Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    @lil_miss_rapunzel:
    Oh sorry, yeah, tbh, i don't even mind of the A* boundary for maths being at 95%.XD
    Yeah, I really hope English will be easy this year because from past reports, the boundaries seem to have been dropping (yes!), fingers crossed for easy questions!

Oh good news for the A-levels, we won't have A*s for AS but as long as we get 90% or more in A2 and an overall of 80% then we can get the A*!
    So we can actually get 70% in AS and then 90% in A2 and still get the A* (w00t!)

ReputationRep:
    I dout I'd get A* in Maths if it was 95%- I always make silly mistakes that cost a lot of marks, like misreading the question, or like in the mock when with the quadratic equation, I divided by 2b rather than 2a even though I had written 2a down, and lost the full 4 marks for the question but if there was a subject where the boundary was 95% I would rather it be Maths than anything else.
    English boundaries are dropping?! About what precentage is it to get A*? We always went by 85%-A*, 75%- A, 65%-B, etc in mocks and stuff, but generally is it lower than that now? *crosses fingers*
    The A* in A-level sounds quite fair actually- 80% overall and 90% in A2- hopefully it'll be achievable!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, but with the number of UMS available at A-level (600 for maths right?0, the little mistakes will be evened out, I make silly mistakes all the time (many embarrassing ones which even KS3 students can get it right easily at times too), and you don't even need to get all the questions right to get the full UMS, at least I was told like that by my friend.
    Woah, my school always went with the 90%-A*, 80%-A, 70%-B thing.
    Yeah, according to the past examiner's reports, they always include the boundaries for cwork and exams in the reports (for Edexcel only though), I remember 2003 was something like 76% for A, 86% for A*, then last year, it was something like 73% for A and 83% for A*. Let's hope it will drop even lower this year so we grab our desired grades! XD
    Good luck! Go us GCSE-ers!

ReputationRep:
    loads of ppl get A*s! im doin the lord of the flies gcse exam on tuesday and im really worrid its the exam im most worried about u dnt have enough time to write about a play, poems and lord of the flies novel! and you dont get the book you only get the play book (dancing at lughnasa) im gona make notes tonight on appearance and stuff on each character (the main ones piggy ralph jack and simon) and some notes on themes ..im hoping for an A or a B i cud get an A* in english language if i try its easy =D

i chose geog ict religion and biology for A levels =D

ReputationRep:
    can any1 believe that roger came up or is it just me!!! i did fear i think i did pretty well it went far better than i thougt!! wat did any1 else think?

ReputationRep:
    Roger? What exam board are you with? I wouldn't mind a Roger question actually...
    I'm AQA A, which seems to be one of the most common ones, and we had questions on Simon and how the opening paragraph prepares you for the rest of the novel, but I seem to be the only person on the face of the Earth who didn't do the Simon question, so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing! lol

ReputationRep:
    I assume we can talk about Eng lit now? ^^;;; Just checking because I don't want another warning email.>__<.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    You definitely can Nimbus

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, thank youuu!! I can finally speak! =D

Ok..here I go...
    Ahhhhhh.....the exam was sooo hard!! @[email protected]!!!! Before the exam, I was panicking lke mad!! *remembers how she ran around the canteen before entering the exam hall*
    Okay...well, what questions did you guys get? =D (I see a roger one! Interesting!).

I do Edexcel Eng lit and we had some bizarre LotF questions. One was about the fire and conch and how they symbolse civilisation or something like that and the other one was on Ralph and Jack and how they reflect upon the main theme of good and evil. I chose the fire and conch one and rrealised half way through that I should have chose the other one(as I really wanted to talk about the conflictsand focusing especially on savagery)..XD oops..XD

What about he play and poem questions guys? I did a Saemus Heaney(poem) one and an "An Inspector Calls" one on collective responsibility(through the use of the Inspector)..XD I've totally mucked up the play one as I only realised the "Inspector" bit half way through the essay..oops..>__>..XD

So how did you guys find them all, and please share your experiences.
    *has been panicky about the whole lit exam for nearly a week..and probably will continue until results day*.XD
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    The Ralph and Jack one does sound rather interesting. I'm sure you'll have done very well Nimbus, try not to worry. I'm on AQA Spec A and one of our questions was "What is Simon's importance in the novel and how does Golding present him?" and the other one, which I vaguely remember was something about how the start of the novel sets the reader up for the rest of Lord of the Flies. I chose the first one. I'm pretty sure that the majority of people did, since it was deemed the "easier" choice, so to speak. The poetry was a lot harder, in my opinion. I don't really remember the three questions, but I did the one that was "Compare the ways poets use language to contibute to the meanings of their poems: Compare Patrolling Barnegat to 3 others". I did Patrolling Barnegat, Sonnet, Storm on the Island and A Difficult Birth, by Gillian Clarke. All in all, I think the exam was very weird. I neither found it easy nor difficult to be honest. I don't think I've done as well as I could have done, so naturally I'm dreading results day already.

ReputationRep:
    Aww, thank you piece_by_piece, I hope I can just get an A, I would over the moon if I can.^__^. And judging from your fab talent in English, I have high hopes fo you getting the A*. =D I know you will get it!^__^
    Omg, is it just me or AQA seems to be using questions Edexcel set last year(or the year before)? There was a past question on Simon(baiscally about his significance and how Golding shows it) 0__0. XD lol, just kidding.XD

Wooaahh, yeah, the second question does sound weird! 0__0, I had a sneaky peek at other questions and there is one all based on hope and dreams..0__0. And one of the past questions on LotF was "how successful do you think the ending is"(what?).

