International Relations MA Bath or York, thank you sooooo much Watch

shawnawu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I just got offers of International Relations from both Bath and York in England, I am sooooo grateful but I really now don't know which University to go.
I'm an International student from China, I visited Bath before and I fell in love with the place, and the original reason I apply for the course is that I want to go to Bath. But now I have two opportunities, which I never thought I'd have the pleasure. York is also a beautiful place, and I love it too, and my teacher told me the international relations ranking is higher for York. But in Bath I may have the chance to learn some interpreting skills too because I am really into interpreting and I got my advanced interpreting certification years ago. But for international relations I heard York has more job opportunities for this course during masters.
So now it's really down to the lifestyle and environment in both Universities, I really want to know which one is the one for me and I have already thought about it for daaays and I know no matter which one I choose, I will feel sooo pity for not going to the other one.
So please I need precious advice from the postgraduate students in these Universities, and thank you soooo much if you can tell me anything. I greatly appreciate it~!
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by shawnawu)
I just got offers of International Relations from both Bath and York in England, I am sooooo grateful but I really now don't know which University to go.
I'm an International student from China, I visited Bath before and I fell in love with the place, and the original reason I apply for the course is that I want to go to Bath. But now I have two opportunities, which I never thought I'd have the pleasure. York is also a beautiful place, and I love it too, and my teacher told me the international relations ranking is higher for York. But in Bath I may have the chance to learn some interpreting skills too because I am really into interpreting and I got my advanced interpreting certification years ago. But for international relations I heard York has more job opportunities for this course during masters.
So now it's really down to the lifestyle and environment in both Universities, I really want to know which one is the one for me and I have already thought about it for daaays and I know no matter which one I choose, I will feel sooo pity for not going to the other one.
So please I need precious advice from the postgraduate students in these Universities, and thank you soooo much if you can tell me anything. I greatly appreciate it~!
Where do you plan to work? If rankings matter in that country then I would think about going to the place with the better rankings. Otherwise they mean little and I would go where you will get more out of your experience i.e interpreting skills and experience.
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
OK, I am not an expert on interpreting. For pure IR, York is known for its strength in some key areas: health, policy analysis, governance, public policy, EU relations. York also attracts some EU funded grants: Prestigious Erasmus Mundus dual degree in Master of public policy with 3 partner unis. This is normally a good sign. I think York has a larger IR coverage and offers more electives.

Bath as a uni is better known for STEM, business and sports subjects. Not so much for politics and IR, it is fairly new and less established. Campuses at both unis are located outside the old town centre and mostly new uni buildings.
shawnawu
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Where do you plan to work? If rankings matter in that country then I would think about going to the place with the better rankings. Otherwise they mean little and I would go where you will get more out of your experience i.e interpreting skills and experience.
Thank you so much, yes I thought about learning more Interpreting skills but one thing is that I'm not sure during masters if I have the time or permission to observe other classes. And for the future I don't know where I'm going to work and I think I will decide when i take the course. Thank you soooo much~
shawnawu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tcannon)
OK, I am not an expert on interpreting. For pure IR, York is known for its strength in some key areas: health, policy analysis, governance, public policy, EU relations. York also attracts some EU funded grants: Prestigious Erasmus Mundus dual degree in Master of public policy with 3 partner unis. This is normally a good sign. I think York has a larger IR coverage and offers more electives.

Bath as a uni is better known for STEM, business and sports subjects. Not so much for politics and IR, it is fairly new and less established. Campuses at both unis are located outside the old town centre and mostly new uni buildings.
Appreciate it a lot for your professional suggestions and they really helped a lot! Thank you! I was thinking and searching about the resources and opportunities for both Universities for this course but I didn't find much useful information, but you gave me all the advice that I need and I surely strongly consider the factors. So for politics-related courses, York relatively has more resources for the master, but for subjects like business, Bath might be the option? Thank you so much for resolving the problem that I've always been thinking about~!
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'd chose York if I were you. From my knowledge its better regarded and the course is better.
Bath isn't especially well known for politics either.
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by shawnawu)
Thank you so much, yes I thought about learning more Interpreting skills but one thing is that I'm not sure during masters if I have the time or permission to observe other classes. And for the future I don't know where I'm going to work and I think I will decide when i take the course. Thank you soooo much~
You need to first work out why you are doing the course and what you hope to gain from it. You also need to work out what you can do while you’re there e.g the interpretation. If you can’t do that there’s no point in using it as a deciding factor. Work out which course suits your academic interests better and go from there.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
shawnawu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
I'd chose York if I were you. From my knowledge its better regarded and the course is better.
Bath isn't especially well known for politics either.
Thank you for telling me this, yes I think quality of the specific course is the biggest consideration for studying in a uni, so that would be the most important factor. Thank you sooo much!!
shawnawu
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
You need to first work out why you are doing the course and what you hope to gain from it. You also need to work out what you can do while you’re there e.g the interpretation. If you can’t do that there’s no point in using it as a deciding factor. Work out which course suits your academic interests better and go from there.
Yes you are right, the quality of the course that I am going to study should be the most important factor to consider, and for politics I think I should concentrate on this specific area. So now that I know which Uni has the better course quality in Politics, it will be easier to decide. Thank you so much for the reminding~! That just solved my irresolution.
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
For IR, there are other criteria outside the class room to consider for personal/professional development: Is course only theoretical with essays and exam evaluation? Some have group projects with presentation or real life assignment such as 'drafting a grant proposal for funding' from government. Some IR courses offer a guest speaker series: Profs from other unis or professionals, civil servants, journalists, NGO people. Trek to IOs in Genenva, Hague or Brussels. Some departments organise specific conferences on a theme, normally a research area the dep. excels. Does career center helps with relevant internship search? These are the Qs you should ask yourself!

York is more affordable and tends to develop interesting and strong courses in politics and social sciences. I don't know if living cost is an issue, but Bath is in an expensive region and has higher rent, going out expenses. Politics is not a key subject at Bath, emphasis and resources on STEM and business courses. You want the best fit and value for all the overseas tuition you pay.
shawnawu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tcannon)
For IR, there are other criteria outside the class room to consider for personal/professional development: Is course only theoretical with essays and exam evaluation? Some have group projects with presentation or real life assignment such as 'drafting a grant proposal for funding' from government. Some IR courses offer a guest speaker series: Profs from other unis or professionals, civil servants, journalists, NGO people. Trek to IOs in Genenva, Hague or Brussels. Some departments organise specific conferences on a theme, normally a research area the dep. excels. Does career center helps with relevant internship search? These are the Qs you should ask yourself!

York is more affordable and tends to develop interesting and strong courses in politics and social sciences. I don't know if living cost is an issue, but Bath is in an expensive region and has higher rent, going out expenses. Politics is not a key subject at Bath, emphasis and resources on STEM and business courses. You want the best fit and value for all the overseas tuition you pay.
Yes, that's absolutely what I've beening considering, I wonder which school could offer relatively more chances for internship or work experience, so I checked with the career center earlier and figured out there are some differences between the course in these two unis so I will take that into concern now. And alumnus who used to study there can show some key factors for the course too, I think~
And yes Bath is more expensive and that would be another to be weighed. And for the best value I think I should choose the one that do me good on my future career. Thank you so much, I think now I'm much clear of my need now and no longer confused about which one to choose. Finally can make a decision, thank you!!
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
That'll be "alumni."
shawnawu
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
That'll be "alumni."
Haha thank you for that too~
I just got an offer from University of Leeds today and now I am again starting to have a hard choice, my teacher told me the overall ranking is higher for Leeds but I think for politics York has more resources?
sakthi 26021996
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
  1. Yesterday, I applied for ATAS Certificate in which I entered mechanical instead of Advanced Mechanical Engineering . Is this a problem and what i have to do.
shawnawu
Rep:
?
(Original post by sakthi 26021996)
  1. Yesterday, I applied for ATAS Certificate in which I entered mechanical instead of Advanced Mechanical Engineering . Is this a problem and what i have to do.
Hi, sorry that I'm not familiar with the course but did you contact the department in charge to see is there any mistakes or anything you can do now?
Bluestar511
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Bath is ranked higher as a uni, so that is something you may consider
username2789280
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Bluestar511)
Bath is ranked higher as a uni, so that is something you may consider
You say, ignoring absolutely every other prior post in this thread.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.11%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.4%