The Student Room Group

Possible to do these a levels after doing double science?

In September I plan to do Chemistry, Biology and Psychology, however I currently do double science and got a 6 in the mock (B). I’ve never really focussed on chemistry that much, but considering I want to work in a hospital I concluded that chem and bio is a good combo. The only thing stopping me is that I’ve done double science, and the fact that the people around me (both double and triple science) are constantly saying how much they hate and can’t do gcse chemistry. And I’m staying at sixth form with these people and majority think I won’t be able to do it. My question is, considering I have the motivation (most of the time) and try my hardest, will I be able to do chemistry and hopefully get an A even though my teachers aren’t great and I won’t have motivating peers around me??
There is no reason you can't do Chemistry (and do well in it) with "only" double science. If you are able and willing to put the necessary amount of time in, there's no reason to believe you won't be able to do well...
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
There is no reason you can't do Chemistry (and do well in it) with "only" double science. If you are able and willing to put the necessary amount of time in, there's no reason to believe you won't be able to do well...

But if the people doing triple science can’t even do it how am I going to do it and get an A ??
Original post by Beth286
But if the people doing triple science can’t even do it how am I going to do it and get an A ??

People seem to primarily struggle with the subject because a) they expect just trying to memorise the information will work like with biology (it doesn't, you need to understand the mechanisms), and b) they are only taking it to fulfill some course prerequisite (typically because they have some obsession with pursuing medicine) and actually have no interest or enjoyment of the subject and avoid doing any further work on it when they can...

Perhaps I should have specified more clearly, provided you approach learning the subject in an intelligent manner, there isn't any reason to suppose you'll do badly in it. I'm not saying it's an easy subject, but I think it's disingenuous for other people to suggest it's necessarily more difficult than any other subject...

Quick Reply

Latest