The Student Room Group

MSc Accounting vs ACCA for US

Hi there,

I am a Finance Analyst/Management Accountant and am looking at the best ways to get the required qualifications for working in this field in the US. My partner is American so I believe at some point in the future we will live there. As a background: I have professional experience in this area of 6 years, I have passed only 4 modules of the ACCA and have an undergraduate degree in a non accounting subject.

I have also been accepted for a MSc in Accounting & Management with both Queen Mary University and Birkbeck. However, I have looked at job requirements in the US for these type roles and they seem only to ask for a BSc in Accounting. Which out of the following options would then make the most sense? (bearing in mind I would like to work either full time or part time)

* Masters - Queen Mary or Birkbeck. I can then look at doing the CIMA gateway exam if I want to get qualified
* Finish ACCA qualification/up to F9 and receive the BSc from Oxford Brookes

I understand that both the CIMA and ACCA are known in the US and since I won't be working in public accounting I wouldn't require the CPA. The CPA would require 150 credit hours anyway which wouldn't be covered by the 1 year Masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending