?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How many paragraphs for structure and language
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
there's no expected number of paragraphs for comparing poetry. you should be expected to talk about both aspects in a decent amount of detail.
moved to english forum.
danie.x
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did 1 paragraph on comparing poet’s ideas, 1 for structure, 1 for imagery and 1 for language and I got 27/30 🤷🏾*♀️ my teacher said I could have got more marks by linking structure, imagery and language in my paragraphs
Skkkk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
(Original post by danie.x)
I did 1 paragraph on comparing poet’s ideas, 1 for structure, 1 for imagery and 1 for language and I got 27/30 🤷🏾*♀️ my teacher said I could have got more marks by linking structure, imagery and language in my paragraphs
Can u mark my essay and give brief feedback
danie.x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
Can u mark my essay and give brief feedback
Yeah no problem
Skkkk
Rep:
?
Yeah no problem
If I’m looking at 6 detail paragraphs is that ok ? I can send it u Tommorow plus what grade are u in English I’m aiming for an 8 inshaalah
danie.x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
If I’m looking at 6 detail paragraphs is that ok ? I can send it u Tommorow plus what grade are u in English I’m aiming for an 8 inshaalah
I’m not sure the marks I get tend to vary and my school pushes the grade boundaries really high. Are you ready to send it?
Skkkk
Rep:
?
I’m not sure the marks I get tend to vary and my school pushes the grade boundaries really high. Are you ready to send it?
https://smhw-production.s3.amazonaws...on_WAGOLL.docx
danie.x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say that this is possibly a grade 8, but definitely a solid 7. To achieve a grade 9 I would say that you should include more alternative interpretations of the quotes you used and comment on the tone of the poems. Nonetheless, this was a very good essay!
Skkkk
Rep:
?
I would say that this is possibly a grade 8, but definitely a solid 7. To achieve a grade 9 I would say that you should include more alternative interpretations of the quotes you used and comment on the tone of the poems. Nonetheless, this was a very good essay!
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  298.5 KB
This is my essay on war photographer vs poppies and that paragraph is war photographer structure? Is that good so far or should I add anything else
Skkkk
Rep:
?
Please can U mark this is it ok?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...0&d=1527774093
danie.x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
Please can U mark this is it ok?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/att...0&d=1527774093
The essays are meant to be comparative for seen poetry meaning you should include detail of both poems in one paragraph. Also you were being perceptive with your ideas but alternative interpretations would have made it better.
Skkkk
Rep:
?
The essays are meant to be comparative for seen poetry meaning you should include detail of both poems in one paragraph. Also you were being perceptive with your ideas but alternative interpretations would have made it better.
Can u give me an example
We haven’t done comparing essays yet so Im quite confused if u don’t mind can u talk though how I’m meant to write up an essay and how to give alternative interpretation as your really helping me out ten times better
Intro
Structure in both poems in one
paragraph
Language in both poems in one paragraph
Context/tone? Conclusion?
Can u provide essay format exemplar responses and how do I write a perfect essay with alternative interpretation as I thought structure and language are separate?
Please help I’m so confused and ur amazing helping me
Skkkk
Rep:
?
Tbh I have no clue on how to compare
Skkkk
Rep:
?
Tbh we have Gone through annotating some classes have started comparative essay and when we go back we are going to finish poems and start Macbeth and I really wana do essay but don’t know how ur reallly helping me out
What is he format and what to include?
Skkkk
Rep:
?
Hello
danie.x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
Can u give me an example
We haven’t done comparing essays yet so Im quite confused if u don’t mind can u talk though how I’m meant to write up an essay and how to give alternative interpretation as your really helping me out ten times better
Intro
paragraph
Can u provide essay format exemplar responses and how do I write a perfect essay with alternative interpretation as I thought structure and language are separate?
The key is just stating the similarities and differences between the poems in your paragraphs and alternative interpretations refers to giving two or more ideas on one quotes (e.g. this suggest..... or it could show)
danie.x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skkkk)
Can u give me an example
Intro
paragraph
Structure and language are separate it if you want to make you essays to a higher standard you can include both in one paragraph by linking them together e.g the ABBAC rhyme scheme and “but nothing happens” in exposure link as they both reflect the monotony of war
Skkkk
Rep:
?
Structure and language are separate it if you want to make you essays to a higher standard you can include both in one paragraph by linking them together e.g the ABBAC rhyme scheme and “but nothing happens” in exposure link as they both reflect the monotony of war
I though u had to include structure and language and how do I compare the similarities and differences in what way?
Do u have any exemplar response or could u give an example response/paragraph
How does poet present effect of
Conflict in war photographer and poppies
So I get a jist of what u mean
danie.x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Here is the essay I got 27/30 for

Compare how poets present the effects of war in ‘Bayonet Charge’ and in one other poem from ‘Power and conflict’.

Both poems include unfavourable and sombre ideas about the effects of war, however these ideas are presented differently. Bayonet Charge includes a nameless soldier trying to stay alive during a charge towards enemy lines. The soldiers’ overriding emotion and motivation is fear shown by the descriptions of his thoughts and actions. On the other hand, Owen presents soldiers having inner conflict due to the effects of war- boredom and hopelessness in Exposure. This boredom is a result of nothing occurring and the hopelessness is due to nature being the real enemy which they cannot escape from. The tone of Bayonet Charge is horrific as the horror and physical pain of the charge is emphasised. Conversely, Exposure features a bleak tone as a result of the boredom and hopelessness.

Bayonet Charge features enjambment and uneven line lengths which creates disorder, linking to “Suddenly” as the poem starts mid-action. This causes the reader to be confused, therefore they relate to soldier as confusion is one of the effects of war presented by Hughes. In contrast, Owen uses eight stanzas, reflecting how extended World War 2 was, which links to the soldiers’ boredom. Each stanza is of the same length and there is a rhyme scheme of ABBAC, reinforcing the monotonous nature of the soldiers’ experience.

Both poems conveys the imagery of nature, however nature is portrayed differently in the poems. Hughes presents how nature is affected by war through “a yellow hare that rolled like a flame.” The imagery of “yellow hare” is painful as it reminds the reader of how the nature world is affected by war. This links to Hughes’ passion for animals and nature. However, “yellow hare” could refer to mustard gas which was first used in World War 1 or it could be a ball of fire, but in the daze the soldier sees it as a “yellow hare.” This shows another effect of war as the soldier has lost his sanity. Contrastingly, Owen shows nature as the enemy which causes the suffering of the soldiers: “merciless iced eat winds that knive us.” The emotive adjective “merciless” informs he reader that the weather is dangerous and is to be feared. Nature is personified by the verb “knive” and it seems to be attacking them. This links to “all their eyes are ice.” This metaphor is a vivid description of how they’ve been overpowered by nature. “Eyes are ice” has double meaning: some soldiers have died due to the extreme cold and the living soldiers are no longer able to feel emotions as the “ice” has stiffen them, preventing further reactions to the weather. This shows the effect of war as soldiers have died and some are now emotionless.

The language of Bayonet Charge reveals the dehumanisation of the soldier as an effect of war. The semantic field of “belly” and “smashed arm” from “rifle numb as a smashed arm” blurs the line between the weapon and the soldier by dehumanising the soldier and personifying the weapon. The simile “rifle numb as a smashed arm” shows that Hughes uses comparisons due to the indescribable horrors of war which links to the fact that Hughes wasn’t alive during WWI. The dehumanisation of the soldier is also seen in “his terror’s touchy dynamite.” The metaphor suggests that the soldier has become a weapon and shows that he is driven purely by his terror. This also summaries the danger that he can inflict harm onto others and potentially nature as the effects on nature were presented. Conversely, Owen presents external factors which are affecting the soldiers, alongside their suffering. One of these external factors is God: “love of God seems dying.” This statement is ambiguous as their love of God is dying or God’s love towards them is dying- God has lost faith in the soldiers. The verb “dying” could be a reference to Christ’s death on the cross which links to the soldiers sacrificing their lives for others, similar to Jesus. Another external factor is the people back home and the “doors are closed” to them. This links to the caesura nearby as caesura creates a division the line, representing how the soldiers are shut off from their homes. The soldiers’ concern that people back home were losing interest links to similar beliefs of soldiers during WW1 as they believed the people back home didn't appreciate their sacrifices. Owen is able to comment on this in the poem, unlike Hughes, as he was a soldier in WW1. “Doors are closed” could be symbolic of how they are trapped in this trench which has led to their inner conflict- an effect of war.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?