The Student Room Group

route inspection

for part d.

we know the sum of degrees of a graph in equal to n x 2, which is equal to m.

if we use the above graph as an example: for this graph, n = the total number of node (9), and m = (9 x 2 = 18).

to total number of arcs is 17.

for part d,i) how can to total number of arcs be equal to: m/2?
Original post by Prasiortle
Let's say there's an odd number of vertices of odd order. Then the sum of their orders is the sum of an odd number of odd numbers, which will be odd (as odd *odd = odd). Then we add on the orders of the even vertices, so we get odd + a bunch of evens, giving odd. But the total of the vertices' orders can't be odd. Thus there can't be an odd number of vertices of odd order.

I understand the last question: how about this?
Original post by Maths&physics
I understand the last question: how about this?

for part d.

we know the sum of degrees of a graph in equal to n x 2, which is equal to m.

if we use the above graph as an example: for this graph, n = the total number of node (9), and m = (9 x 2 = 18).

to total number of arcs is 17.

for part d,i) how can to total number of arcs be equal to: m/2?

The sum of the degrees (orders) of the nodes equals two times the number of arcs. This is called the Handshaking Lemma. I'm not sure what you're asking exactly, as your post is not really coherent.
The sum of the degrees (orders) of the nodes equals two times the number of arcs. This is called the Handshaking Lemma. I'm not sure what you're asking exactly, as your post is not really coherent.

oh, its equal to the sum of the arcs x 2, not the sum of the nodes x 2.
oh, its equal to the sum of the arcs x 2, not the sum of the nodes x 2.

"Sum of the arcs" and "sum of the nodes" are both meaningless. To put it as clearly as I can, let's say there are n nodes, and they each have a degree - we'll use d_k to refer to the degree of node k, or in other words, the number of arcs that go through from node k.

Then we have d_1 + d_2 + d_3 + ... + d_n = 2*the number of edges.
"Sum of the arcs" and "sum of the nodes" are both meaningless. To put it as clearly as I can, let's say there are n nodes, and they each have a degree - we'll use d_k to refer to the degree of node k, or in other words, the number of arcs that go through from node k.

im with you up to here

Then we have d_1 + d_2 + d_3 + ... + d_n = 2*the number of edges.

n = number of nodes

d (some degree) and k = node?

and im lost after that

so, the way I understand it:

the sum of the valencies/degrees of a graph is: 2 x number of arcs

this MUST be even (2 x any integer = even integer)

therefore, there cant be an odd number of odd valencies, as odd + odd (is even) + odd = odd

therefore the total would be odd, but it cant be because we know it MUST be even
(edited 5 years ago)
the sum of the valencies/degrees of a graph is: 2 x number of arcs

This is just a restatement of what I just said. Remember that 'arc' and 'edge' are synonymous. "The sum of the degrees" is d_1 + d_2 + d_3 + ..., where d_i is the degree of vertex i. d_1 is the degree of the first vertex, d_2 is the degree of the second vertex, and so on, and we go on adding them up.

The proof you wrote after this is correct.
This is just a restatement of what I just said. Remember that 'arc' and 'edge' are synonymous. "The sum of the degrees" is d_1 + d_2 + d_3 + ..., where d_i is the degree of vertex i. d_1 is the degree of the first vertex, d_2 is the degree of the second vertex, and so on, and we go on adding them up.

The proof you wrote after this is correct.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest