcb2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Because you want help, or perhaps just because you want to get it off your chest without worrying about the consequences affecting your real life.

Well if they find it ridiculously, then what can they do about it? **** all, because it's anonymous. As opposed to real life.
PM the person lots of times. Neg rep. Post in the thread. Generally ridicule.
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
PM the person lots of times. Neg rep. Post in the thread. Generally ridicule.
But that can be so much more easily stopped online. Disable PMs, just ignore the PM, ignore them etc. Or the worst happens, just start a new account.
Rokit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nope. I sit in the library on TSR, people going past stop to look especially due to the tiny emoticons hopping all over the place. I have even told some of my course buddies about TSR but a lot of them are over 20's and think they are too cool for school to be on a student website
AntiLearner
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ive discovered some people on here who go to my college. Not sure if they've found out it's me yet, but I have nothing to hide anyway. I find it hilarious, the things they make up about themselves. When it's a completely different story in real life. Can't help but chuckle when I see them now.
allymcb2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But that can be so much more easily stopped online. Disable PMs, just ignore the PM, ignore them etc. Or the worst happens, just start a new account.
That would be cowardly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1495)
79.61%
Leave (383)
20.39%

Watched Threads