Turn on thread page Beta

Is 24 too old to go travelling?and how easy is it to find casual work in Australia? watch

ReputationRep:
    OK, this is rather sad but here goes...

I finished uni last summer and instead of doing what I really wanted to do and going travelling or taking a gap year, I opted for the sensible, boring option of joining the rat race and getting a 9-5! I quite enjoy the job and they're paying for me to do a part time masters from next september, but I really need to get out of this country for a long period of time or I'll resent it all my life! So basically I'm having a bit of an early 20s crisis. I want the work experience and the qualification, but I'm also desperate to take a year off and go to Australia and North America... I'll be 24 by the time my course is done and I can quit work... just wondering if anybody else has ever done anything similar? I feel like I've thrown my youth away a bit!

And on a bit of a different note, how easy is it in Australia to find work in a shop/bar/call centre and just work there for a short period of time (like a month or two). I'll be going in 2010 and even after I've paid back my employers for taking their uni course and then walking out I should have at least £5,000-6,000 saved up, but I'll probably need to top it up from time to time, and I'm just wondering about how practical this is in real life.

I've got 2 and a half years to plan so it's going to be one hell of a trip hopefully!

its never too late to do what you want. go for it. theres loads of time to work out the details

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine is in Australia with two of his mates after finishing his A-levels last year, they've all bagged themselves a pretty decent job and they're having a great time!! Something I wouldn't mind trying either!

ReputationRep:
    Instead of quitting your job could you just not take a sabbatical? A fair few of my friends have done it to go on around-the-world trips and random travelling and that might be a nice solution, as you'd still have a job to go to after you've blown all your money away. Unless you obviously just want to quit and get something else afterwards. Finding bar-work, random fruit-picking and other McJobs is quite easy really when you're travelling, and shouldnt be too much of an issue when you go to the Aussies but you could try to organise yourself something more interesting, considering you'll have your Masters at that time.

Best of luck to you though, and I am sure it will go fine. I've done a fair bit of travelling before uni, and can say it was an amazing experience and would definately recommend anyone to do the same. It really does open your eyes to different cultures and makes you so much more apt at dealing with anything life throws you with. 24 is defo not too old!

ReputationRep:
    Definetly not too old.
    You'll also find it easy to get work being older, and I guarantee you'll experience more than if you were fresh out of A' levels

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys, it's definitely something I need to do - if I could go back now to the point I was offered the job I'd probably decline, but I've made my decision and I'd better stick through the next 2 and a half years or so, work hard, save money, get my masters under the belt and try and make it to Sydey for New Years 2010!

Probably won't be able to take a sabbatical, as my team is a pretty small one and they'd want to fill the position, but it does give me the opportunity to return to the south-east after I get back from travels and looks for work there (which is what I planned originally before accidentally getting a job in Leeds). Just wish I could fast forward the next 2 and a half years though really!

ReputationRep:
    Good on you for sticking it out and honouring your decision/commitment.
    It's not too old at all - I'll be 24 when I graduate next year, and I'll prob do a masters then before taking off somewhere...so I'll be 25.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.