Anonymoussss45
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys
I'm currently study chemistry geography and computing.
I recently discovered my passion for chemistry and want to apply to UCL however ucl requires maths. Should I take a gap year or apply to unis that don't require maths such as Lancaster or York
username4036268
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymoussss45)
Hi guys
I recently discovered my passion for chemistry and want to apply to UCL however ucl requires maths. Should I take a gap year or apply to unis that don't require maths such as Lancaster or York

In a different situation. Currently have an unconditional offer for Lancaster but want to apply to UCL instead.
However, A levels this year are going tragic due to extenuated reasons.
Thinking of taking a gap year to resit A levels and apply for UCL.
Reckon if I resit I can get A*A*AA and will even take up another a level to make my application stronger.
Reckon UCL will give me an offer if I resit in a gap year?
username4036268
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi guys
I definitely recommend visiting both Lancaster and UCL as they both have completely different environments. Depends if you would like living in a city or on a campus.
I realised a bit late that I would rather be in UCL because Lancaster is so far from where I live and I just really love London.
Anonymoussss45
Rep:
?
(Original post by NatSciences)
I definitely recommend visiting both Lancaster and UCL as they both have completely different environments. Depends if you would like living in a city or on a campus.
I realised a bit late that I would rather be in UCL because Lancaster is so far from where I live and I just really love London.
I'm just worried I'll regret the choice. And I think UCL is a better uni for job prospects. But I'm not sure if I can undertake maths AS&A2 in one year
username4036268
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm just worried I'll regret the choice. And I think UCL is a better uni for job prospects. But I'm not sure if I can undertake maths AS&A2 in one year
If you're only taking up maths it should be easy for you. You'll only have 6 exams in total and since they're all the same subject by the time you get to C3 and C4 all the rest will be pips.
Also the good think about maths is the way its weighted. Like each paper is worth 20% if you screw up one paper you have another 5 that can push up your grade.
I think both Lancaster and UCL have good job prospects, honestly I think the most important thing is if you like the course and if you like where you're going to be living for the next 3 or 4 years.
I had an offer for UCL and regret declining it.
Anonymoussss45
Rep:
?
If you're only taking up maths it should be easy for you. You'll only have 6 exams in total and since they're all the same subject by the time you get to C3 and C4 all the rest will be pips.
Also the good think about maths is the way its weighted. Like each paper is worth 20% if you screw up one paper you have another 5 that can push up your grade.
I think both Lancaster and UCL have good job prospects, honestly I think the most important thing is if you like the course and if you like where you're going to be living for the next 3 or 4 years.
I had an offer for UCL and regret declining it.
This probably sounds stupid to you but can you break down the maths modules so which ones are compulsory
username4036268
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This probably sounds stupid to you but can you break down the maths modules so which ones are compulsory

I'm doing the wjec spec in Wales butttt I think its the same in England unless theres a new spec.
Basically you have to do core 1, core 2, core 3, core 4 and these are compulsory.
Then you'll also do another 2 papers which can be stats 1 and stats 2 or mechanics 1 and mechanics 2.
In my school they get the pupils to do mechanics 1 and statistics 1 because the unit 2s are slightly harder since you're examined on A2 stuff whereas the unit 1s test you on As level maths.

So basically you'll do C1,C2,C3,C4 and S1+S2 or M1+M2 or S1+M1
Anonymoussss45
Rep:
?
I'm doing the wjec spec in Wales butttt I think its the same in England unless theres a new spec.
Basically you have to do core 1, core 2, core 3, core 4 and these are compulsory.
Then you'll also do another 2 papers which can be stats 1 and stats 2 or mechanics 1 and mechanics 2.
In my school they get the pupils to do mechanics 1 and statistics 1 because the unit 2s are slightly harder since you're examined on A2 stuff whereas the unit 1s test you on As level maths.

So basically you'll do C1,C2,C3,C4 and S1+S2 or M1+M2 or S1+M1
Thank you!
Hanky2222
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is a new spec. I’m on edexcel and I have 3 papers which are pure 1, pure 2 and mechanics and statistics.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As @hanky2222 has said, maths A level in England is now using a new linear specification. This is the last year that modular exams can be taken for the first time, the modular exams available next summer are for resit candidates only. There are no modules and all 3 examiners (AQA, EDEXCEL & OCR) offer the same compulsory Pure Maths, Mechanics and Statistics content. There is some variation is how they structure their exams.
Anonymoussss45
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
As @hanky2222 has said, maths A level in England is now using a new linear specification. This is the last year that modular exams can be taken for the first time, the modular exams available next summer are for resit candidates only. There are no modules and all 3 examiners (AQA, EDEXCEL & OCR) offer the same compulsory Pure Maths, Mechanics and Statistics content. There is some variation is how they structure their exams.
Am I able to sit the as level maths next summer and the a2 in my gap year?
Hanky2222
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can sit the as but it won’t count towards you final grade.
Anonymoussss45
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hanky2222)
You can sit the as but it won’t count towards you final grade.
Is it possible to do the full maths alevel and this coming school year alongside my 3 alevels
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you sit AS next summer it will be a linear AS level where the results don't count towards your final A level grade. You will be tested on the AS knowledge again when you do the full A level exams. The only benefits to taking the AS would be 1. You can assess objectively whether you are doing well or not 2. You will have real evidence of your potential final grade if you apply to university during your gap year. You need to offset that against the cost of taking the exams.

You could self study the full A level maths in one year and take it next summer. If you intend to do that I'd urge you to do a lot during the summer break to get a good head start. How successful you would be will depend on your aptitude for maths, effort levels and access to support/resources. It will inevitably reduce time available for your other subjects and that could impact your overall results. You would need to fit in the 3 extra exams required into what may be a busy exam timetable. Clashes would be likely and unless you were taking the exams in your current school that could become problematic.
Anonymoussss45
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
If you sit AS next summer it will be a linear AS level where the results don't count towards your final A level grade. You will be tested on the AS knowledge again when you do the full A level exams. The only benefits to taking the AS would be 1. You can assess objectively whether you are doing well or not 2. You will have real evidence of your potential final grade if you apply to university during your gap year. You need to offset that against the cost of taking the exams.

You could self study the full A level maths in one year and take it next summer. If you intend to do that I'd urge you to do a lot during the summer break to get a good head start. How successful you would be will depend on your aptitude for maths, effort levels and access to support/resources. It will inevitably reduce time available for your other subjects and that could impact your overall results. You would need to fit in the 3 extra exams required into what may be a busy exam timetable. Clashes would be likely and unless you were taking the exams in your current school that could become problematic.
Thank you very much for your insight
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (611)
33.79%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (758)
41.92%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (359)
19.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.42%

Watched Threads