Your poetry ones sounded really hard, comparnig 4?
    Anyways, I found the poetry ones quite funny because I tried to work out the possibilities of different poems coming up a week before the lit exam and asked my English teacher to go through two of them(The Barn by Seamus Heaney and At Grass by Philip Larkin, but she forgot the notes..xD).
    I was so sure that at least one of them would come up that I had a bet with my friend and on the day, they both came up! 0__0. I nearly laughed out loud.XD

For me, my biggest problems in the exam were that 1) I suddenly forgot how to spell some words like "suffocating" and "anarchy"..XD. I nearly spelt Ralph's name wrong too! XD 2) I don't know what to comment on the quotes and etc.
    And me too, I feel liek I could have done better.>__<, if only we had more time....
    Oh yeah..result day..ahhhh....I am going to be dead..X__X.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'm positive you can get an A. I'm sure you'll get at least what you're predicted, if not more than that. Haha, my talent in English isn't "fab", it's actually quite embarrassing that when it comes to the real exams I forget how to spell words, and subsequently I spend around 5 minutes pondering over how to spell a simple word like "guarantee". Like you really! Yeah, time was definitely a huge issue, and will remain to be a problem in the forseeable examinations. Everyone in my school complained about the time limit, or lack of time I should say really. Not to worry though, we've been told that the examiners do take into account the fact that we're under immense amounts of pressure.

ReputationRep:
    Wahh, thank you for reassuring me! >__<.
    Ah, so I am not the only one?XD Ouuu, perfect example there! I have never been able to spell guanrantee right ever since the beginning..XD (I used to spell it ga-ran-tea, yeaaahh..:p:).
    Pheew, glad to know the examiners are compassionate, because I have always stereotyped themt o be super English-hyped teachers who are very fussy about SPG.XD

Well, I have a total of 9 essays(3 for lit, and 2 for two english exams - I am dreading the writing the most - I have way too many grammar problems, especially under timed conditions, they are actually quite funny.XD).
    What about you? Do you have to write 6 too? o__O?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Nimbus)
    Wahh, thank you for reassuring me! >__<.
    Ah, so I am not the only one?XD Ouuu, perfect example there! I have never been able to spell guanrantee right ever since the beginning..XD (I used to spell it ga-ran-tea, yeaaahh..:p:).
    Pheew, glad to know the examiners are compassionate, because I have always stereotyped themt o be super English-hyped teachers who are very fussy about SPG.XD

Well, I have a total of 9 essays(3 for lit, and 2 for two english exams - I am dreading the writing the most - I have way too many grammar problems, especially under timed conditions, they are actually quite funny.XD).
    What about you? Do you have to write 6 too? o__O?
    Nah! I'm sure they're nice teachers Ahhh, that's loads! Ours was 2 for Literature, and 3 in total for the 2 English exams. There is another, but that's more like a comprehension, so it's not really an essay. I have to write 4 essay in 1.5 hours for my 2 RS exams, so that's 8 essays for RS! Bit of a bummer really, because I despise RS.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I felt quite confident after doing the Simon question, I wrote a plan of about ~7 points and stuck to it, elaborating.

I did the poem comparison first as well, which allowed me to time/plan my LOTF essay better (if I did it in order I would probably end up spending 55 minutes on LOTF).

ReputationRep:
    @piece_by_piece:
    yeah (it would be great if we can bribe them to give us the grades we want too lol..xD, just joking.XD).
    0__0,, now I really wan to do AQA..XD *has a huge exam phobia*..XD
    Wow, 8 for RS? Oh yeah, they have two exams don't they? At my school, we get the choice fo doing one of them early and I did and got one of them out of the way, so i guess I am lucky in that sense? o__O? But yeah, I know what you mean, urrgghhh, I hate RS too! X__X

@chongy5:
    Glad to know you are confident!^__^ I wish I could be too but I am not..XD
    Ouu, good plan! Yeah, same here, I use to spend hours on a LotF question..
    I hope you will get the mark you want too!^__^

I am still scared..XD >__<. Have I mentioned that during the exam, I felt I was on a rollercoaster ride for the entire 2 hrs and 15 mins?XD Although I am really scared of them, I think I would prefer to go on them than doing Eng exams..that's how I dread English lol..XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimbus)
    @chongy5:
    Glad to know you are confident!^__^ I wish I could be too but I am not..XD
    Ouu, good plan! Yeah, same here, I use to spend hours on a LotF question..
    I hope you will get the mark you want too!^__^
    Haha thanks! Yeah I realised that I might as well feel confident; if I just obsess about how bad I might have done I'll just waste my time (it's done, it's over, it's gonna be marked regardless - nothing can change that).

Yup hope you get the mark that you want to! (p.s. are you with WJEC?)

I'm actually more scared of the AQA English A Paper 1 and 2 then I am of the English Literature paper - there are more unknown elements with Paper 1 and 2 :mad:

There have been quite a few topics in the TSR forums on Paper 1/2, but can anyone point to a really good one where lots of good points have been mentioned? TIA.

ReputationRep:
    @chongy5:
    I admire your positive attitude! I need to get some from you!XD

Ah no, I am with Edexcel. they ask bizarre questions and we have to do some much for it.
    We had to do 6 written and 3 spoken coursework for them and 9 essays in the exams! T__T - I blame the English department at my school for being so enthusiastic.XD

Yeah, same here, at least we know what to face in the English lit exam. I've always hated the unprepared elements.>__<.

I am not sure about AQA but my English teacher(who used to do AQA with another school) said try out Andrew Moore's Website, apparantly it's really good, may be that might help? o__O?

Good luck with the rest of your exams guys...just a few more weeks and then we won't have to slave for GCSEs ever again! =D

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.