lucyyfranklinn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently studying AQA English Lit at A-level, and for the coursework we have to create our own exam question and answer it by comparing 2 texts of our choice, and one of them has to be written pre-1900. Our school has chosen Bram Stoker's Dracula for us. Since this is written pre-1900, we can choose literally any other text (preferably a novel- we are technically allowed to do poetry, short stories and plays but our teachers advised us not to). So does anyone have suggestions for books to compare to Dracula? Bearing in mind we have to devote equal time to each book in the essay- it can't just be about Dracula with the occasional mention of the second book. This means there has to be a lot of similarities/differences to talk about for the theme we choose.

TL;DR- studying Dracula, need a book to compare to it- can be literally anything, even Twilight. Just not poetry, plays or short stories.

Themes/things to consider- Dracula's a fin-de-siecle (end of century) 19th century novel, so a 20th century fin-de-siecle novel could be interesting. Themes could be representations of men, women, sexuality, race and ethnicity, religion and science, minds under stress, credibility in writing, etc etc etc.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.37%
It's just nice to be back! (182)
27.49%
Not great so far... (238)
35.95%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.18%

Watched Threads