What do your parents do for a living? Has this affected your choice of degree/career? Watch

cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My parents left school at young ages. My Dad I only met last November - he's a tram driver.
My Stepdad is an electrician, and my Mum's done various supermarket/bank/play area/fast food restaurant jobs in the past, and is now registering to become a childminder.
Their careers have had no impact on me really. My Mum always said she wanted me to do well for myself, but I did how I did without that influence.
Lizbut
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My parents were both in the police force, Dad's retired now though.

I'm going to study English/History this year. Sooo .. yeah.
Buecherwurm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My mum is a nurse, so is my sister. My dad was working in a hospital, as was my grandfather before him.
I like to hang out in the hospital with them (weird, but I somehow like hospitals, there was probably something wrong in my childhood with all of them ) but I would NEVER be able to become a nurse or a doctor.
So they didn`t influence me too much. I am going to study Psychology and English, but since my sister has been working in a hospital for mental deseases there is probbly a connection between that. We talked about her job a lot and I was able to visit her, meet people who studied psychology and so on.
Frannnnn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My ma was a Nursing Sister of Intensive Care Unit
Pa runs his Lorry Haulage company.
I'm training to be a nurse.
LO :)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My mum is a nurse and my dad is a builder.

I'm going to study Law this year...
thepinkpowerranger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by schrodinger's cat)

Maybe having a preference towards sciences or arts is genetic ...probably more likely that i've just been subtely influenced.
I love both. Science kind of won but the arts are still there.

I don't understand why I am the way I am... I'm a bit a science/maths geek as well tbh... my dad once got annoyed at my maths homework cos he couldn't do it when I was about ten. My dad failed his maths O Level twice and didn't get any sciences either and my mum didn't even take them... Gawd knows where I get my love maths and science from...
retro-pixie-chic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Both my dad and sister are doctors and my mum is a nurse, but i could never see myself working in a hospital. All our conversations at home revolve around 'diseases', 'operations' etc. I can't stand it. I think it may have even influenced my fear being in a hospital, let alone working in one.

I'm more of an artsy type. My dad, beng Iranian, is not so impressed.
louisedotcom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jenren22)
If i wasn't doing geography i'd do psychology...fascinating subject.
Lol some of it.
But alot of it makes we want to tear my own eyeballs out
Unfortunatly we dont get to do the fun stuff all the time :mad:
A Stranger in Moscow
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My Mum is a teacher with degrees in Art, History/English Lit and a Open University qualification in Chemistry...
My Dad teaches and writes about Art History/Archeology/Medieval History and did his degree in History and has a PhD in Philosophyy...
I wanted to do Philosophy at University for a long while but I've changed my mind. However my Dad is an expert on Mexican Photography (lol, pointless) and that influenced me to do Spanish over French.

I did English Lit, Chemistry, Spanish, Philosophy and Maths for AS level. There are a few connections.
My Mum always tells me not to be a teacher because it's ****, even though she likes her job. ^_^

As you can see they basically don't do anything that's not based around academia but I think I'd rather do a 'real' job
Crimson Black
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My dad studied law at Oxford, almost got a pupillage (bloke died), transferred to accounting. Is now a partner with KPMG.

Mum was a bilingual secretary for ten years.

I'm at the tail end of a German/History degree. So, yeah, where I was born (Germany) influenced me, and my dad and I both love history. Next year I'm doing a GDL, because I guess the law-loving part of my dad has passed onto me (and only recently awoken... ).
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My dad is the CEO of an energy management company, and my mom acts as the secretary. Neither went to university.

I on the otherhand want to eventually complete a doctorate in Clinical Psychology.
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My Dad writes speeches for a government minister; he's really put me off of working for the civil service (or at the very least doing what he does!). But then again, writing speeches has never really been my forté, I was always better at presenting them. My Mum is a secretary... and I don't really want to do that!

I want to enter the police force... dunno where that's come from, though!
Kater Murr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not really. Dad's a farmer, and mum's not particularly qualified, but tends to do odd home-making type jobs to get by.

So, no.
d0mz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, my dad is a managing director and he is what sparked off my interest in business, and I mentioned him a lot in my personal statement. My mother on the other hand is a midwife, and I cant think of anything worse than pulling a barely alive bloody naked child out of a gaping and probably bleeding vagina.
dita_parlo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dad is a security guard and mum is now medically retired but was a sales rep. I'm training to be a teacher.
FoeGeddaBowDeet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wow, there are a lot of very rich families on here based on the job descriptions.
AsphyxiateD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My Dad is a prison officer but worked with a broken hand for 6 months (he's far too tough for his own good) so he's on leave or whatever at the moment. My Mom is a pre-school teacher.

Neither of their professions have any influence on what I study... the only way it influences me I guess is how I've been trained to fight since I was 5 by my Dad due to the dangerous nature of our area, and part of what he taught me is needed for his job. That's the only thing I can think of.
The Nightingale
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My Dad is a financial advisor... he keeps saying he wants me to go into it, so I can take over his business when he retires. But my heart wouldn’t be in it. I’ve done bits of work experience for him, and I just find it boring and uninspiring.

My Mum doesn’t work.

I think my Dad’s job has influenced me in the sense that I definitely wouldn’t want to work in anything to do with finance. Aside from that, no.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol, not in the slightest. My mum hasn't even got A Levels and she works as a bursar in a primary school (no chance of any career like that every coming my way, I'm crap at maths!); my dad has a degree from what is now Hertfordshire University and works as a Senior Account Manager for Oracle.

I, however, am looking at going into teaching languages, or into journalism. Languages run in my family, as does teaching, but my parents were never really that way inclined. My sister is training to be a doctor.
em_ily31
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
neither of my parents went to uni

my mum used to be a fraud investigator but now works for my dad / housewife, and my dad worked in them motor trade for much of my childhood, but is now owns a successful business [still in the motor trade]

so neither have influenced me in the slighest to read social anthropology

but i guess some sort of work ethic rubbed off, and they've always said the whole "we want you to have everything we didn't" sorta thing
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (191)
18.65%
No (620)
60.55%
Not really bothered about them (213)
20.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed