The Student Room Group

Keeps starting convos, does he like me?

A while ago he started messaging and it was just as friends, then he asked if I wanted to grab a drink and hang out. I told him that I'm happy to be friends but I wasn't interested in anything more. He said that's cool and he meant as friends as well.

Anyway since then, he has continued to message and we just chat as friends about random stuff. No flirting at all and to be honest his chat isn't that great. He doesn't know how to keep it flowing so often I just leave his message and then he'll realise I'm not replying so he'll follow it up.

He doesn't have the busiest social life at the moment so I don't know if he's just bored or what. I feel like if I mention it again, he'll say 'don't worry I see us as friends as well' even if he doesn't. And then will continue to message.

It'd be great to have a new platonic relationship, I'm totally open for that. But from your experience, if a guy is messaging you frequently, is it likely that he likes you? I know the simple thing is to ask, but I don't think he'd be truthful, he's quite reserved.

At the moment I'm trying to be careful so I'm not giving too much back. I take hours to reply and my messages can be quite short so I don't know why he'd continue to pursue friendship or more.
Rip, literally this is me. Being the guy in this. Yes, we like the girl. No real reason why else we would invest so much time otherwise.
He knows he's friendzoned but there is hope as long as the conversation keeps going and being in the friendzone is enjoyable if it means talking to the girl you like.
Maybe he wants something more if hes being consistent. Maybe his chat is bad because he hasn’t shown you his full self and is nervous. Maybe hint that you dont like him like that if you dont to gradually let him down slowly
Or he could just be lonely and bored, it depends what he messages you
Reply 4
Original post by Volibear
So you started talking 'as friends' and the minute he asks you to meet up, you assume it's romantically and put him in his place?

I think you're reading in to this too much. Maybe he just wants to be friends and considers you a good friend and easy to talk to?

Just thought it would be for the best so he didn't think I was leading him on. Have been in that situation in the past.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Rip, literally this is me. Being the guy in this. Yes, we like the girl. No real reason why else we would invest so much time otherwise.
He knows he's friendzoned but there is hope as long as the conversation keeps going and being in the friendzone is enjoyable if it means talking to the girl you like.

Yeah that makes sense. Do you think he'd still have hope then? I haven't been flirting at all even though it normally comes quite naturally.
Original post by terse
Yeah that makes sense. Do you think he'd still have hope then? I haven't been flirting at all even though it normally comes quite naturally.

Yep. As long as you carry on replying he has hope you will change your mind. It's classic guy syndrome and I guess that's why for instance after breakups it's best to just delete contacts (if you're the girl) assuming she breaks up with him or he'll keep trying. If not now, then he'll give it some time.

Really all you can do is keep doing what you're doing- short replies, being polite but making it pretty obvious you aren't interested. And eventually he'll realise and stop trying. He'll move his attention onto another girl he thinks he has a better chance with!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending