The Student Room Group

Further Mathematics : Finding angle of a complex number kinda...

The question had two variables P and Q which were defined as geometric series. Last part of the question asked me to find angle in the range 0 < θ < π for which P + iQ is a real number. Since real numbers have no complex component, that means P + iQ lies on the x - axis, and only possible angles can be 0 or π, which is already outside the range. Can someone explain me please how it is possible that θ is within that range?

Here's the question: https://imgur.com/a/v8sQNrL
Original post by L15032015
The question had two variables P and Q which were defined as geometric series. Last part of the question asked me to find angle in the range 0 < θ < π for which P + iQ is a real number. Since real numbers have no complex component, that means P + iQ lies on the x - axis, and only possible angles can be 0 or π, which is already outside the range. Can someone explain me please how it is possible that θ is within that range?

Here's the question: https://imgur.com/a/v8sQNrL

Not quite, you're confusing yourself.

P+iQP+iQ being real implies that Q=0Q = 0.

So sinθ+sin2θ++sin12θ=0\sin \theta + \sin 2 \theta + \ldots + \sin 12\theta = 0.

Sure, θ=0,π\theta = 0, \pi are two possibilities as you say, but they are no in the range, and there are further solutions for which this equation is true which lie within the required interval.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Not quite, you're confusing yourself.

P+iQP+iQ being real implies that Q=0Q = 0.

So sinθ+sin2θ++sin12θ=0\sin \theta + \sin 2 \theta + \ldots + \sin 12\theta = 0.

Sure, θ=0,π\theta = 0, \pi are two possibilities as you say, but they are no in the range, and there are further solutions for which this equation is true which lie within the required interval.

I tried solving Q = 0, but I thought I was doing it wrong since trigonometric equation that I got seemed odd to me. I have now realized that I haven't practiced enough solving such trig equations. Now at least I know I am on the right track, thank you for your input.

Quick Reply

Latest