The Student Room Group

Is it a bad idea to go on antidepressants right before exams?

So long story short I've been feeling low again and my A level exams are next week. I've been dealing with on and off depression for a year now and I do not want to deal with it during exam season. Before someone tells me to do some yoga or think positively the low mood comes on suddenly out of nowhere even when I'm having a good day. I know antidepressants take time and they can bring on side effects but at this point I'm willing to try them even if they make me feel better due to a placebo effect as I cannot afford to go back in a dark place during exam season. But before I decide to go back on them I need some advice about this. So do you guys think it is a bad choice to go on antidepressants before exams? Thanks.
As someone who has been on antidepressants before, all I can say is that if you feel that you require them to carry on with your life - then take them. Just be sure to start on a small dosage so you dont get many negative side effects.
Original post by Anonymous
So long story short I've been feeling low again and my A level exams are next week. I've been dealing with on and off depression for a year now and I do not want to deal with it during exam season. Before someone tells me to do some yoga or think positively the low mood comes on suddenly out of nowhere even when I'm having a good day. I know antidepressants take time and they can bring on side effects but at this point I'm willing to try them even if they make me feel better due to a placebo effect as I cannot afford to go back in a dark place during exam season. But before I decide to go back on them I need some advice about this. So do you guys think it is a bad choice to go on antidepressants before exams? Thanks.

If the depression is going to have a serious effect on your performance in exams, then certainly. So if you’re struggling to sleep at night or are feeling tired when working or the depression interrupts you while you work etc, then the risk of potential side effects is probably worth the benefit you’ll get from taking them. Though do check the possible side effects with your GP or look on the packet, and analyse whether the risk is worth the benefit.

If not, then I’d wait until after exams before taking medication; as said, the potential side effects could damage your performance.
Even if you did start then now they wouldn’t kick in for a few weeks and in some people aren’t fully effective for more than 12 months. Also the side effects can be really unpleasant
Reply 4
I did so and was entirely fine, but applied for mitigating circumstances just in case there was any effect!! Although they didn’t work in the end the side effects weren’t unbearable
I started AD's shortly before my second year uni exams and it completely messed them up. The side effects were horrendous - I couldn't sleep, felt sick all the time, dissociated constantly and had headaches every day. Revising was practically impossible so my exams suffered as a result. Of course this is only my personal experience so yours may be different but be aware AD's often make you feel worse before they start working properly.
Reply 6
You could experience fatigue, insomnia, nausea, 'swimmy' eyes and dizziness. I would say wait until after, if you think you could
Original post by Anonymous

Exams can be a stressful time! I would encourage you to speak with physician before beginning/resuming antidepressant medication. It can be helpful for some people and your physician/psychiatrist will likely be most helpful in sorting through if you would benefit from antidepressants. If you are not able to get an appointment prior to exams, I would encourage you to use different relaxation techniques and/or speak with the counselors at the school. I would be glad to connect you with some more articles and resources if you like. Praying that the next week goes well for you!
Reply 8
Thank you!! Yeah some articles on relaxation techniques would be helpful

Quick Reply

Latest