dontgo2uni
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I started a placement only 2 days ago and I HATE it! its the snobbiest place you can imagine and no one wants to be friends or even make me feel welcome there, I am absolutely dreading going into work tomorrow and all I can do is cry about it! I'm working 5 shifts and they are all 12pm-11pm or even later, I am not even doing anything there related to my degree in the slightest, I feel like I am just working there so they don't have to hire someone else. I'm scared that quitting will give my university a bad name at the place, should I quit? or am I being stupid?
G97D
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doesn’t matter if it gives your uni a bad name. If you’re not happy there and they’re not doing their part in welcoming you and providing you with training or what not then you’re not obliged to stay there. This principle applies to any industry you go into therefore you are within your right to act upon it. Then again it’s only 5 days so you might as well bare and grin and you’re out of there for good. Good luck with whatever you choose to do 🏋🏻*♀️
AppleB
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Haven’t they given you a placement support team email? If not, speak to your uni - personal tutor. Remember this is just a placement you’re not there for a full time job. hope this helps!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is your placement a compulsory part of your degree? If so, I would guess that it's not as simple as just quitting.

If you are this upset about it, then definitely contact your uni ASAP- but I wouldn't quit until you have an ok from them.

FWIW, a lot of people don't go to work to make friends, so I wouldn't assume their lack of openness is anything personal. If it'll look good on your CV, can you just try to go in and be professional and not worry too much about how others are treating you unless they're being openly rude?
KimTrumpUn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what placement are u doing to work 12 + shifts
is it medical
dontgo2uni
Rep:
?
(Original post by KimTrumpUn)
what placement are u doing to work 12 + shifts
is it medical
no it is as a waitress
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dontgo2uni)
no it is as a waitress
That's not a placement then, that's a job.
username3509418
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I started a placement only 2 days ago and I HATE it! its the snobbiest place you can imagine and no one wants to be friends or even make me feel welcome there, I am absolutely dreading going into work tomorrow and all I can do is cry about it! I'm working 5 shifts and they are all 12pm-11pm or even later, I am not even doing anything there related to my degree in the slightest, I feel like I am just working there so they don't have to hire someone else. I'm scared that quitting will give my university a bad name at the place, should I quit? or am I being stupid?
Stuff like this make me think cancelling my placement year and not doing a placement year is a good idea
dontgo2uni
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
no it is a placement for my university degree
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Waitressing should by no means be a placement for a university degree, I'm confused as to why you would accept such a job?

Your best bet is probably to quit as soon as possible and return to the non-placement course
emmaxxx333
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes x
ThePricklyOne
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What's your degree and how is placement related to it?
federam
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ThePricklyOne)
What's your degree and how is placement related to it?
" I do Film Studies BSc at University of Greenwich "
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lol doing waitressing should not count as a placement

Posted from TSR Mobile
dontgo2uni
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
very late to replying but it is for an events management degree. and the degree is hospitality based, so waitressing was a viable placement
dontgo2uni
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
lol doing waitressing should not count as a placement

Posted from TSR Mobile
its for an events management degree, and events management is hospitality based. so doing waitressing as a placement is a viable option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (326)
46.05%
No (78)
11.02%
I'm not old enough (304)
42.94%

Watched Threads