The Student Room Group

25% of Brits 'not willing' to accept Jews as family members

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RosieAppleLemon
You are moaning - doesn't specifically say in your name 'WhoreMuslimMoaner' (you get the idea, despite something a little crude)...

Hence, you do live up to the name.

So many possibilities and you select the main group. Some Christians treat Jews awful too, btw. It is all within the Abrahamic people. Sikhs are Brits too, so are Hindus, so are atheists... Hitler wasn't a Muslim, was he?

Nice that you isolated the followers of a religion that is constantly portrayed in a negative light through the media.

'is it much of a surprise?' - yes, that doesn't scream prejudice to me, at all. BTW, I am a Muslim myself, and my uncle has married a Jewish woman - it does happen.

So mate, don't chat sh*t. At least live up to the claims that you make.

You're right.

We shouldn't blame Muslims.

We should blame the religion that drives it :colone:
Original post by viddy9
Worryingly high levels of people, particularly in Central and Eastern Europe, would not accept Jews as fellow citizens either.

Rise of nationalist strongmen (Orban, Vucic, KGK, etc) most likely to blame, sadly.
Reply 22
Original post by anarchism101
Rise of nationalist strongmen (Orban, Vucic, KGK, etc) most likely to blame, sadly.

Or did these nationalist strongmen come to power because of the long history of xenophobia and racism (particularly anti-Semitism) within these countries? Though, I don't deny that people like Orban are likely whipping up further hatred.
Original post by whoremoan
All depends on ones interpretation of 'Brits', if these are all Muslims with a British nationality then is that much of a surprise b?

Interesting to see how many Jews would accept a Muslim into their family.
Original post by viddy9
Or did these nationalist strongmen come to power because of the long history of xenophobia and racism (particularly anti-Semitism) within these countries? Though, I don't deny that people like Orban are likely whipping up further hatred.

I don't think so. I think it's more about democratic structures not having been consolidated well enough. Germany obviously has a long history of racism, including of course antisemitism, but it remains a relatively stable democracy. Croatia and Serbia's authoritarian nationalist regimes since 1990 both emerged from the strong inter-ethnic harmony of Yugoslavia under Tito. By contrast, modern Turkey has pretty much always had a deeply racist and intolerant attitude to its minorities (Armenians, Greeks and Kurds in particular), yet its levels of democracy and strongman rule have moved up and down over time.

Though to be fair, I don't think it's just the big-name current people in power. For example, Trump wouldn't have won without the rise in "racial resentment" (i.e. racism) of GOP voters, but that itself wouldn't have happened without the earlier populist reactionary movements on the right of the GOP (e.g. Tea Party).
Reply 25
Original post by RickHendricks
I'd rather look at it as 75% of Brits willing to accept Jews as their family members.

They could simply be indifferent about it as opposed to actually 'willing' though.
Bro I bet if Alan Sugar walked in, the dad be like "Ah Mr Sugar, you're my Sugar all right, please please come on in, yeah sure please test out my daughter, just give her a chance man, yeah yeah sure she'll satisfy your circumcised c*ck no problemo just marry her pls."
Of course this turns into a muslim debate...
Original post by Trinculo
About 25% of the registered electorate voted Labour - the official party of Jew hating, so those stats seem just about spot on.

because there is no history of jew hating on the right of politics.
Original post by whoremoan
All depends on ones interpretation of 'Brits', if these are all Muslims with a British nationality then is that much of a surprise b?

Given that Muslims make up about 4% of the UK population, I don't really understand how you're trying to use that as an explanation for this...
Original post by Plagioclase
Given that Muslims make up about 4% of the UK population, I don't really understand how you're trying to use that as an explanation for this...

Its always the moslims ok
Original post by Plagioclase

I would like to see some commentary by a polling expert here.

Two things occur to me.

1 The world Jew isn't common in conversation in the UK. We refer to people being Jewish not being a Jew. Calling someone a Jew in the UK doesn't mean they practise Judaism or is a member of a particular ethnic group that traditionally practised Judaism. Rather it is a synonym for meanness and financial dishonesty. Did the form of the question distort the answers?

2 The polling organisation established the religion of respondents including non-practising Christians. Did forcing respondents to think about their own religion influence the answers?
Just a thought , but would it cross their mind to ask what percentage of Jewish people who would not be willing to accept non Jews as family members?
Just like Muslims Jews are very endogamous. I would bet it would be waaay higher than 25%.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by viddy9
Worryingly high levels of people, particularly in Central and Eastern Europe, would not accept Jews as fellow citizens either.

Mostly because religion there is a bit more conservative.
Original post by Napp
They could simply be indifferent about it as opposed to actually 'willing' though.

that would either suggest they are either:
Don't care about a Jew in their family or
Would love a Jew in their family.

I can't see anything else here, since anyone who doesn't want a Jew in their family, or is not willing would fall into the 25% category.
Reply 35
that would either suggest they are either:
Don't care about a Jew in their family or
Would love a Jew in their family.

I can't see anything else here, since anyone who doesn't want a Jew in their family, or is not willing would fall into the 25% category.

Maybe but to extrapolate 75% would actively want one in the family is being dishonest with the data. As that question was never asked you cannot simply assume that to be the case.
Original post by Just my opinion
Just a thought , but would it cross their mind to ask what percentage of Jewish people who would not be willing to accept non Jews as family members?
Just like Muslims Jews are very endogamous. I would bet it would be waaay higher than 25%.

Not sure whether this helps, but I'd say it would be around 25% aswell.

Since this web gives me an idea of such: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/05/quarter-married-or-cohabiting-uk-jews-non-jewish-partner

Even so I don't see what it could cause, since this entire investigation itself is quite vague since we aren't told exactly what kinds of British they interviewed. It could be Muslim Brits whom they interviewed, in which case, I'm not surprised it's 25%.
Reply 37

Since this web gives me an idea of such: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/05/quarter-married-or-cohabiting-uk-jews-non-jewish-partner

Even so I don't see what it could cause, since this entire investigation itself is quite vague since we aren't told exactly what kinds of British they interviewed. It could be Muslim Brits whom they interviewed, in which case, I'm not surprised it's 25%.

Seriously?

If you read the article in the OP you would know you were talking rubbish.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
If you read the article in the OP you would know you were talking rubbish.

that's why I didn't say "it is 25%" I said it might be near 25%. I didnt give them an actual article that was directly answering them.

Original post by Napp
Seriously?

would i be in the wrong to say that the religious communities get along perfectly fine with each other?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending