Why did she sell seashells by the seashore? Watch

studentzz123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I know it’s a dumb question but we find seashells lying in the beach for free anyways so why would this girl sell them by the shore where people could just get them from the floor??
Lifeisded
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by studentzz123)
I know it’s a dumb question but we find seashells lying in the beach for free anyways so why would this girl sell them by the shore where people could just get them from the floor??
Maybe ppl can’t be asked to dig for them or she has a variety of different ones ?? Idk
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Because she doesn't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I learned about this when I was home schooling my grandson. They say it originates from the story of a girl called Mary Anning. She was left to look after her family when her parents died and they lived by the coast. She collected fossils and was reputed to have found a large dinosaur fossil. When she became famous for her dinosaur find, she sold her collection of fossils which turned the fortunes for herself and her family. I believe there were lyrics put to the song sometime early in the 20th century.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Because the woman for whom the line was coined actually sold fossils.

She found them on the beaches and then sold them to tourists as souvenirs.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
To raise the money to buy a peck of pickled peppers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (46)
9.22%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.81%
No, but I want to start (177)
35.47%
No, I am unable to (117)
23.45%
No, I chose not to (145)
29.06%