Is it worth doing a Creative Writing MA?

Watch this thread
mysticalfluffy
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm not asking whether it will teach me to write well. I'm more interested in networking and opportunities to meet publishers/literary agents.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mysticalfluffy)
I'm not asking whether it will teach me to write well. I'm more interested in networking and opportunities to meet publishers/literary agents.
Depends on where you do it and what that course will expose you to. In terms of actually needing it I don't think you go. The networking bit is key and doing a masters is an expensive way to do that.
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If its publisher & agent networking opportunities that you're interested in Faber Academy's 6 month course is the one for you- their opportunities are a goldmine.
The course is 6 months long, gives access to some of the biggest names in publishing and costs about the same as a masters.
It's best embarked on if you have a finished fiction manuscript that you are looking to polish, get feedback for and sell to agents/publishers.

There are other courses and events that provide good opportunities to raise your profile with agents & publishers- if you have a completed manuscript.
Happy to message you more details if you want.
mysticalfluffy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
If its publisher & agent networking opportunities that you're interested in Faber Academy's 6 month course is the one for you- their opportunities are a goldmine.
The course is 6 months long, gives access to some of the biggest names in publishing and costs about the same as a masters.
It's best embarked on if you have a finished fiction manuscript that you are looking to polish, get feedback for and sell to agents/publishers.

There are other courses and events that provide good opportunities to raise your profile with agents & publishers- if you have a completed manuscript.
Happy to message you more details if you want.
Sure do send me a message about that, please. I read a bit about that course already. Did you do it?
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
No, I'm writing non-fiction at the moment.
I've got a few friends that did Faber's Writing A Novel course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (10)
35.71%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (9)
32.14%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
7.14%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
3.57%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (2)
7.14%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
10.71%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
3.57%

Watched Threads