Turn on thread page Beta

You notice your girlfriend putting on weight.. what do you do? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if you have posted a photo OP but if you really know what measurement of a size 10 then I think you'd realise it's not that big. Sure, you were attracted to her when she was slim, petite almost...but tbh, size 10 isn't that big a deal.

How is she putting on weight? Is it because she's eating more/exercising less - if so just tell her, I think you're eating unhealthy or not exercising enough, blah blah. Just don;t go 'You're putting on weight, please lose it'. Unless there is some dramatic change to her lifestyle that is causing her to put on the weight, I'd go about very carefully. If she's just putting on the weight...well then it's probably natural.

OP, I'm hoping you're not at the point where her weight is the sole issue on your mind about her...if then...well, man up and get over it. Sorry to be harsh.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Nobody seems to be considering that a size 10 might be chubby for HER (regardless of how it is for you).

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion what you've said is very shallow. As has already been seen most girls would kill to be a size ten. I'd seriously be considering what is more important to you, having a gf who has put on some miniscule amount of weight..or telling her and not having a girlfriend at all??

ReputationRep:
    if you're really that bothered with her weight, then you really don't deserve her.

So what if she's put on a bit of weight?! Maybe she's happier how she is now?!!!!

Unless she directly says that she isn't happy with her weight gain, don't say anything.

ReputationRep:
    You ****ing build a bridge and get over it, mate.

This is absolutely disgusting - women are not sex objects.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopy_lou_lou)
    You ****ing build a bridge and get over it, mate.

This is absolutely disgusting - women are not sex objects.

x

seconded

ReputationRep:
    Take her on a romantic trip to the gym and limit her food intake ...

No, seriously; would depend if it bugged her. If it was worrying her I'd help her by making sure there's always healthy food around and maybe doing some sport together.

I think, if it got to a point where I thought she was letting herself go and not making an effort, that would bug me ... not sure what I'd do.

ReputationRep:
    She's probably put it on because she's very comfortable with you?

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP should do the kind thing and end things with his girlfriend. She might not be happy about it at first, as she's clearly become comfortable enough with him to relax a bit and put on some weight, but she'd be a lot better without him in the long run.

Amputate a limb. That'll take a few pounds off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by no hero in her sky)
    Nobody seems to be considering that a size 10 might be chubby for HER (regardless of how it is for you).
    I agree, size 10 could be chubby for her even though it probably isn't for a lot of people.

As many others have said, just do exercise together like go to the gym together and go on runs together. I don't think it is bad that you want her to stop putting on weight because I would want my boyfriend (if I had one) to tell me if he thought I was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondevalkyrie)
    She's probably put it on because she's very comfortable with you?
    Exactly, I know I have put on weight since being with my boyfriend. With my last boyfriend I lost weight because I felt so uncomfortable eating around him ... he wasn't a very nice person. But yeah, with my current bf it's getting a bit disgusting how comfortable I am with him, I neeeed to lose the weight.

But OP, have you tried talking to her about this? Although it does seem a bit unreasonable to be fair...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I really don't think a size ten could weigh ten stone without being excessively tall!
    I'm size 10 (sometimes size 8 or 12) and I weigh about ten stone.

I am 6ft though. Is that 'excessively tall'?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    But then you'd have to post one of yours.. oh dear, judging on what you've said anyway.

To be honest, I've just struck your jealousy chord.. without you even seeing my girlfriend.
    Well I know I would look really creepy if I lost any weight so you can rest assured you are most definitely not striking my jealousy chord. I hope your girlfriend finds this thread and you're in the doghouse for a suitable length of time.

