Co-transport of sodium and glucose Watch

Jagodacott
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, can someone help me write a simple step-by-step explanation of co-transport of glucose and sodium please?
I understand that they move together and that the sodium concentration is lower inside etc but I can’t seem to put it into words or find any useful diagram on google!

Thank you
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LiiHyde
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Jagodacott)
Hi, can someone help me write a simple step-by-step explanation of co-transport of glucose and sodium please?
I understand that they move together and that the sodium concentration is lower inside etc but I can’t seem to put it into words or find any useful diagram on google!

Thank you
Challenge Accepted!

I may have over simplified but essentially

Sodium
Ileum to Cell: Facilitated Diffusion
Cell to Blood: Active Transport

Glucose
Ileum to Cell: Active transport
Cell to Blood: Facilitated Diffusion

Your explanation for every single process will be to do with the concentration gradient!

Don't try and over think co-transport it's just fancier than normal carrier proteins 'cus it's one protein doing both active transport and facilitated diffusion.
Jagodacott
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Thank you so much!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LiiHyde
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You're very welcome, it's good revision for me too!
Jpw1097
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Jagodacott)

Thank you
Na+ ions within the cell are pumped out of the cell into the blood/interstitium via the Na+/K+-ATPase (sodium-potassium pump) in exchange for K+. This causes the Na+ concentration in the cell to fall, such that it is lower than the Na+ concentration in the gut or kidney tubule lumen - this sets up an electrochemical gradient. Therefore Na+ ions in the gut/kidney tubule lumen now move into the cell down their electrochemical gradient. This movement of Na+ ions down their electrochemical gradient can drive the movement of other substances, such as glucose, into the cell against their concentration gradient - it is not just glucose which is transported in this way, this process is used to transport lots of different substances such as amino acids. In the case of glucose, the specific transporters are SGLT1 and SGLT2.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (91)
16.52%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.16%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (98)
17.79%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (168)
30.49%

Watched Threads