The Student Room Group

C3 Last Minute Questions Thread (Edexcel 1 day to go!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notnek
Your answer is the same as theirs but in a different form so it's fine. The quickest way to do this question is to use the change of base formula (which isn't directly on the spec). The problem with solomon papers is that they sometimes go off the spec. Only do them if you've done all the Edexcel UK papers and IAL papers.

Isn't change of base identity C2 and Edexcel said you can be tested on previous modules?
Reply 61
Hi, could someone please tell me the topics/areas/functions that you could use a graphical calculator for???

Our college told us to purchase them, but unfortunately due to health and personal reasons I missed quite a lot of lessons and I don't really know how to use it. I feel like it was a waste as the calculator was quite expensive and I can't make much use of it.

What are the functions that I could use compared to a standard scientific calculator?

Thanks!
Original post by U.H
Hi, could someone please tell me the topics/areas/functions that you could use a graphical calculator for???

Our college told us to purchase them, but unfortunately due to health and personal reasons I missed quite a lot of lessons and I don't really know how to use it. I feel like it was a waste as the calculator was quite expensive and I can't make much use of it.

What are the functions that I could use compared to a standard scientific calculator?

Thanks!

Not sure but you don't need a graphical calculator for anything in A levels Maths/FM. Any graphs questions will be testing your knowledge of that function, perhaps with some transformations. For something you haven't done before e.g. sketching 2x-4 / x+3; you consider both vertical and horizontal asymptotes, perhaps intercepts and what happens to y as x approaches infinity from both sides.

Good luck tomorrow, you got this.
Reply 63
Original post by HumzaAhmed
I understand the idea that it generates two solutions and one solution is usually the correct one.

but the decimal value of (7-root21)/2 is around 1.2

decimal value of (7+root21)2 is around 5.7

both values > -2 and the domain for g(x) is x > -2. This is why I am confused

Only one value satisfies g(x) = x that's why.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by thekidwhogames
Not sure but you don't need a graphical calculator for anything in A levels Maths/FM. Any graphs questions will be testing your knowledge of that function, perhaps with some transformations. For something you haven't done before e.g. sketching 2x-4 / x+3; you consider both vertical and horizontal asymptotes, perhaps intercepts and what happens to y as x approaches infinity from both sides.

Good luck tomorrow, you got this.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, I know you don't need a graphical calculator, but I was told that it would be useful for checking your answers to some questions.
Original post by U.H
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, I know you don't need a graphical calculator, but I was told that it would be useful for checking your answers to some questions.

I'm not too sure then, sorry.
last minute tips and how to avoid silly mistakkes
Original post by bluenotewitt
Is differentiation from first principle required? For example, could we be asked to prove that the derivative of the sine function is equal to the cosine function?

no
Original post by mathsnerd49
Idk if anyone is on to help but on the edexcel june 2017 paper question 3c says you only get the last mark if you've put 7+root21 over 2 not the negative version... why is that? from what i can tell 7-root21 over 2 is also within the conditions so how do you know to only put one of these?

omg this question was a *****
it's because you use g-1(x) or something and if I remember correctly the domain of g-1(x) is bigger than 3 so it discards the 1.2 solution xx
Reply 69
Original post by Ollie1999
omg this question was a *****
it's because you use g-1(x) or something and if I remember correctly the domain of g-1(x) is bigger than 3 so it discards the 1.2 solution xx

It's not really related to the domain. When you square an equation it can produce extra solutions. If you plug them both into the original equation then you'll see only 1 of them is actually a solution. Also drawing the graph would have shown that there's only 1 solution.
Original post by Notnek
It's not really related to the domain. When you square an equation it can produce extra solutions. If you plug them both into the original equation then you'll see only 1 of them is actually a solution. Also drawing the graph would have shown that there's only 1 solution.

dunno the way I did it was I multiplied both sides by g-1(x) so it was g-1(x) = x and then I got two values and so why wouldn't it be related to the domain of g-1(x)?? (this is an actual question cause i dont get it)
Reply 71
Original post by Ollie1999
dunno the way I did it was I multiplied both sides by g-1(x) so it was g-1(x) = x and then I got two values and so why wouldn't it be related to the domain of g-1(x)?? (this is an actual question cause i dont get it)

Ah yes that's another way to think about it. I'm guessing very few students did this in the exam though!
How was it boyzzzz
Original post by MclarenP1
How was it boyzzzz

Absolutely loved it!!
not a fun experience. about 18 marks i was very unsure of.
Original post by Notnek
For x2lnx3\frac{x^2\ln x}{3} first take out the 13\frac{1}{3} so you just have to differentiate x2lnxx^2\ln x. Now try to use the product rule for x2x^2 and lnx\ln x. Post your working if you get stuck.

Hello, I did exactly that and I got 2/3 lnx +1/3 x - 2
is that correct ?

Quick Reply

Latest