Turn on thread page Beta

English Lit - Lord of the Flies watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    It may do, but i think it's highly unlikely!

ReputationRep:
    Good I'm hoping for a character-based question, preferably Jack, or an interesting question you an think about and explore, like the ones on the 2005/6 paper (can't remember which) "Explain why Lord of the Flies is a suitable title for the novel".
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I want a character based question! Something on say 2 characters, where there is so much to write

ReputationRep:
    A character based would be great, and there wasn't one last year! I think either in 2005 or 2006 there was something like "How does Golding present Piggy and Simon", so a similar question but about Ralph and Jack or something would be cool.

ReputationRep:
    I rememb er one something on th eline of..."How does Golding present the relationship of Ralph and Jack and how did it contribute to the outcome of the story?"
    Somehow, I was a bit stuck on that one... =D
    And I only thought of ...he used contrast and a rich vocab. >__>

Looks like my teacher is right, I can only do pure comparision/descriptive essays.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind that question, but I would probably ramble for ages on it and run out of time. Our mock was "How is Piggy important to the novel and how does Golding present him", which was OK, but I found it kinda hard to structure for some reason.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    That was my mock question too!

ReputationRep:
    They were probably both taken from the same paper then.....was your other choice something about the beast? That was ours.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    We weren't given a choice, just that one!

ReputationRep:
    Really? lol we had that question and one about the beast to choose from, which were both ok I suppose. We had questions set by English group though as we are all doing different texts, but the other group doing LOTF apparently had awful questions like "describe and explain the mood in Chapter 11 and how Golding presents this" or soemthing....I hope we don't get a question like that in the real thing

ReputationRep:
    Me too, and we do get to choose in the real exam right?

Btw guys, this is a little bit off-tpoic but according to past grade boundaries, for english, the "A" boundary seems to be roughly around 76% (for Edexcel), is this the mark you ahve to gain for each of the exams or overall (so including the courseworks as well)? Because if it's overall, then you only need about 55/75(which is like a "B") to get the A if you got "A" in your coursework and that seems to be a little strange. :/

Thanks!^_^

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, we get a choice of 2 questions in the exam (for AQA- are you with Edexcel? I would presume that you still would get a choice though).

And i think it means overall with coursework as well- and it does make the boundaries seem really low. I got an A* overall on my coursework and I've just worked out that I need to just scrape an A in each essay in the exam in order to get an A* overall. it seems a bit strange, but that's the benefit of doing coursework I suppose!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Yeah we get a choice of two questions in the real exam! I got a high A* on my coursework, so I probably need the same as you lil_miss_rapunzel!

ReputationRep:
    I assumed that the A* boundary will be about 85% and then did the minimum that my coursework could be (we were just told grade, so lowest A* is 25/27 average) and worked out from that that I need to get at least 22/27 on each essay to get an A* overall. If your coursework is a high A* then the mark you need to get A* overall might even be a high B in each essay- 21/27 in each one. I know that I still need to do well in the exam but it has taken the pressure off a bit because I never perform as well in exams as in coursework so it's good to know that i don't need to get almost 100% in the exam to get A*

I'm worried about Speaking and Listening in the Language part though- from what I can remember we have only done one piece of assessed oral work throughout the course (all other groups have done monologues, loads of assessed drama, presentations, etc. )and although teacher insists that he has oral marks for us, he hasn't given them out yet and I know mine aren't going to be very good, so I hope that won't drag my grade down.

P.S. Sorry OP about how off topic this is

ReputationRep:
    That's good to know! =D
    Yes I am doing Edexcel and well done on the "A*"s you two! ^__^
    I worked out I need to score high "A"s in the exams to get the A* (unlikely to get it but oh well, I guess an A will do).XD

@lil_miss_rapunzel:
    lol don't worry about the whole off-topic thing, I started it (XD), I might as well modify the thread title a bit.XD
    I don't think you should worry about your speaking at all because almost everyone does better in speaking than written coursework, okay, at least this applies to my school. I thought I screwed out my speaking(litearlyl thought I was going to get "D") but turned out I had "A"s so I guess was quite safe.XD So you should be fine!
    I am really dreading the exams though, because I just do so badly in them The highest I ever got was a 34/40. U__U.

ReputationRep:
    It's still really possible for you to get A* overall even though you have to get high As- people often do better than they expect in Literature. One recent year at my school had about 5/6 people who got 100% in the exam!

I'd be happy with an A overall too though- I'm not taking English at all for AS-Level and I'm definitely not expecting A* because I find it really hard to write essays under timed conditions, so it's most likely that I'll muck up the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_miss_rapunzel)
    It's still really possible for you to get A* overall even though you have to get high As- people often do better than they expect in Literature. One recent year at my school had about 5/6 people who got 100% in the exam!

I'd be happy with an A overall too though- I'm not taking English at all for AS-Level and I'm definitely not expecting A* because I find it really hard to write essays under timed conditions, so it's most likely that I'll muck up the exam.
    Wow, that's really encouraging but the thing is, English is my worst subject and for my mocks(in yr10 and yr11), I only got middle "B" overall so I am not sure (I just find making points really hard and I always waffle, I can never stop doing that.XD), but nevertheless, I will try my best as I don't want to be negative. ^__^

And yeah, I am not taking it either, and that's one reason why I am looking forward to A-levels despite of it having the A* next year and sounding extremely hard (and all that).

I'm sure you won't muck up the exam though, you certain are an A* student so go for it and rock the exam! ^__^//

ReputationRep:
    Lol thanks- I'll try to rock the exam but I doubt that will happen. I suppose it all depends on the questions we get and time management.
    I'm looking forward to A-levels too- no more essay writing subjects! Well, apart from General Studies but that doesn't really count for anything. I think it'll be good to have the opportunity to attempt to get the A* but it's going to be so hard...my maths teacher was talking about it and he said not many people at all nationally will get the A* in our year, but gradually the boundary will drop and eventaully it will end up with A* being the new A because schools will change exam boards if one board starts getting more A*s, so every exam board will lower the boundaries to try and get more schools to stay/change to them.
    Good luck with your English (and other exams) too!

ReputationRep:
    @lil_miss_rapunzel :
    Woah? How high is the maths boundary? I thought it's 85%? Now the thing is, I have no problem if the grade boundary is like that for maths, or even higher(because I can actually sit down and revise for maths) but English, it's like my worst nightmare!XD This is just me.^^;;;
    Good luck to you too with all of your other exams! And to everone as well1
    Go us 2008 GCSE-ers! It's a leap year as well so hopefully that will give us some luck! =D!!

ReputationRep:
    I mean A* will be really hard to get for A level not for GCSE lol- it usually is around 85%, or sometimes lower (around 82%) on Edexcel. I much much prefer Maths to English too- I like the fact that it's questions that you can properly revise for, with set answers, rather than open ended essay questions. With Maths (I find anyway) if you revise loads and do past papers then you have a good chance of doing well whereas in English it all depends on the question.

For A-level I think the A* boundary will be something like 90% UMS overall as well as an average of 90% on all the A2 units (because they're harder)?

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.