(Original post by cpj1987)
    I think the OP should do the kind thing and end things with his girlfriend. She might not be happy about it at first, as she's clearly become comfortable enough with him to relax a bit and put on some weight, but she'd be a lot better without him in the long run.
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    if she used to go to the gym alot and doesn't so much anymore, suggest that you start going more together. when i was with my ex i was a size 8 and we used to go to the gym a couple of times every week TOGETHER and then finish off in the sauna together, and then go home, feeling sexy and steamy after a gym session and the heat of the sauna has other effects, which then helped keep the weight off too! lol
    when we broke up i stopped going to the gym so much and went up to a 10, which to me was more chubby (5'6) so even then still slim, but i noticed the difference, so chances are your girlfriend has noticed, and is probably just hoping that you haven't noticed the difference, or even better, don't mind.

don't you dare tell her that you find her less attractive, maybe say something like you've noticed that she isn't being as active now, and although you love her as she is now (u should do), you don't want her getting any bigger, cos you find her current size extremely sexy, and your proud of having a girlfriend that looks like that, and that maybe it would be good if she started being more active, and say you can do it togetgher. if you mix it up with lots of compliments then you should be ok....

size 10 is not fat, and if you think it is, have a look at some anerexic girls...do you think they are attractive? no. i'm sure you'd rather have a size 10 girlfriend (ok, size 8 may be better) rather than someone who doesn't eat and all their bones are poking out all over the place? size 10 now seems alot more attractive doesn't it!

ReputationRep:
    ... maybe she just went on the pill?
    Even so it makes you sound shallow and insecure.
    Get a grip, or get out of her life!

ReputationRep:
    christ, no wonder you see loads of 'is size so and so fat' or 'guys do you prefer size 12 or 0' etc etc on tsr. :s

ReputationRep:
    OP, why don't you put everyone out of their misery and tell us how tall your gf is?

ReputationRep:
    "Spank that ass, but watch yourself.
    Spank that ass, show me what your working with"

On a more serious note, what i would do is complain about your own wieght. Say you really hate the fact your putting on some. Tell her that you need to loose it and so u're going to go jogging and stuff. Really go at the hinting. Then tell her you can't cut it on your own. You need company, ask her if she can jog with you for "moral support"

maybe you should jon a yoga class together??

KM

ReputationRep:
    You do realise that if shes gone from an 8 to a 10 shes probably getting loads of compliments about her figure now?
    When I was a size 8 people thought i was 'skinny' and then when i put on a bit of weight i filled out and turned into a size 10 and along came the compliments from all my friends & then along came the boyfriend? Why? Not because I was 'skinny' but because I was finally confident with my size!

Your poor girlfriend might actually like being a size 10, might like her new figure and you're saying shes not a turn on any more? If you don't want to date a normal (Still thin - size 10 is!!!) then you should probably just end it rather than try and force her to lose weight.

Thats my opinion anyway, or else you could just realise that you're being a little silly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon because I don't want my bf to read this...

I think this is a tricky situation really, despite what everyone is saying about "omg 10st isn't fat!1!!!!", it depends on the person, if she's usually a petite very slim girl then it's not that slim. If I weighed 10 stone I would definitely be a tubster. On the other hand I don't think it's fair to demand your partner continually works out all the time to maintain your "perfect" physique. I think the issue here is whether she continues to gain weight as if it's unlike her it could be signalling she's unhappy/whatever.

My other half has recently (well over the course of the past few months) gained a fair bit of weight. Do I find it less physically attractive to look at? Yes. Does it make me love him any less? Of course not! Does it mean he doesn't turn me on? Absolutely not. There's much more to a person and their attractiveness than their weight.

Having said that, I wouldn't say anything to him about it because I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings, he's gorgeous in every way and I'd never want him to think otherwise. I would pipe up if I felt it was getting out of control/too difficult to lose weight back to a slim or slightly chubby level, but otherwise I don't think it's necessary to broach the subject as I don't feel it affects our relationship, if it was affecting our sex life e.g. I think words might have to be had. I also know that he's not happy with how he looks and so knows he needs to take action to change things. I don't think extra pressure from me is neccessary when I'm suppsed to be here to support him.

OP, i think this is the most 'important' post for you so far, if you really love her, like what you say you do then you'll still find her very attractive! to me it just seems like you don't see your girlfriend as anything more than a sex object. if shes happy then nothing in the whole world should matter other than that. it really isn't a big deal.

either live with it and start to worry when she's becoming obese or something or end the relationship and let her find a man who will love her for who she is.

Also it is slightly offensive to say that women bigger than a size 10 is overweight, unattractive or something! just because you have a problem with it doesn't mean that everybody else does. i know people will find different sizes attractive but please remember and state that its just your prsonal opinion and opinions aren't fact!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2008
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.