ProbablyJade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi!
I understand that dihybrid inheritance is where two genes located on different chromosomes are inherited together, but i wondered if anybody knew how they were inherited together? I just can't visualise how two separate genes are inherited together if they are on different chromosomes?
Thanks,
Jade
Keira Larkin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ProbablyJade)
Hi!
I understand that dihybrid inheritance is where two genes located on different chromosomes are inherited together, but i wondered if anybody knew how they were inherited together? I just can't visualise how two separate genes are inherited together if they are on different chromosomes?
Thanks,
Jade
Each chromosome from 1 to 23, exists as a pair (one inherited from the mother and one from the father). So for instance the mother's copy of chromosome 1 will carry one allele for a certain gene and the father's copy will also carry one allele.

During metaphase 1 of meiosis, the mother and father copies of all the chromosomes will pair up (to form a homologous pair) and then randomly arrange themselves along the equator of the cell. During the anaphase 1, each chromosome in a homologous pair will be pulled apart from each other. The two cells that are then formed will each have one copy of each chromosome from 1 to 23 so each cell will have 1 allele from every gene. The allele may come from either the mother or the father.

If genes on separate chromosome were not inherited together then the resulting gametes would have an incomplete set of chromosomes!
ProbablyJade
Rep:
?
(Original post by Keira Larkin)
Each chromosome from 1 to 23, exists as a pair (one inherited from the mother and one from the father). So for instance the mother's copy of chromosome 1 will carry one allele for a certain gene and the father's copy will also carry one allele.

During metaphase 1 of meiosis, the mother and father copies of all the chromosomes will pair up (to form a homologous pair) and then randomly arrange themselves along the equator of the cell. During the anaphase 1, each chromosome in a homologous pair will be pulled apart from each other. The two cells that are then formed will each have one copy of each chromosome from 1 to 23 so each cell will have 1 allele from every gene. The allele may come from either the mother or the father.

If genes on separate chromosome were not inherited together then the resulting gametes would have an incomplete set of chromosomes!
Okay... i think i understand what you are saying....
So essentially, because of meiosis producing cells with 1 allele of any gene, all the alleles in that cell have to be inherited together, and therefore for any two alleles in that cells dihybrid inheritance occurs?
Keira Larkin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ProbablyJade)
Okay... i think i understand what you are saying....
So essentially, because of meiosis producing cells with 1 allele of any gene, all the alleles in that cell have to be inherited together, and therefore for any two alleles in that cells dihybrid inheritance occurs?
Correct. But the sentence 'all the alleles in that cell have to be inherited together' is slightly incorrect because in anaphase 1 of meiosis, the resulting two daughter cells each have half the alleles of the parent cell.
ProbablyJade
Rep:
?
(Original post by Keira Larkin)
Correct. But the sentence 'all the alleles in that cell have to be inherited together' is slightly incorrect because in anaphase 1 of meiosis, the resulting two daughter cells each have half the alleles of the parent cell.
Oh okay! No, that makes sense! So all the alleles in the daughter haploid cell have to be inherited together
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
16.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.46%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.53%

Watched Threads