The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Question about crime and safety in Bristol

Hello. This is a question to anyone currently living and studying in Bristol, be it at UWE or Bristol University. I wanted to ask, how would you rate your overall feelings of safety in Bristol while studying there?

The reason why I am asking this is because safety in the city is a major deciding factor for me when it comes to universities. I do not want to feel scared walking the streets alone. That being said, I know that there is crime everywhere and you can never truly protect yourself from everything. It also isn't a good thing to be scared to come out of the house. But I just want to know your overall feelings of safety in Bristol so I can get some idea of what the city is like. Obviously I am going to visit the city to get a taste of it, but I want to know what students there think of it.

Thanks
Original post by kamilajaworska
Hello. This is a question to anyone currently living and studying in Bristol, be it at UWE or Bristol University. I wanted to ask, how would you rate your overall feelings of safety in Bristol while studying there?

The reason why I am asking this is because safety in the city is a major deciding factor for me when it comes to universities. I do not want to feel scared walking the streets alone. That being said, I know that there is crime everywhere and you can never truly protect yourself from everything. It also isn't a good thing to be scared to come out of the house. But I just want to know your overall feelings of safety in Bristol so I can get some idea of what the city is like. Obviously I am going to visit the city to get a taste of it, but I want to know what students there think of it.

Thanks

It looks like you've asked the same about Cardiff. Both are uni towns so I'd say pretty safe. You will find good bits and bad bits in most places so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by alleycat393
It looks like you've asked the same about Cardiff. Both are uni towns so I'd say pretty safe. You will find good bits and bad bits in most places so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Okay, thank you.
There are some areas of Bristol where I felt a little unsafe when alone, but nothing has ever happened and most places I feel pretty safe!
Original post by jenbrown1234
There are some areas of Bristol where I felt a little unsafe when alone, but nothing has ever happened and most places I feel pretty safe!

Thats great to hear, thank you :smile:
I went to UWE from 2011-2014 and always felt safe, especially in the middle of town. Even places like Stokes Croft, which may look a bit ~dodgy~ are actually okay. Everywhere just stinks of weed.
Every city has a dodgy aspect but is relatively safe if you're not an idiot. A lot of things you can do to not put yourself in bad situations - don't get in unlicensed taxis, don't walk alone at late at night etc.
Reply 7
I've lived in Bristol all my life, it has some dodgy parts to avoid (mainly after dark). But on the whole its relatively safe.

We live in what i used to class as a "bad area", but it's much friendlier than the posher parts I've lived in with a better sense of community.
People say areas like St Pauls and Easton are best to avoid after dark, as they tend to have higher crime rates compared to the rest of the city. But TBH no area of Bristol is that bad or dangerous, and for the most part its fine.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending