rlyHenny
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ok so I'm trying to make the most of this half term to revise for my Year 12 mocks before the summer holidays, and I was wondering if someone could state the trend in ionisation energy across a period and down a group referencing to shielding, nuclear charge and atomic radius. Thank you!
kunal123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ionisation energy increases across the period, this is because the nuclear charge of the atom increases as well as the atomic radius decreasing means there is more attraction between the outermost electron and the nuclei hence requires more energy to remove the electron as you go across the period, whilst sheilding remains the same.

ionisation energy decreases down the group, this is because although nuclear charges increases, the atomic radius increases as well as an increase in sheilding due to there being more shells in the atom as you go down the group, hence the attraction for the outermost electron and the nuclie decreases and requires less energy to remove the outmost electron.

(Original post by rlyHenny)
Ok so I'm trying to make the most of this half term to revise for my Year 12 mocks before the summer holidays, and I was wondering if someone could state the trend in ionisation energy across a period and down a group referencing to shielding, nuclear charge and atomic radius. Thank you!
rlyHenny
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by kunal123)
ionisation energy increases across the period, this is because the nuclear charge of the atom increases as well as the atomic radius decreasing means there is more attraction between the outermost electron and the nuclei hence requires more energy to remove the electron as you go across the period, whilst sheilding remains the same.

ionisation energy decreases down the group, this is because although nuclear charges increases, the atomic radius increases as well as an increase in sheilding due to there being more shells in the atom as you go down the group, hence the attraction for the outermost electron and the nuclie decreases and requires less energy to remove the outmost electron.
Thank you!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed