ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emagine18)
    Hi Guys,

- Previous University: University of York
    - Previous Course: MPsych
    - Achieved Grade: First with distinction
    - Prospective Course: DPhil in Clinical Neurosciences
    - Prospective College: No idea!

I'm thinking about applying for the DPhil. I only achieved 75 in my masters which was apparently a starred first/ first with distinction. I dont have that much research experience apart from a few months here and there during my degree. However, for the past 4 months I've been working in another russel group uni as a research assistant (12 month post) - in a topic extremely relevant to my proposed DPhil topic. My potential supervisor seems pretty keen to work with me on the project, but in terms of grades and experience do you think I stand a chance? I've been rejected from other universities previously for PhD programmes (although this was before I had any research experience at all and I didn't know my grades). Unsure whether to bother or just save myself from disappointment!
    Hey,

i have a similar situation my overall mark from my recognised Australian university engineering bachelor is 74.68 % however I graduated with First class honours (which my university grades if you get >=80% in 3rd,4th year and thesis project marks) . “Graduated with First Class Honours” is stated on my official academic transcript.
    Will Oxbridge/top unis in UK consider this as a first class honours graduate!?
    Also, I’m interested in applying for Cambridge mPhil engineering so I would be taking some research projects- how did you contact your potential supervisor from Oxbridge for your course? Any tips? I should see if they are interested in my potential topic.
    thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirations101)
    Hey,

i have a similar situation my overall mark from my recognised Australian university engineering bachelor is 74.68 % however I graduated with First class honours (which my university grades if you get >=80% in 3rd,4th year and thesis project marks) . Will Oxbridge/top unis in UK consider this as a first class honours graduate!?
    Also, I’m interested in applying for Cambridge mPhil engineering so I would be taking some research projects- how did you contact your potential supervisor from Oxbridge for your course? Any tips? I should see if they are interested in my potential topic.
    thanks for the help
    Hi there!

Yes, I think mine is similar. They award First Class if you get 70% and First Class with Distinction if you get over 75%, plus over 80% in the final year project (which I had). It's a bit confusing really. I don't know much about engineering but it definitely seems like you have a first and as good a chance as anyone else.

I simply went on the relevant research group's website and emailed one of the lecturers who I was interested in working with. I kept the email brief, as there's nothing they hate more than reading long, irrelevant emails! I had one sentence saying who I was and my academic background and then a paragraph on my project idea. I asked them to get in contact if they were interested in supervising the project. You should probably also attach your CV! I forgot to do this but they emailed me asking for it anyway.

I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Finished brushing up my proposal - starting on the Academic CV. In the education section, how far back should I go? Undergrad? A levels? My A levels were good, but not stellar, so I see no need to draw attention to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Private, I)
    Finished brushing up my proposal - starting on the Academic CV. In the education section, how far back should I go? Undergrad? A levels? My A levels were good, but not stellar, so I see no need to draw attention to them.
    Undergrad is useful. I would suggest skipping A levels unless one of them happens to be directly relevant and hasn't been superseded by a later qualification in the same subject (e.g. you are applying to study medieval European history and you have a good A level in Latin).

ReputationRep:
    Yea, that's sort of what I was assuming. Nice to have confirmation though, so thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I am applying to Oxford but I got confused and could not decide with which should I go.I have two options, MSt and MPhil, and I want to know which is more likely to admit me since my chance is not great.what you think guys? which one should I apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samyoz)
    Hi,I am applying to Oxford but I got confused and could not decide with which should I go.I have two options, MSt and MPhil, and I want to know which is more likely to admit me since my chance is not great.what you think guys? which one should I apply to?
    Hey. Firstly, you are aware that (from my understanding) the Mphil is a research course, and the MSt is the coursework based course, right?

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Firstly, you are aware that (from my understanding) the Mphil is a research course, and the MSt is the coursework based course, right?
    Yes, I am. It's just I don't have a special preference given my low chance. The that is popular and have many applicants is the one that I am less likely to be admitted in, but I couldn't identify which one it is. So do u have an idea about which one is popular and more qualification/GPA demanding? that one I should avoid.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here applied for the MSt/MPhil in Linguistics, Philology and Phonetics?

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Planning to apply to the MSt in English (1900-Present) strand, but not very sure about what i’m supposed to propose as an area of research. Any ideas what the English department is looking for?

Currently doing a research project on Children's literature and fantasy in the modern period ~ 1960s, but I doubt that fits anywhere.

Feeling apprehensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabberwonky)
    Hi. Planning to apply to the MSt in English (1900-Present) strand, but not very sure about what i’m supposed to propose as an area of research. Any ideas what the English department is looking for?

Currently doing a research project on Children's literature and fantasy in the modern period ~ 1960s, but I doubt that fits anywhere.

Feeling apprehensive.
    The English Faculty will probably be interested if you have an area of research which seems generative, which you understand, which develops in a logical way from your work up to now, and which suits the faculty's resources. It'll also help if you can demonstrate that you have at least some sense for whatever is going on at the moment in that area of research—this ties in neatly with showing that you understand it—so with whatever you go for, being able to note one or two recent publications on it, and a way in which what you're interested in doing might build on those to bring out new insights.

On the last point, suiting the faculty's resources, think about how specific teaching on the MSt, specific collections in Oxford, and perhaps specific people in the faculty might be useful to you, and explain that. So, for instance, if you're interested in children's literature and fantasy, the presence of the Opie Collection of Children's Literature in Oxford (alongside the broader legal deposit coverage of the Bodleian, which would make finding more obscure 20th-century books aimed at children easier) might be relevant. Oxford holds a number of children's authors' archives (I find, after ten seconds of Googling): are any of them people you might investigate—especially bearing in mind the B Course on the MSt, which equips you to examine that kind of material? Do any of the modern period people in the faculty work on childrens' books? (There is a filter-by-period tool on the staff section of the faculty website.) Are there specific components of the MSt course which are important to you? Make your research statement a logical case which shows you are a good student with a defined research interest which develops from your undergraduate work and gives you precise motivations to take the MSt at Oxford, not just 'because it's Oxford'.

It's probably best not to be too cynical about shaping your research interests to what you second-guess to be the faculty's desires. Your application's likely to be stronger and more useful if it's an honest and specific argument about your suitability to the MSt and the MSt's usefulness for you.

ReputationRep:
    anyone got an offer yet ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historynerd2018)
    Hey! Hopeful applicant here, I have been planning on submitting by the Jan. 11 deadline, because my course page has no information about an earlier November deadline, but seeing some chatter about that deadline has me a little nervous. I am also an applicant from the US if that changes anything. Thoughts?
    Hi there, which programme are you applying?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It’s been a while since I checked this thread last time. I’ve drafted a dozen of personal statements and am still paranoid about not getting it right.

Also, I’ve been discouraged by all kinds of information regrading my application. It’s just so frustrating to know that people who study the same subject in other schools can attain such high overall grades as 73-75(this average is really rare in my school, I guess 1% perhaps.)

Sigh... anw, can anybody please tell me what do you think about using long sentences in your personal statement? Should I completely avoid it? I’m just unsure about this given that most scholar works we read do contain many long sentences. Just wondering your thoughts on this. TIA😄

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qnnnn817)
    It’s been a while since I checked this thread last time. I’ve drafted a dozen of personal statements and am still paranoid about not getting it right.

Also, I’ve been discouraged by all kinds of information regrading my application. It’s just so frustrating to know that people who study the same subject in other schools can attain such high overall grades as 73-75(this average is really rare in my school, I guess 1% perhaps.)

Sigh... anw, can anybody please tell me what do you think about using long sentences in your personal statement? Should I completely avoid it? I’m just unsure about this given that most scholar works we read do contain many long sentences. Just wondering your thoughts on this. TIA😄
    What grades did you attain in your undergrad? overall?

ReputationRep:
    What grades did you attain in your undergrad? overall?
    Thanks for your reply! My average is 69... tho still on track of getting a first class. I think with this grade, I don’t stand any chance... Not sure what it’s like in other unis, I did hear a lot 70+ for political science students in other UK unis. But in my school, a 70+average is really rare, let alone 75+

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply! My average is 69... tho still on track of getting a first class. I think with this grade, I don’t stand any chance... Not sure what it’s like in other unis, I did hear a lot 70+ for political science students in other UK unis. But in my school, a 70+average is really rare, let alone 75+
    Right, I understand your concern. When you say you're on track to get a first class honors, is that based on the unique system your own university uses to class honors grades? I have a similar dilemma, where my final bachelor average is 74.69%, however I got a first class (80%+) due to only the 3rd, 4th and thesis unit marks counting for the honors mark (my unique university grading system). So on my transcript, I graduated with a first class honors, although my overall mark over my entire university course is sub 80%.

Im still not sure what to think of it. One person said I definitely am considered as a first class graduate in the eyes of oxbridge and other universities, and if that's the case, the I would say you should apply anyways!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, which programme are you applying?
    I’m applying to a MSt in History. My background is not in history although very closely related, I have taken many history courses and written several history research papers.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Wishing luck to all who are applying - I've recently just sent off my application.

- Current University: University of Warwick - Politics with International Studies
    - Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1:1 (74% overall w/ 94% in Dissertation)
    - Prospective Course: MPhil Political Theory
    - Prospective College: Nuffield
    - Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: May be going onto The Chase in the near future!

If anyone wants any advice on the application process just let me know and I will try and share my experiences of applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crichards3)
    Hi! Wishing luck to all who are applying - I've recently just sent off my application.

- Current University: University of Warwick - Politics with International Studies
    - Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1:1 (74% overall w/ 94% in Dissertation)
    - Prospective Course: MPhil Political Theory
    - Prospective College: Nuffield
    - Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: May be going onto The Chase in the near future!

If anyone wants any advice on the application process just let me know and I will try and share my experiences of applying.
    I'm going to send you a private message

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.