Car insurance help!

Watch
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello

I just bought a new car and it having issues with the insurance. I’m at uni and due to move back home in a month or so. Putting my uni address to the insurance is giving me quotes at 3k or above which is insane! Whereas my home address makes the quote very cheap for my age at around 1.6k or even less. I’m very tempted to use my home address instead of university but isn’t this not valid? I do travel back often though so the car isn’t always parked at my uni address. What should I do? How could I get it cheaper or should I just put it at my home address given the fact that I’m moving back soon?
Thank you
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by storm95)
Hello

I just bought a new car and it having issues with the insurance. I’m at uni and due to move back home in a month or so. Putting my uni address to the insurance is giving me quotes at 3k or above which is insane! Whereas my home address makes the quote very cheap for my age at around 1.6k or even less. I’m very tempted to use my home address instead of university but isn’t this not valid? I do travel back often though so the car isn’t always parked at my uni address. What should I do? How could I get it cheaper or should I just put it at my home address given the fact that I’m moving back soon?
Thank you
It's expensive at uni' because the risk of an accident or theft is statistically much higher.

Thing is, if your car gets nicked or smashed (for whatever reason) when you are at university during term time, questions will be asked and you may well find they turn down your claim. You will then find the other persons insurance will come after you directly for damages and legal fees. You will also get blacklisted which will make it hard for you to get any insurance at all.

Something like 50% of all road traffic accident fatalities involve the 17 to 24 age group and again, statistically, 50% of drivers in that age group will have an accident in the first 6 months of passing their test. It does not have to be your fault for that to happen - just unlucky.

I'd put your uni' address down, pay the higher premiums (monthly if you need to) and when you return home for good, cancel the insurance, get the refund on any balance (none if you pay monthly) and take out a new policy with your home address. You could even look at short term insurance to cover you for the month and take out a full policy afterwards.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello

Thank you
The general consensus is to put down the address where the car will spend the most time overnight in the next 12 months - presumably, this is your University address, as you're there for what.. 7 out of 12 months?
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you have to ask, then you already know what the correct answer is and know doing anything else is wrong and risky. You always cover yourself (and know you're properly covered) by telling the truth and taking the highest risk.
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
The general consensus is to put down the address where the car will spend the most time overnight in the next 12 months - presumably, this is your University address, as you're there for what.. 7 out of 12 months?
no i'm permanently moving back home
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
no i'm permanently moving back home
Then it's perfectly acceptable to put your home address. It's your lucky day!
andyhong
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name:  IMG_7164.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  357.9 KB
us teenagers are statistically more likely to have an accident, infact out of all my close friends every single one of the had to claim or had an accident most of the are minor scratches and bumps, which is why insurance is quite expensive. When i was 17 i had my dads "hand me down" 2013 bmw 320d it was a small two litre engine but it did have two turbos which made it quite nippy for a first can and alot of companies for that reason didnt want to provide a policy or was quoting £13k a year which was almost half the market value of the car at the time. But i did the following to reduce that to 1800 a year and for year 2 when i was 18 only 950 a year for a fully comprehensive policy.

1, reduce your miles i reduced my annual mileage from 8 to 6k which saved alot of money
2, opt in having a dash cam in the car
3, play around with your profession (part time job or what type of student you are) dont lie though paying around to see the price doesnt make something up as it can invalidate your policy
4, put you down as main driver and put a Female driver in, its all statistics and if you had a female driver on the policy it reduces likely hood of an accident *apparently* which it did, i put my neighbour down as it was the only option for me
5, use comparison sites of course but when you find the best quote on the comparison site, ring that company for the quote and lie and say another company offered me the same policy for 10% less and ask if they match it, if they do great! you saved 10% if not fine you wasted 5 minutes of your time but its well worth asking.
6. pay up front as monthly payments are essentially a loan provided to you from a insurance company.
7. set the time of start of policy 30 days for today( the day you look for a quote) for some reasons thats cheaper and its guaranteed to be cheaper if you set the time back.
8. last but not least consider having a black box, i had a black box and it reduced the premium from 1800 to 950 for the second year
hope that helped good luck and most importantly be safe!
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by andyhong)
When i was 17 i had my dads "hand me down" 2013 bmw 320d it was a small two litre engine but it did have two turbos which made it quite nippy for a first can and alot of companies for that reason didnt want to provide a policy or was quoting £13k a year which was almost half the market value of the car at the time.
oh yes, very small engine indeed! IWMTom’s fiat 509 probs has a bigger engine
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
It's a classic!
andyhong
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
i wouldn't be surprised i think 2 litre engines are the smallest the german brands make... its all 3 litre twin turbos now even in the family cars most of them are using 3 litre turbo charged units. i think form my experience being in car clubs and going to cars and coffee in the uk in general anything below a 4.4 litre is considered a small "engine" but was i was 17 at the time insuring on my family high performance cars was quite unlikely.... now all has changed! no need to be bullied by other people with bigger engines now
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i wouldn't be surprised i think 2 litre engines are the smallest the german brands make... its all 3 litre twin turbos now even in the family cars most of them are using 3 litre turbo charged units. i think form my experience being in car clubs and going to cars and coffee in the uk in general anything below a 4.4 litre is considered a small "engine" but was i was 17 at the time insuring on my family high performance cars was quite unlikely.... now all has changed! no need to be bullied by other people with bigger engines now
I'm driving a 1.6 Golf... is it fake?
Humat852
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello

Thank you
If it was me, I would put home address, you live there when you are not at uni so nothing wrong with that.
andyhong
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
I'm driving a 1.6 Golf... is it fake?
oh perhaps im wrong? i thought they are 2 litres though my best friend has a golf r and its a 2.0 and has over 300 bhp.... goes like a rocket!
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
oh perhaps im wrong? i thought they are 2 litres though my best friend has a golf r and its a 2.0 and has over 300 bhp.... goes like a rocket!
If we're talking about petrol as well as diesel.. there's 1.0l VAG engines..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (76)
14.05%
I'm not sure (23)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (172)
31.79%
I have already dropped out (11)
2.03%
I'm not a current university student (259)
47.87%

Watched Threads