Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    my hair is quite straight naturally but id love to have curly hair!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    Because straight hair suits my face better. I look like a seventies man with wavy hair, and theyre not nice waves, more like square waves.
    This is exactly how I describe myself when I let my hair naturally dry. I look like Justin Lee Collins.

I only straighten my hair once every week or two now, but still blowdry, so it goes kind of puffy but straightish.

ReputationRep:
    ^ I know its amazing how different your face looks by changing your hair, but I might try it curly one day, maybe

ReputationRep:
    if i had curly or wavy hair then i probably wouldn't as much. But as my hairs just quite fuzzy with a random kink or two then i must!

ReputationRep:
    My hair is crazy... Kind of reflects my personality though.

Atm my job means I don't have to look super smart so I'm enjoying not having to straighten my hair all the time (I'm used to working jobs where I have to look pristine all the time and straighten my hair every day)...

I look really different with straight hair compared to my natural crazy curlyness. (as in people who've known me only with the crazyness struggle to recognise me when it's straight lol)/ Loving the madness at the mo.

ReputationRep:
    I straighten my hair because it looks nicer straightened however as someone else above said, I blowdry it with lots of volume first and then run my straighteners over the lengths and ends so I don't lose all of the volume.

Today though I have curly hair having given it a bash with my straighteners and it looks wicked so I'll be doing it more often!

ReputationRep:
    When I first saw this thread title I couldn't have gone by without posting in it :P

With some of my friends, yes I do wonder, 'why do you straighten your hair'- mainly because i've seen it in it's natural state, and looks lovely. For example my one friends hair is straight and silky without doing anything to do it.
    Then you have me! I describe my hair has 'afro-carribean' type, because even though i'm white, I have the kind of hair that if I wore down and lent to the side for a bit, my hair
    would happily mould itself into that position forever more.

I do actually have a picture of my hair after blowdrying and before straightening, but it's too embarassing to post here- my hair basically protrudes about 20cm from my head! It's SO thick, dry- just a huge mess. When I straighten it with GHD's it makes a HUGE difference, but still not as straight and sleek as I would like. Naturally my hair is curly, thick, and dry- these features don't go well together for leaving my hair naturally curly. My hair dries in poofy masses of curls rather than lovely formed ringlets!

ReputationRep:
    is it just me or do girls with naturally very straight hair tend to straighten it anyway? i know loads of people like this :confused:

anyway i do mine occasionally as it looks different to how it naturally is (which is how i prefer it: big and messy and effortless) and it looks longer as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bisous)
    is it just me or do girls with naturally very straight hair tend to straighten it anyway? i know loads of people like this :confused:
    Yes so do I! Thats the frustrating thing. I think boys should know that there really are some cases (like mine) where not straightening hair results in an out of control cavegirl mess type look!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerley)
    Because my hair is awful when it isn't straightened! I think it can look a lot more natural and pretty if your hair is left unstraightened, but only if you have the right type of hair, which unfortunately I don't!
    My hair is exactly the same if its allowed to dry naturally it flicks out and in and looks awful. When its wet it looks really pretty and wavy but when its dry its a mess.

ReputationRep:
    My hair is naturally really straight. I do own a cheap pair of straighteners though for when I have layers cut in, they sometimes like to stick out at the ends in random places.

I would love to have naturally wavy or curly hair so that I could have curls if I wanted to. My hair is so straight that if I can manage to get my hair to curl, it goes straight again within an hour or two. This leaves me looking like I haven't bothered brushing my hair for days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I can't stand poker straight hair , however, I do blow dry my hair because my naturally wavy hair looks crap at it length if it's wavy, partly becuase it's super thick. I think a bit of blowdrying is a good middleground between straightening with straighteners and leaving it in a wavy mess.
    Unfortunatly that's what some of us where born with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheesyBeans)
    Unfortunatly that's what some of us where born with.
    I meant the 'emo girl , straightened to death' type poker straight. I think if hair is naturally straight it can look very pretty.

ReputationRep:
    The other thing is my hair looks longer by about three inches when it's straightened and seeing as I am trying to grow my hair it's a good thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash_moo)
    Are you really short by any chance?

Oh, and welcome to TSR
    thanks(for the welcome) and no im not short, im 5ft 5"

ReputationRep:
    i straighten my hair coz i like to make an effort and look good all the time, if i didn't id look like a moose with an afro, coz i have very thick hair (hairdressers love it ) just had it cut to a graduated bob need to wash it tonight but im so worried it will look rubbish coz i left it yesterday after the salon, salon beautful hair is almost never achieveable at home!!

but people who straighten it so much it sticks to there head is a no no,

ReputationRep:
    I have quite long mixed race hair, it's not really practical for me to straighten it myself. My friend used to get hers straightened, and she asked me to come with her so I did. It lasted about 3 weeks, and was in many ways preferable to curly hair - no tangles, I could actually brush through it when it was dry which was a first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    I've always found girls with frizzy/wavy hair to be so much more attractive. Am I just odd?
    Yes. Yes you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    I've always found girls with frizzy/wavy hair to be so much more attractive. Am I just odd?
    Yes.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why is it odd to like wavy hair?

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.