Asazycat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What languages do you want to learn in a lifetime?
mbovett
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pretty much anything and everything that interests me, really.

I'd like to work as a translator or interpreter, so I plan on learning some of the more major languages, such as Arabic, Russian, Spanish, and/or Mandarin.

I have quite a deep interest in Scandinavian history, folklore, and culture, so I've already started learning Danish and Swedish and would like to expand to the rest of the Nordic languages in the future too. If I ever learn a dead language, it will likely be Old Norse or Old English because of this.

I'm doing a summer school at the end of June in which I'll get to do beginner classes in Italian, so I'll probably build on what I learn there and hopefully get at least to and maintain an intermediate level.

One of my friends studies Russian and another is part Russian, so going back to my first point about major world languages, I'll definitely end up learning Russian somewhere along the line.

Finally, I'd like to pick up some more obscure/endangered languages too, partially for the sake of language preservation and helping stop some remote languages and dialects from going extinct and partially because it's pretty cool to tell someone that you speak a language they've never even heard of.

Basically, I'm open to learning any language, these are just some vague preferences
Asazycat
Rep:
?
(Original post by mbovett)
Pretty much anything and everything that interests me, really.

I'd like to work as a translator or interpreter, so I plan on learning some of the more major languages, such as Arabic, Russian, Spanish, and/or Mandarin.

I have quite a deep interest in Scandinavian history, folklore, and culture, so I've already started learning Danish and Swedish and would like to expand to the rest of the Nordic languages in the future too. If I ever learn a dead language, it will likely be Old Norse or Old English because of this.

I'm doing a summer school at the end of June in which I'll get to do beginner classes in Italian, so I'll probably build on what I learn there and hopefully get at least to and maintain an intermediate level.

One of my friends studies Russian and another is part Russian, so going back to my first point about major world languages, I'll definitely end up learning Russian somewhere along the line.

Finally, I'd like to pick up some more obscure/endangered languages too, partially for the sake of language preservation and helping stop some remote languages and dialects from going extinct and partially because it's pretty cool to tell someone that you speak a language they've never even heard of.

Basically, I'm open to learning any language, these are just some vague preferences
That sounds great. I would like to learn 10 languages before I am 30 years old, so that gives me 11 years. Currently, I know English, Urdu and learning Japanese, I am going to take a Japanese language test called the JLPT in July. Good luck with everything.
mbovett
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Asazycat)
That sounds great. I would like to learn 10 languages before I am 30 years old, so that gives me 11 years. Currently, I know English, Urdu and learning Japanese, I am going to take a Japanese language test called the JLPT in July. Good luck with everything.
Thank you! Good luck to you too with your JLPT, I hope it goes well
username3955940
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I want to learn Japanese (already know some), Korean, Mandarin, French and German the most. If I have some other time, I’d love to give Italian and Latin a go I already know Cantonese but I really need to improve on it lol. I can understand a Cantonese dialect called Hakka but it would be cool to learn more in depth about it
Asazycat
Rep:
?
t
(Original post by Estarossa)
I want to learn Japanese (already know some), Korean, Mandarin, French and German the most. If I have some other time, I’d love to give Italian and Latin a go I already know Cantonese but I really need to improve on it lol. I can understand a Cantonese dialect called Hakka but it would be cool to learn more in depth about it
Sounds great. We all have strengths and weaknesses, what's important is that we understand them so we can improve. I think you have a good understanding for that, you will do well.
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are we the same person? We speak the same languages-ish and we want to learn the same ones so are you me?
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nice1, I'm doing JLPT 1/2 this year
thotproduct
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm already fluent in English, Russian, Farsi,
i know bits of azeri, chechen and sakha but i want to improve those more, maybe some turkish since azeri might help with that
intermediate/advanced japanese but going to get that jlpt 1 soon
want to learn some more european languages, reimprove french, italian, and polish
Asazycat
Rep:
?
(Original post by thotproduct)
I'm already fluent in English, Russian, Farsi,
i know bits of azeri, chechen and sakha but i want to improve those more
intermediate/advanced japanese but going to get that jlpt 1 soon
want to learn some more european languages, reimprove french, italian, and polish
I want to learn Japanese, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Urdu( Can only speak it), Korean, Arabic, Spanish
username3955940
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
t Sounds great. We all have strengths and weaknesses, what's important is that we understand them so we can improve. I think you have a good understanding for that, you will do well.
Thank you! Yep, definitely going to work a lot on my Cantonese

(Original post by nyxnko_)
Are we the same person? We speak the same languages-ish and we want to learn the same ones so are you me?
Haha you are me and I am you what languages do you speak since you say ish?
Asazycat
Rep:
?
Nice1, I'm doing JLPT 1/2 this year
Cool. Best of luck
thotproduct
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I want to learn Japanese, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Urdu( Can only speak it), Korean, Arabic, Spanish
Nice, have you ever been to Japan ?

I used to be ok at Arabic but I've forgotten almost everything lmao, Chinese might be useful for the future

My only claim to fame on French is grade A GCSE lmao
Asazycat
Rep:
?
Nice, have you ever been to Japan ?

I used to be ok at Arabic but I've forgotten almost everything lmao, Chinese might be useful for the future

My only claim to fame on French is grade A GCSE lmao
Nope, will go there one day.
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Haha you are me and I am you what languages do you speak since you say ish?
I speak English (obvs ), some Mandarin Chinese (needs A LOT of work), some Cantonese, some Hakka and did Arabic and Spanish at GCSE (both of which I still suck at :getmecoat:) so yeah, they're -ish languages... I speak them -ish.
I would love to get my Chinese up to scratch, maybe get my Arabic and Spanish up there too (but I'm not really interested... :hide:) and learn Japanese, French and German so yeah, we're the same person -ish
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (228)
67.66%
No (109)
32.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed