Edgar Atheling - King? Yay or Nay

Watch
Ghostmaster475
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I've recently been looking at the Anglo-Saxon royal Edgar the Atheling who is a relative of Edward the Confessor.

It seems that after Edward's death and Harold's loss at the battle of Hastings in 1066, Edgar was appointed to be King by witan (basically the King's council in the Anglo-Saxon period) because he had a valid blood claim to the throne.

The controversy however lies with the fact that he may have been appointed King by the witan but he was never crowned, assumingly because he wasn't in power long enough for that to be the case since he quickly submitted to William's armies as they approached the capital. Did Edgar the Atheling count as King of England in that gap between Harold's death and William's consolidation of power?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ghostmaster475)
Did Edgar the Atheling count as King of England in that gap between Harold's death and William's consolidation of power?
Interesting debate.:beard:

I want to say no because I think from Harold's death, William becomes ruler in terms of power - obviously not quite administratively or legally, but he is the most powerful person in the country at that point, and I'd be surprised if post-Hastings, there was any doubt that William or Normandy wouldn't take over.
Ghostmaster475
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Interesting debate.:beard:

I want to say no because I think from Harold's death, William becomes ruler in terms of power - obviously not quite administratively or legally, but he is the most powerful person in the country at that point, and I'd be surprised if post-Hastings, there was any doubt that William or Normandy wouldn't take over.
Whilst you make a good point, post Harold's death, Williams ascension to the throne wasn't immediate, he had to make it to the capital and then begin his consolidation of power. In that time, Edgar the Atheling was able to raise an army with what little influence he had with support from the archbishops and any remaining Anglo-Saxon nobles but were eventually defeated by William's forces which is when he submitted and that's when William began consolidating his power since at that point there was no longer an imminent threat.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ghostmaster475)
Whilst you make a good point, post Harold's death, Williams ascension to the throne wasn't immediate, he had to make it to the capital and then begin his consolidation of power. In that time, Edgar the Atheling was able to raise an army with what little influence he had with support from the archbishops and any remaining Anglo-Saxon nobles but were eventually defeated by William's forces which is when he submitted and that's when William began consolidating his power since at that point there was no longer an imminent threat.
I'm sure Edgar did. But was he ever going to beat William? You're taking becoming king to mean ascending the throne - not necessarily the same thing when Kings have lost many battles outside of London, and been defeated.
Royal Knight
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nope, because as you said he wasn't crowned or anointed. Look at the events of 1216/17 when Prince Louis was briefly accepted as the new King of England by much of the nobility, yet his campaign was ultimately flawed (among other reasons) as he was never crowned, and thus isn't recognised as such. Also look at Henry the Young King who was crowned in 1170, but again isn't recognised today as a full king because he never held the full reigns of power.

I accept they're examples from later periods, but the importance of a coronation remains the same, and Edgar didn't have one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (180)
14.5%
I'm not sure (57)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.57%
I have already dropped out (36)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (601)
48.43%

Watched Threads