Biological Sciences at Oxford.....

Watch this thread
RainbowDiva
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently doing GCSEs but am really interested in doing Biological Sciences at Oxford; I would like a career in genetics.
So can you tell me everything I need to know? How to best improve my chances of getting in, what the course is like, what it's like to be a student at Oxford, accomodation....everything really.
¡Mucho gracias!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RainbowDiva)
I'm currently doing GCSEs but am really interested in doing Biological Sciences at Oxford; I would like a career in genetics.
So can you tell me everything I need to know? How to best improve my chances of getting in, what the course is like, what it's like to be a student at Oxford, accomodation....everything really.
¡Mucho gracias!
Or you could do your own research. You aren't going to get far with either getting into or surviving Oxford if you expect other people to do your research for you. Read around the topics that will be taught for your PS. You can read up on course structure and accommodation on the website.
OxFossil
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RainbowDiva)
¡Mucho gracias!
You'll be best advised to start off by looking around the Oxford Uni website, which is comprehensive.

The Biological Sciences intro on that site is here. As you will see, the Department is in the process of restructuring the course.

Up till now, I'd say the overall content of the Biology course at Oxford hasn't been hugely different from the content of the same course at other unis. The biggest differences are that you have to write an essay and discuss it at a tutorial every week, so the workload is high. The other big difference is that your everyday life beyond the taught curriculum is organised around the college you belong to. There is no centralised student union building. A visit on one of the university Open Days will help you understand how that works (the next are on 27th and 28th June).

AS you already know, the key to getting in is to excel in your GCSEs and A Levels and to impress with your PS and interview. Unlike most subjects, there is still no admissions test for Biological Sciences. Good luck.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You may want to consider their Biochemistry course as well if you are interested in Genetics. If you are particularly interested in human genetics, the Human Sciences or Biomedical Sciences courses may also be relevant.

It would likely be beneficial to plan on taking A-level Chemistry as well as the assumed A-level Biology, as many biosciences degree courses, especially in Genetics and related "biomolecular" areas, require a Chemistry background as well as Biology (this is beyond Oxford, which doesn't expressly require it for Biological Sciences, although does for some of the courses mentioned above).. A-level Mathematics may also be a useful background; in general for the sciences (including biosciences), taking as much Maths for as long as possible is helpful, even if it's not a formal requirement. This is not necessarily in terms of admissions and looks forward more to the undertaking the degree itself, doing well in it, and then going on to some relevant area (be it in industry or academia e.g. a PhD).
Xsjajosa
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Do some research lmao
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (134)
66.34%
No (46)
22.77%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
10.89%

Watched Threads