squishysquash
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I'm in Year 13 and I'm doing MEI OCR, and I need an A* in Further Maths - this means getting an average of 90 UMS in my 3 A2 Further Maths modules.

For Maths and FM, I'm currently taking: C3, C4, M2, S2, FP2 and Numerical Methods (which is AS so doesn't count towards A*)

I've studied barely any S3 because obviously I wasn't intending on taking it. But I had my M2 exam a few weeks ago and it didn't go well - I'd say I maybe got 80 UMS but obviously I can't tell - that's just an estimate. I can't see myself getting an average of 95 UMS in S2 and FP2. I could probably get an average of 90 if neither paper was horrible.

The S3 exam is in 16 days. Should I enter myself for S3 now and take a lot of the next 2 weeks to revise it? Has anyone done S3? How hard is it? Is there some other course of action would be better?

Any advice or information would be much appreciated
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by squishysquash)
So I'm in Year 13 and I'm doing MEI OCR, and I need an A* in Further Maths - this means getting an average of 90 UMS in my 3 A2 Further Maths modules.

For Maths and FM, I'm currently taking: C3, C4, M2, S2, FP2 and Numerical Methods (which is AS so doesn't count towards A*)

I've studied barely any S3 because obviously I wasn't intending on taking it. But I had my M2 exam a few weeks ago and it didn't go well - I'd say I maybe got 80 UMS but obviously I can't tell - that's just an estimate. I can't see myself getting an average of 95 UMS in S2 and FP2. I could probably get an average of 90 if neither paper was horrible.

The S3 exam is in 16 days. Should I enter myself for S3 now and take a lot of the next 2 weeks to revise it? Has anyone done S3? How hard is it? Is there some other course of action would be better?

Any advice or information would be much appreciated
It's highly unlikely that that your school would let you enter for S3 now: the regular entry deadline was 21st February, and the stage 1 late entry deadline was 22nd March, so at this point, you would have to pay the stage 2 late entry fee, meaning that in total you would end up paying three times the regular entry fee.

In any case, S3 is a rather niche module and there aren't that many resources for it.
squishysquash
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Prasiortle)
It's highly unlikely that that your school would let you enter for S3 now: the regular entry deadline was 21st February, and the stage 1 late entry deadline was 22nd March, so at this point, you would have to pay the stage 2 late entry fee, meaning that in total you would end up paying three times the regular entry fee.

In any case, S3 is a rather niche module and there aren't that many resources for it.
I don't think my school could really have a problem with it. Obviously I would be paying the entire fee, but from the perspective of the school I don't think they'd have anything to lose. I go to a Comprehensive School if that's relevant.
zombi3123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You got an A in further maths? I wanted to ****ing kill myself the first few mechanics lessons through the year
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by squishysquash)
I don't think my school could really have a problem with it. Obviously I would be paying the entire fee, but from the perspective of the school I don't think they'd have anything to lose. I go to a Comprehensive School if that's relevant.
OK if they'll do it then it's fine. But as I said before, while there is a textbook for MEI S3, there aren't a lot of other resources, as it is a fairly niche module.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (61)
22.26%
Excited but a bit nervous (125)
45.62%
Not bothered either way (35)
12.77%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed