The Student Room Group

help, no experience?

Hi, so I've decided I would like the option of being a personal shopper when I'm older. I'm sixteen and currently have little to no work experience and a personal shopper job has become available at Selfridges, would it be weird for me to apply?
With all due respect, why would you want to do that, it's not a very long lasting job especially with innovation (ie lots of companies offer computer generated images to show how clothes look on, what matches and only elite customers shop there) it isn't very long lasting?

Personally, you will be very bored, every time I've been to Selfridges the personal shopping has been empty.

But, Selfridges select the cream of the crop (not just plucked out of the sky, coming from a good place :smile: )but they make it clear they want educated individuals so you need good grades/aspirations and often want people who are going to leave eventually to do something else within the company

High end retail is kind of common for first jobs, but you will need stellar grades and present yourself well to go against people who have been Personal Shoppers at Gucci, Saint Laurent or even Dune boutiques.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ohdearstudying
With all due respect, why would you want to do that, it's not a very long lasting job especially with innovation (ie lots of companies offer computer generated images to show how clothes look on, what matches and only elite customers shop there) it isn't very long lasting?

Personally, you will be very bored, every time I've been to Selfridges the personal shopping has been empty.

But, Selfridges select the cream of the crop (genuinely have met the store directors and they are so nice) but they make it clear they want educated individuals.

High-end retail is kind of common for first jobs, but you will need stellar grades and present yourself well to go against people who have been Personal Shoppers at Gucci, Saint Laurent or even Dune boutiques.

I go, Private School, if that helps and my family are avid shoppers at Selfridges.
Original post by irontiger
I go, Private School, if that helps and my family are avid shoppers at Selfridges.

It means nothing and quite frankly using that as a reason comes across a bit snobby. Selfridges are known for offering service to everyone, they know that some people save up for 20 years to get a Rolex and others go there and buy a Rolex to pass time: they pride themselves on offering amazing customer service to everyone.

Where you come from means nothing, they most likely wouldn't hire you because it doesn't fit with their company image (too young, immature, will bring friends=playground).

At the end of the day you haven't really said anything that would employ you at Tesco (no overriding aspiration, not making it clear you're academically driven, what you're good at) instead, you're insinuating your parents have wealth and you go to private school; let alone Selfridges. You need humility and can't be working at a store where you will have rude customers that snatch, grab and command and you want their money. Doesn't matter whether you rock up with the latest CELINE, Gucci loafers or Hermes belt-you still work there (in the eyes of some customers you are below them)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ohdearstudying
It means nothing and quite frankly using that as a reason comes across a bit snobby. Selfridges are known for offering service to everyone, they know that some people save up for 20 years to get a Rolex and others go there and buy a Rolex to pass time: they pride themselves on offering amazing customer service to everyone.

Where you come from means nothing, they most likely wouldn't hire you because it doesn't fit with their company image (too young, immature, will bring friends=playground).

At the end of the day you haven't really said anything that would employ you at Tesco (no overriding aspiration, not making it clear you're academically driven, what you're good at) instead, you're insinuating your parents have wealth and you go to private school; let alone Selfridges. You need humility and can't be working at a store where you will have rude customers that snatch, grab and command and you want their money. Doesn't matter whether you rock up with the latest CELINE, Gucci loafers or Hermes belt-you still work their (in the eyes of some customers you are below them)

Thank you for your honesty and I now realize the only way of being eligible to get a job is with honesty and being yourself.
Reply 5
Hi, so I've decided I would like the option of being a personal shopper when I'm older. I'm sixteen and currently have little to no work experience and a personal shopper job has become available at Selfridges, would it be weird for me to apply?

You can't leave education until you are 18 - although you can do an apprenticeship. Is this an apprenticeship or if it's part-time are you sure they will employ a sixteen year old?
I'm getting the vibe from your posts that English is your second language. Being bilingual will certainly help if you want to work somewhere like Selfridges, but have a look at the person specification and job advert - it's likely they're asking for experience.
Reply 7
Original post by Langerhan
I'm getting the vibe from your posts that English is your second language. Being bilingual will certainly help if you want to work somewhere like Selfridges, but have a look at the person specification and job advert - it's likely they're asking for experience.

Funny you say that because English is my first language and I’m failing my MFL Gcses 😹😹😹

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending