The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official OXFORD 2019 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

How does DPIR go about sending offers? Do they send acceptances first? As it is so late in the game and I have seen on Grad Cafe that many DPhil candidates did hear back, it naturally feels I don't stand a chance at this point. It seems like people who would be nominated for scholarships like Nuffield etc got their acceptances right away. Am I completely disillusioned? Please share any insights you might have
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Falconer94
Thank you, and best of luck to those of you waiting to hear back!

For those who use Grad Cafe, I posted details there and should be fairly easy to spot as the only IR respondent so far. Otherwise, I received an email with the letter attached on Wednesday 20 March at around 12:00pm GMT. I sent in my application in early-to-mid-October, though the final referee didn't submit their reference until early January. I graduated from St Andrews with a first-class MA (Hons) in IR in 2016 and have since then been working in a field relevant to my research proposal.

I specified Balliol as my college choice and applied for the ESRC studentship, but have heard from neither.

Hopefully that's useful, but as I'm new to all this then feel free to ask for more if I've left anything out!

Thanks so much for responding. Ah, so that was you on GC! Congratulations again. Here’s hoping you hear good news from Balliol!

I am really hoping that DPIR release *both* acceptances and rejections over the course of a few days or weeks instead of acceptances as one gathered field and rejections more as an afterthought. I tried to figure it out based on past years but didn’t get very far. It turns my stomach thinking I’m holding out hope in vain.
Reply 1902
This may be a stupid question but just wondering - how do we go about finding accommodation? I received my course offer today but haven't heard back from a college so far and I expect it might take some time.

Is it better to apply for accommodation through the university's accommodation service right away or to wait until I hear back from a college, in case they might have some kind of accommodation for their own students? I'm just wondering because my budget will be pretty tight and I'd like to be able to apply to the most affordable accommodation possible. If I continue waiting until I hear back from a college, is it likely that the affordable options will be already taken?

Also, just how much more expensive is accommodation in the private sector compared to University accommodation in Oxford, and how hard is it to find? I've heard it's bad but I've never lived around there so have no clue. Coming from a much more affordable city, so the rents will come as a shock in any case.
Original post by TraineeHistorian
I remember Cambridge has a tool for this, which might be useful! https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-qualifications

Thank you. I saw this, I just wasn't sure if it's the same one Oxford also uses.
Anyone applied and heard back from the MSc Global Health Science and Epidemiology?
Original post by QHF
December is very early to receive an offer on the overall course, and it might well be that the next college in line to consider you is only just getting round to considering its graduate applicants. Or that there is an internal process for reshuffling people rejected by their first-choice college which is only run at a specific time when enough applicants have been accumulated.

Waiting is frustrating, and it's natural to want to know where exactly you'll be, but remember that you have the really important part—the overall course offer—already in your hands, and indeed you've already had that for some time!

Thank you so much for the encouragement!!! That's reassuring. Guess I'll have to wait it out:smile:
And best wishes to all that are still in this wait game!!!
I got rejected from MSc Refugee and Forced Migration Studies today. However, I do not feel inadequate - but I will sound like a sore loser for the following.

I have a few things going for me:
- I am on course for a high first class (this year, so far, I have averaged 78%, but I am hoping to get this into the 80s with my dissertation) and I am one of the top ten students in my year.
- The essays I gave in to admissions were graded 84% and 82%.
- I had brilliant references from the Heads of my Business School.
- I started my degree at 17, a year younger than everyone, but still managed to achieve better grades than those older than me.

- My dissertation is on refugees; a comparative study in the immigration systems of the UK and Australia in relation to refugees - a direct link to the course.
- I have relevant work experience (but also years of experience as a manager). I worked with a leading academic in refugee studies in my university putting on seminars to raise awareness for the Rohingya refugee crisis.
- I met the course leader in November, and he said he would look out for my application - but has ignored the two emails I have sent him over the course of the year. I also spoke to a girl that did the course the previous year, and she seemed to think it would be pretty easy for me to get in.
- I am not reliant on a loan or a scholarship to get in (I thought the inheritance from my father would be nice to use on an Oxford degree, I know how proud he would have been of me, if I had gotten in).

However, I believe I didn't get in because international students are favoured over UK students; UK student fees are £21,200, whereas international is £26,960. I am unpublished and I am from an old polytechnic university which is not very prestigious. When I visited the Refugee Studies Centre, in Oxford, I was quite surprised at how multicultural it was, and I looked forward to being a part of that being half Asian myself.
I think Oxford is quite money orientated, thus the £75 course fee, and a £5,000 increase (in one year) of course fees (for the course I applied to). Last year the course cost £16,000.

So, I do not feel inadequate or that I wasn't good enough, because I think I probably was good enough. But the competition was very strong, and I think being a UK citizen, and not the alumni of Oxford, or another prestigious university worked strongly against me.

I would love for someone to tell me I am wrong about everything, and that I am deluding myself to feel better - so please feel free to challenge me on it, as I am just speculating. I do not want to appear to be making excuses for my failures and put the blame on others, so please, PLEASE, pLeAsE call me out! But I do hope that this post is a little pick me up for other people who were rejected. I am sure you were excellent candidates that had the capacity to study at Oxford.
I'm sorry to hear that you weren't offered a place; it sounds like your application was strong and that you're really passionate about the course.

Just my two cents - I don't think you're being fair on international students. It's true that postgrad at Oxford is far more international than undergrad, but my impression is that this is owed to the higher percentage of international applicants. If Oxford only cared about getting higher fees from international students, we'd see the same trend at undergrad. I suspect the ratio of applicants is different due to fewer British people being able to afford to study for Master's courses; the government loan of £10k is nowhere near enough to finance the course and scholarships at that level are few and far between. I'm British and hold two offers for Master's courses at Oxford, but probably won't attend because I'm not rich enough to self-fund.

To be totally honest, it sounds like the weakest part of your application was your undergraduate university. Oxford places a great deal of emphasis not only on your marks, but the institution you studied at. I know a lot of postgrads at Oxford and the majority of them studied at Oxbridge or other Russell Group universities for undergrad.

It's also worth noting that Oxford seems to have changed its fee structure in the past year. Whereas college fees used to be listed separately to course fees, they are now lumped together in one sum. So whilst it may seem like the course fee jumped in the past year, I believe this just reflects the two fees being combined.

So in short, don't be put off from Oxford because you're British. If this is your dream course, perhaps consider reapplying next year with additional relevant work experience/publications under your belt :smile:
Original post by VictoriaJasmine
I got rejected from MSc Refugee and Forced Migration Studies today. However, I do not feel inadequate - but I will sound like a sore loser for the following.

- I am on course for a high first class (this year, so far, I have averaged 78%, but I am hoping to get this into the 80s with my dissertation) and I am one of the top ten students in my year.
- I started my degree at 17, a year younger than everyone, but still managed to achieve better grades than those older than me.

- My dissertation is on refugees; a comparative study in the immigration systems of the UK and Australia in relation to refugees - a direct link to the course.
- I have relevant work experience (but also years of experience as a manager). I worked with a leading academic in refugee studies in my university putting on seminars to raise awareness for the Rohingya refugee crisis.
- I met the course leader in November, and he said he would look out for my application - but has ignored the two emails I have sent him over the course of the year. I also spoke to a girl that did the course the previous year, and she seemed to think it would be pretty easy for me to get in.
- I am not reliant on a loan or a scholarship to get in (I thought the inheritance from my father would be nice to use on an Oxford degree, I know how proud he would have been of me, if I had gotten in).

However, I believe I didn't get in because international students are favoured over UK students; UK student fees are £21,200, whereas international is £26,960. I am unpublished and I am from an old polytechnic university which is not very prestigious. When I visited the Refugee Studies Centre, in Oxford, I was quite surprised at how multicultural it was, and I looked forward to being a part of that being half Asian myself.
I think Oxford is quite money orientated, thus the £75 course fee, and a £5,000 increase (in one year) of course fees (for the course I applied to). Last year the course cost £16,000.

So, I do not feel inadequate or that I wasn't good enough, because I think I probably was good enough. But the competition was very strong, and I think being a UK citizen, and not the alumni of Oxford, or another prestigious university worked strongly against me.

I would love for someone to tell me I am wrong about everything, and that I am deluding myself to feel better - so please feel free to challenge me on it, as I am just speculating. I do not want to appear to be making excuses for my failures and put the blame on others, so please, PLEASE, pLeAsE call me out! But I do hope that this post is a little pick me up for other people who were rejected. I am sure you were excellent candidates that had the capacity to study at Oxford.
(edited 5 years ago)
Got an offer for the MPhil in International Relations yesterday! :smile:
I’m very sorry you weren’t offered a place and you do sound very qualified.

I have been offered a place on the MSc in Applied Landscape Archaeology. I don’t how comparable you’ll find my comments as I am on the part time course. I was hesitant at first to apply as I wasn’t sure I was the “type” either.

In fact I had the smoothest application process ever. I applied 29th January, was interviewed 20th February and had my offer on 28th February. My first choice college accepted me last week.

I’m a white female UK student. I’m 40 this year. I have three kids. I live in a quite economically down area. I am just finishing my undergrad at Leicester via distance learning. So I don’t have a “typical” oxford background.

I guess what I have going for me is that I am averaging 75 with lots of marks in the 80’s. My area of special interest is under studied. But I know I’m no more qualified, and probably less so, that a lot of people at Oxford.

I think I may be lucky that my course is run through the dept for continuing education and Kellogg was my college choice as it most suits my status. It’s still competitive and it’s still Oxford but I do think it might be less subscribed than other courses.

You said you started your degree a year early, maybe you could take a year out and apply again?

I don't find this post comforting and I think it impugns the credentials of those international students who were selected on their merits. My impression is that the standard is very-high and consequently lots of people do not get in.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by IRsweden

Congrats! I am still waiting for a response from DPIR, and I hope to hear great news from them. Would you mind sharing whether you're an int'l student or a UK citizen? I am an international student. *I think your username gave it away lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Do you guys think they will send out responses throughout the weekend?
Original post by christian01541
Congrats! I am still waiting for a response from DPIR, and I hope to hear great news from them. Would you mind sharing whether you're an int'l student or a UK citizen? I am an international student. *I think your username gave it away lol

Thank you! I'm sure you'll hear some great news from them soon :smile: Haha well spotted! I'm also an international student (EU-citizen)
Congrats on your offer! Seems like they are only sending out offers only for now... this ain’t helping my heart haha
Original post by IRsweden
Original post by kuu
This may be a stupid question but just wondering - how do we go about finding accommodation? I received my course offer today but haven't heard back from a college so far and I expect it might take some time.

Is it better to apply for accommodation through the university's accommodation service right away or to wait until I hear back from a college, in case they might have some kind of accommodation for their own students? I'm just wondering because my budget will be pretty tight and I'd like to be able to apply to the most affordable accommodation possible. If I continue waiting until I hear back from a college, is it likely that the affordable options will be already taken?

Also, just how much more expensive is accommodation in the private sector compared to University accommodation in Oxford, and how hard is it to find? I've heard it's bad but I've never lived around there so have no clue. Coming from a much more affordable city, so the rents will come as a shock in any case.

I have the same question as well! Can anyone advise? @threeportdrift ? Thanks!
Reply 1916

Your profile sounds fine, it's a good, solid profile. It's the average profile of an Oxbridge applicant though. The harsh truth is that it's not exceptional, it's merely average. There are literally thousands of applicants with equally or more impressive profiles from both the UK and from around the entire world. There are so many more highly qualified applicants than there are places. Maybe your proposal/statemtent of purpose wasn't up to scratch, maybe your references weren't as brilliant as you thought they were when compared to others', maybe your research interests weren't a good fit for the faculty members, maybe another applicant with grades and work experience similar to yours already had a publication under their belt, maybe your writing samples were marked too highly at the time and didn't impress the academics assessing your application, maybe another applicant came across more enthusiastic or knowledgeable in their writing.
As others have pointed out, if it were about the international fees, we would see a steady increase of the number of international students at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. But we don't. At postgrad level, the best people get in on their merits. And a lot of very capable applicants don't make the cut.
So it's unlikely that your fee status was the reason for your rejection. Maybe your application simply wasn't as exceptional as you thought. Maybe other applicants just had stronger applications.
But you can always work on yours, improve it, improve your profile and re-apply. I hope my reply wasn't too harsh but you asked to be challenged. Best of luck with a second application or with one of your alternative choices that I'm sure you have.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1917
You can apply to the central university accomodation office as soon as you have your offer so I would reccommend doing this just in case your college cannot offer accomodation. If you end up with an offer from both you can just choose whichever best suits your budget/needs.

I’m currently based in Oxford and renting privately. It is absolutely extortionate if you want to rent a flat on your own, but it can be affordable if you are happy to live in a houseshare (as many of my friends do) or very far out from the city centre. In my experience there are always plenty of rentals available in the city and lots of agents specialise in rentals specifically for students which is helpful!
If you want to know anything else about living in Oxford please let me know :smile:
Original post by kuu

I'm on the 8th week and haven't heard back yet. Is this a bad sign? A friend of mine suggested it may be, and it sounds like everyone on here has heard back already from their departments. Ought I prepare for the worst?
Original post by unikid,
I'm on the 8th week and haven't heard back yet. Is this a bad sign? A friend of mine suggested it may be, and it sounds like everyone on here has heard back already from their departments. Ought I prepare for the worst?

Some of us are going into our 11th week of waiting so I think you’re good haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending