The Student Room Group

Choosing accountancy for a career? Read my short story :0)

My Accountancy Path
By Colleen Brady
Well where do I begin? To be honest my accountancy journey started as an accident but I would say the right path for me!

In 2005 after being out of retail for a while, I wanted to start my own business. I wanted to be able to do my own books without resources another for help so decided to go back to college and study City & Guilds, bookkeeping and accounts level 1. Going back to college to study is so different when you want something pacific. I passed the first class and was encouraged to do another. I went on to do level 2 and passed also. I found bookkeeping very practical and familiar to me as do like things in order so this came very natural to me. My tutor was also impressed with my drive and recommended me to go on to do AAT level 3 intermediate. I found something else I was equally passionate about and decided to try this out whilst on the side building my business portfolio.

As my knowledge was increasing though accountancy I thought I'd try and see what job I could possibly get at this stage. Thorough agencies I was instantly offered an interview as an sales administration and didn't hold back. Although looking back it was a low wage, it was no way near to what I was earning back then so I jumped to the chance!

I found myself along side like minded people with the same possible potential to myself so felt right at home. I continued to do my AAT course part time but unfortunately due to circumstances didn't get to complete it but did receive a certificate for what I had passed. I would still recommend AAT for anyone starting out who is starting later in the accountancy world as this would have opened so much more for me if I had finished at the time.

I was offered the job as a sales administrator which at the time is like winning something for the first time. Not having experience in this industry I was like an open book ready and willing for new challenges. I worked there for a year gaining experience before looking again for a new challenge.

I then was offered a job as a temp as an administrator for the purchase ledger side. I thought this would be good as getting to learn another part of the subsidiary ledgers. I was working with a team of 5 where I met my first financial controller mentor. She was such an inspiration for me and saw something in me that I couldn't see at the time. She pushed my to the limit from myself chairing meetings to becoming a team leader. I learnt more here, in team building, than in my first position as know the team is everything. Having a team/department work together is what any business wants and I loved to embrace this in any position I take on now and in the future.

Due to this only being a temporary position I still had to look for a more permanent role and after a few months saw a position as an Assistant Accountant for maternity cover come up from the agency. I remember showing my mentor and giggling whilst she said 'why not'! I remember my hart started pumping fast thinking if she believed I could, why shouldn't I? So with her help I filled in the application and got an interview. I remember asking lots of question on the role and doing diagramed with the accountant on what I would be doing! This engagement I believe got me offered the job! Wow, I believed I was now even more on the right path. I ended up being at this company for 8 years!

At this company I started by learning all the finance teams position where we could help and work together where needed. We ended up being a great team and I gained so much experience through many areas, from R&D's, project management, team building and much more.

Unfortunately to myself after 6 years 6 members of the team retired including directors. Great for them but little sad for who was left. After so long I considered them to be a family so this was hard for me in the beginning. We had to build a new team from scratch and for many coming and going this was hard work. After another two years I it was time to move on and started to look for a new challenge. I was later approached by an agency for a new position as a Senior Accounts Assistant.

With my knowledge and experience I thought this would be a great position to gain more new experience.

The beginning in this role was good but later felt from what I was use to, it wasn't for me. I have learnt from experience its hard to take over a role when the previous person is still there and cannot let go. Me and my great ideas unfortunately made them uncomfortable and I felt they took it a little personal, so I continued to look somewhere I would fit in more.

I started temping again and even started my own little business in helping small business with their bookkeeping. In a temping role I gave all I can in helping them reconcile all suppliers accounts and help implement a new system. This was a great opportunity for me but knew it wouldn't last too long in the temping world so still kept my options open in case anything else came along.

A new position came up as a Reconciliation Accountant near my home on a 12 month contact. I'm on my 3rd month and WOW, this position is very inspiring for me due to being part of a great team and new development coming into place where I will be involved. I have great feel for this place and although it's a 12 month contract, its defiantly a great place to learn from. I have been involved in board meetings for change and much more where it lets me to give my all and be the best I can be. I will keep my page updated on my progression and to what path unfolds before me so please follow. I’m am also thinking of doing a CIMA course to increase my chances even more and I’ll let you know how I get on.

Note: From 2005 I managed to climb the accountancy path to start earning double from where I started which is an amazing result for my career and would like this also to embrace others not to give up.

During my journey you may have noticed I didn't mention much of my personal life? Although I am a private person, with my work experience on board I am also a single mother! I have a son who is just starting his GCSE's and wanted him to have a good mentor himself and to believe he can do anything he chooses in life. I hope one day he will look back and be proud of his mum not giving up and being strong no matter what so that he can also do the same on his path.

I do hope my story inspires others in following their path and not to give up no matter what gets in their way. I didn't start with much but we all start from somewhere. If you have a story to share, please do...

BELIEVE IN YOUR SELF!

Until next time, don't give up...

Colleen :0)
What qualities and qualifications do you look for when hiring possible accountants?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending