The Student Room Group

Lets END chivalry!!!!!

I am so sick and tired of seeing threads that are filled with backwards and embarrassing stories.

Lets call an end to:
1) Men proposing to women
2) Men paying for dates (why do women STILL allow this???)
3) Men going out to work while his newborn baby is at home with his wife
4) Men organising dates (really? lol) "let me take you out"
5) EXPECTING MEN TO DO EVERYTHING
6) Expecting a man to BABY you
7) Expecting a man to pay for your life

A message to men: Please stop acting like a "Gentlemen" its seriously embarrassing. If you do the above you don't think the woman is equal to you at all and don't tell me its a kind gesture when its not.
(edited 5 years ago)
Maybe they aren't doing these things since they are "guys". If girls did the same, would you complain? Sometimes, a guy looking after his girl is just a way of showing his love to her.
Most of the time it’s being nice though, no one ever said women can’t be chivalrous too
What’s wrong with organising a date ?
Original post by Anonymous
Maybe they aren't doing these things since they are "guys". If girls did the same, would you complain? Sometimes, a guy looking after his girl is just a way of showing his love to her.

I am so tired of hearing this.

So why doesn't the girl ever do any of this???? You keep saying she needs looking after but what about the guy?
Original post by SuperHuman98
What’s wrong with organising a date ?

Its the "Let me take you out" which needs to end.
Original post by NathLocke64
Most of the time it’s being nice though, no one ever said women can’t be chivalrous too

No its not being nice. Its because society has brainwashed men into thinking they NEED to do this.

Surely being nice is paying for your OWN meal and enjoying the time you spend together.
Original post by Cold grapes
I am so tired of hearing this.

So why doesn't the girl ever do any of this???? You keep saying she needs looking after but what about the guy?

In my relationship, I (a female) and my boyfriend make everything equal. We're both new into the RAF and when we have kids I will be taking the majority of the maternity leave, only because I think that I deserve it after 9 months of hell and pushing a baby out of my vagina. But I want him to have lots of time with the baby too as I don't think it's fair for me to be with it all the time. Plus I would go ****ing crazy being stuck inside 24/7 with a screaming baby.
I think both sexes need to be looked after equally, unfortunately chivalry is part of our history and it's not as easy as just simply "ending" it. Seems to me as though you've had a bad experience to make you behave like this. Sometimes my boyfriend will pay for a date and be romantic, but sometimes I do the same. If you feel this way then find a girl (assuming you're a male seeking a female) who is prepared to treat you the same way. But don't try and control other people's relationships, some men like being chivalrous and some women like it when men are chivalrous. Just focus on your own life instead of focusing on others'.
Original post by Cold grapes
No its not being nice. Its because society has brainwashed men into thinking they NEED to do this.

Surely being nice is paying for your OWN meal and enjoying the time you spend together.

It's not brainwashing mate, it's just history in action. it takes society a very long time to change history for the present day.
Reply 9
I do those things because I want to do them, not because I'm expected to do them.

Life is about personal choice.
If both sides are happy with the tradition of chivalry, whats the issue? If you, or anyone who doesn't agree with chivalry isn't happy with it, then say so to your respective partners. Some women are happy with being the traditional 'housewife' because that is how they have been raised and what they prefer to do, you shouldn't criticise a person for following this. Obviously if both sides aren't happy with this 'chivalrous' relationship then fair enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending