The Student Room Group

PGCE teaching early years & ks1 / ks1 & ks2

I have tonnes of experience working with the Early Years Foundation Stage and my degree is in the Early Years. I wanted to do my training with KS1 and KS2. Because I have experience with the EYFS does that mean I can teach all ages in a school? Or will I still be restricted to KS1 and KS2? I hope my question makes sense. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Bee1011
I have tonnes of experience working with the Early Years Foundation Stage and my degree is in the Early Years. I wanted to do my training with KS1 and KS2. Because I have experience with the EYFS does that mean I can teach all ages in a school? Or will I still be restricted to KS1 and KS2? I hope my question makes sense. Thanks.

I have spent the past four years as a teaching assistant in early years but was still able to gain a place on a 5-11 primary course. As long as you can show a passion and commitment for primary education I can’t see you having a problem getting a place on a course.

In all honesty I actually wanted to do lower primary but no school direct provider near me did that course.
Reply 2
Original post by misslh
I have spent the past four years as a teaching assistant in early years but was still able to gain a place on a 5-11 primary course. As long as you can show a passion and commitment for primary education I can’t see you having a problem getting a place on a course.

In all honesty I actually wanted to do lower primary but no school direct provider near me did that course.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear but seeing as you have gone through it you can tell me. What I mean is that I still would very much rather teach the Early Years but what I mean is if I take on the training for KS1 and KS2, due to my experience do you think I'll also be able to teach foundation without actually training for it at university? Or would they not consider me because I am trained in KS1 and KS2? The reason I wanted to do KS1 and KS2 is that I thought maybe I would have a wider job opportunity window.
Reply 3
Original post by Bee1011
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear but seeing as you have gone through it you can tell me. What I mean is that I still would very much rather teach the Early Years but what I mean is if I take on the training for KS1 and KS2, due to my experience do you think I'll also be able to teach foundation without actually training for it at university? Or would they not consider me because I am trained in KS1 and KS2? The reason I wanted to do KS1 and KS2 is that I thought maybe I would have a wider job opportunity window.

I don’t see why not Bee1011, even though you’ll be trained 5-11 I don’t see why you can’t teach reception. Both of the teachers I work with are not early years trained but both teach reception, while it is desirable I don’t think it is essential to be an early years trained teacher to actually teach it. Your previous experience would no doubt count as well.
Reply 4
I want to teach receptions to maybe yr 3/4 but I'm not sure what to do at college and uni

Wud I be better doing a lvl 3 early years educator BTEC or a-levels (sociology, law and something else) at college?

Also what course wud I take at uni?

Wud be grateful for any help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending