Turn on thread page Beta

You notice your girlfriend putting on weight.. what do you do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoeGeddaBowDeet)
    Maybe, but sizing is fairly non-standard and this guy is probably not doing his gf's clothes shopping.
    he's probably not standing next to her checking the scales when she weighs either.
    if he's not sure about sizing or weight he shouldn't quote them like he is.

anyway, i was only pointing out that that's what they were talking about.

i'm suprised the thread hasn't been closed since he's getting no help with the original question and just a load of people telling him he's being insensitive etc. although frankly OP, I don't know what you expected when you started this as people usually miss the point entirely as soon as there's something vaguely insulting to someone.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the OP's girlfriend is short? Either way, it's not a massive increase and a size 10 is slim. If you're so fickle with your attraction/love then maybe you ought to have a think about how serious you are about her. No amount of weight gain or whatever would ever stop me loving them. It would take a heeeeell of a lot to put a dent in the attraction too. Seems impossible even.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    BMI isn't infallible as an indicator of how big someone is. I reckon I'm probably towards the upper half of the BMI scale thingy but I am naturally fairly curvy and definitely not fat.
    What are your breasts made of, muscle?

ReputationRep:
    My body is weird, my arms legs and face are are slim(well face slimish good bone structure)

My chest is where it all is more than my belly,

If I hit belly hard it doesnt wobble but a tiny ripple around the belly button, and I can pull my fat and wobble it up and down, but I have no creases. and I have thick almost muscular arms and very broad shoulers in freshers week the rugby team kept pestering me to join saying I had the perfect body for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddlers crossword)
    You don't deserve her
    I don't deserve men then. I have high physical and intellectual standards, and no one berates me for that. If I were a man though...

ReputationRep:
    BMI is pretty accurate except in special circumstances like people with large amounts of muscle mass. A very small percentage of people have enough muscle mass to skew the system, and practically none of those people are female. I think it's safe to say BMI is going to be accurate in your case.

well i sincerely hope you dont think that just because i'm overweight that i am fat?

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised that OP actually knows his girlfriend's dress size, tbh. The whole thing is really variably though. Like, I'm anything between an 8 and a 12 depending on the shop and the style of clothes. Also whether someone is fit depends on a lot more than size. I know some pretty small people whose bodies have quite a flabby sort of texture, and some bigger people who look fine. Weight is pretty dodgy as an indicator, too, since it can fluctuate a lot throughout the day, and also as muscle weighs more than fat.

It's hard to tell from the information given whether there really has been a significant change in this girl's appearance. But assuming that she genuinely does seem to be becoming unfit or wobbly or something... Saying anything to her directly would be bad. But things like making a habit of going on walks together and things, or both doing a sport, could be good. And 'sexercise' is surely a good thing also. I've got noticeably thinner since living a 10 minute cycle ride away from lectures, so it can't take all that much exercise to make a difference.

Edit: gah I type too slowly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    he's probably not standing next to her checking the scales when she weighs either.
    if he's not sure about sizing or weight he shouldn't quote them like he is.

anyway, i was only pointing out that that's what they were talking about.

i'm suprised the thread hasn't been closed since he's getting no help with the original question and just a load of people telling him he's being insensitive etc. although frankly OP, I don't know what you expected when you started this.
    You're right - I don't think any of us has enough information to determine just how slim(or not) she is. I was trying to challenge the assumption everyone here is making that size 10 is slim. After all, OP was the one who said she was slim in the first place - that's an extremely subjective description.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erradhadh)
    I don't deserve men then. I have high physical and intellectual standards, and no one berates me for that. If I were a man though...

i'm so glad i'm not like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    well i sincerely hope you dont think that just because i'm overweight that i am fat?
    Fat isn't a very scientific description. I wouldn't call anybody fat, it's an insult.

ReputationRep:
    Fat isn't a very scientific description. I wouldn't call anybody fat, it's an insult.

good!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how you got that I was differentiating between men and women (which you presumably do) from my post. If you were posting on here about being unhappy that your boyfriend had put on a small amount of weight, I'd be saying the same to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    i'm so glad i'm not like that
    I grew up with dance; serious ballet, etc.
    And then I figured out I was intelligent.
    So, hence, I want both in a person - aesthetic beauty and intelligence. If Adonis and Socrates were molded together, that's a perfect match.

ReputationRep:
    What are your breasts made of, muscle?
    Perhaps ... though the texture suggests otherwise ...

ReputationRep:
    Can I test them lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddlers crossword)
    I don't see how you got that I was differentiating between men and women (which you presumably do) from my post. If you were posting on here about being unhappy that your boyfriend had put on a small amount of weight, I'd be saying the same to you.
    No, not you particularly. I'm just noting the double standard that generally exists. Girls who are picky just 'know what they want', guys who are tend to be 'insensitive, materialistic *******s'.

It's really not the weight, it's more the attitude is what I'm getting at.

ReputationRep:
    No, not you particularly. I'm just noting the double standard that generally exists. Girls who are picky just 'know what they want', guys who are tend to be 'insensitive, materialistic *******s'.

To be honest, I'd have a similar attitude the other way around, though if you gave me a guy's stats then I'd find it rather harder to analyse them!

Basically, I find love handles and podge a turn off...
    Especially compared to how she was before.. (see pic)

Erradhadh is on the ball. She knows what she's talking about imo.

Would it be rude if I bought her a nice slim, skin hugging, size 8 dress and basically set her a goal of fitting into it without telling her I've set her a goal?
    - Gah Kant will be rolling over in his grave.. using humans as a means to an end lol

ReputationRep:

Fair enough, I dont think there should be a double standard, but I honestly think me and most people I know would criticise a girl with a similar attitude.

As regards OP: I just give up. I have absolutely no respect for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, I find love handles and podge a turn off...
    Especially compared to how she was before.. (see pic)

Erradhadh is on the ball. She knows what she's talking about imo.

Would it be rude if I bought her a nice slim, skin hugging, size 8 dress and basically set her a goal of fitting into it without telling her I've set her a goal?
    - Gah Kant will be rolling over in his grave.. using humans as a means to an end lol

i'd find it rude as, personally. almost as rude as when my ex told me i had cellulite during sex.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.