Beauty in the media. Watch

death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by louisedotcom)
I like your before picture more personally.

I could be really mean and put some of the most blatently photoshopped photos ive ever seen on here of someone I know but I wont.

The only time I edit my photos is to make them black and white usually, or if use some kind of effect to make it cartoony for example. Always blatently done, I dont photoshop out loads of spots and eye bags and stuff like that and then claim its me as normal. What annoys me more than photoshopping though is when girls post a pic and say 'Me with no make up' when you can blatently tell she does have make up on. Ill get cracking and see if I can find a pic to photoshop and ill post before/after
that's the most annoying one. i very rarely wear makeup but i know girls who wear it 24/7 because they think they need it to look like everyone else does naturally. despite the fact these 'natural' girls are clearly made up.

I have friends in real life who do it as well
'you might want to check your makeup'
'i'm not wearing any makeup'
'you've got mascara clumped in your eyelashes'
'oh right! well i'm wearing foundation, mascara and lipgloss but i don't count that as proper makeup'
:rolleyes:
louisedotcom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ssk2)
Whilst this is your personal view, it is horribly flawed and incorrect. Every top photographer retouches his/her photos, whether they be working with film or digital mediums. The great Ansel Adams used to edit his photos massively and if he did it, well I think we can. Just because you're editing photos, it doesn't mean the photo was 'bad', its just that you want to add an extra little touch or effect. Its perfectly usual.
This is correct. I studied photography for 2 years, and have a ND in it. Speaking from both personal experience, and professional knowledge editing photos isnt always about making a bad photo good, its about enhancing a photo that was already good. For the most part, you cant make a bad photo good anyway. Just for example, there are numerous darkroom techniques that can be used to enhance a photograph without actually changing anything about it- such as different types of darkroom paper. Even simple things like that can significantly improve a photograph, but that doesnt mean it was bad to begin with or that the person wasnt/isnt a good photographer.
Anonymous #1
Report 10 years ago
Well I had a go.
It's quite cathartic to sit around either retouching things to make them look 'better' or to add fault.
Crosseyed And Painless
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No anonymous attachments? Ahh well.
Attached files
death.drop
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crosseyed And Painless)
No anonymous attachments? Ahh well.
it's strange how you look at the original and don't see anything wrong with it, but then when you look at it again after seeing the edited version you see all the 'faults'
Personally i find it really interesting to see what people think could be improved.
i've noticed noses are a really common one, there's very few pictures where you'll see an unedited nose.

thanks for contributing
the_mercury_experiment
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
My sister had a photoshoot done at Doubletake which is quite a well known company. She was very excited about the photos arriving but when they did she was extremely annoyed to find they had photoshopped off her beauty spot.
Crosseyed And Painless
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by death.drop)
it's strange how you look at the original and don't see anything wrong with it, but then when you look at it again after seeing the edited version you see all the 'faults'
Personally i find it really interesting to see what people think could be improved.
i've noticed noses are a really common one, there's very few pictures where you'll see an unedited nose.

thanks for contributing
I pretty much used the links you gave as a guide, so skin lightening, eye colour change, lips, nose and face shape change. There was no way I was even going to think about attempting any hair stuff with mine though... I did eyebrows too because people I know seem to pluck their eyebrows constantly and it all seems a little silly. I couldn't post that without the before for comparison though.
Sundous
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://homepage.mac.com/gapodaca/dig...ini/index.html

This links is quite interesting as well.
death.drop
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sundous)
http://homepage.mac.com/gapodaca/dig...ini/index.html

This links is quite interesting as well.
ah i found that one and then lost it. i'll add it to the OP. thanks
Frannnnn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i so want photoshop now.
tis_me_lord
Report 10 years ago
I don't see the point really? If people saw your edited pic and complimented you on it you wouldn't feel good because its not really you - you might as well just post pictures of different people.

Or if you ever really liked someone online and got to the stage where you were to meet, they would be disappointed because you look really different to how they imagined you would.

So why bother? If you're really that scared of what people will think, don't put your picture up at all.
death.drop
Rep:
?
as I was keen to give this another go, but didn't really want to do anyone else's pic in case I offended them, I went in search of more (awful) pics of me.

luckily my ex had one insanely bad shot, i look like a fat man. and seriously...the difference has astounded me. I knew it made a difference but this only took about 10 minutes. imagine what the experts can do in the hours they spend on it...

I don't understand why people do it to every picture of themselves. yes you want people to see the best of you, but it's not you and mine is actually making me feel worse about the way I look. craziness.

if anybody wants me to give a picture of them a go, and doesn't mind being offended, then put a pic in the thread and i'll try.

edit: just to let you all know, if it wasn't for the sake of showing you how much of a difference photoshop can make I would never let anyone ever see that picture *hides in overgrown eyebrows*
Tucking Fypo
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Frannnnn)
i so want photoshop now.
Just download the trial and a key generator, and you're set.
blackrose33
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
excellent thread this is a topic that really worries me. its sad that some girls will really wear 24 hour makeup to keep this photoshopped look. It would really make my day if celebrities endorsed a campaign of 'no photoshopping' in a feature in a magazine... it would be very interesting. i wish we could just see real beauty... its gone too far now

Btw to death.drop its weird how different a photo can look to someone else. you probably hate that photo, i see natural prettiness.
death.drop
Rep:
?
(Original post by blackrose33)
excellent thread this is a topic that really worries me. its sad that some girls will really wear 24 hour makeup to keep this photoshopped look. It would really make my day if celebrities endorsed a campaign of 'no photoshopping' in a feature in a magazine... it would be very interesting. i wish we could just see real beauty... its gone too far now

Btw to death.drop its weird how different a photo can look to someone else. you probably hate that photo, i see natural prettiness.
lol thankyou, the second one surprised me a lot more, may add it to the OP but there's already quite a lot in there.

I think it was Jamie Lee Curtis that did a no-photoshop spread for a magasine. seeing as she's an older woman it was really brave. it's a shame more didn't follow suit.
bete noire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thing is like, all those models and stuff were at least solid 7s before the photoshoping
death.drop
Rep:
?
(Original post by i am a duck)
thing is like, all those models and stuff were at least solid 7s before the photoshoping
not all of them. but i guess it depends on your definitions. some of the women I looked at looked like the back end of a horse before the makeovers.

Thing is, if they're already that attractive then what's the point in improving them? surely they'd be good enough already.
bete noire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
to put on magazine covers cause no one wants to look at someone who looks just like they do really.

i understand where this thread is coming from but ive never really gotten the whole "yeah, they're only good looking cause they got photoshoped" thing. a lot of these people are just pretty attractive to begin with, regardless of how its cut
blackrose33
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by i am a duck)
i think its just the general point that ok you get stunning models but even they have flaws somewhere. they dont represent the average woman but i suppose they are still 'real' people (though very lucky real people lol!) ... when the airbrushing comes along it takes away reality. creates utter illusion and makes normal people feel like crap then we wonder why we have so many issues with people hating themsleves.

EDIT to new post above : But on that point I agree theres that whole issue too. Too much manufacturing of ideals in general right down to the actual model. where has the celebration of uniqueness gone??
Enyo
Report 10 years ago
A while ago I altered a few images of myself in paint making myself thinner and showed my house mates. They couldn't believe the difference and how seamless it looked and that it was in paint in just 15 minutes or so. Just showed us what can be done by a trained professional in photoshop. I realise now all pictures now must be touched up and don't feel so bad about myself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads