Turn on thread page Beta

Guitar gradings watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been playing guitar for nearly 2 years now and can play a fair amount of stuff, but my tutor never mentions gradings or anything which is usually common amongst piano players. None of my friends have grades in guitar and I usually play on my electric

So I'm wondering whether most people take grades in guitar and whether there are any exam boards that I could look into - as I'm worried that when I mention guitar to uni or something they might ask for grades or something. My music theory is poor, I can only read some standard notation and use it for the piano but not for the guitar...

ReputationRep:
    Forget about grades - I'm supposed to be taking grade 8 for classical guitar in june and I mentioned in my personal statement my intention to take it, but they don't really care unless you wish to study music at uni.

ReputationRep:
    It's either ABRSM for classical exams or RGT for electric etc. You'll only need grades for uni entry if you are planning on studying music specifically (even then you can potentially get away with relevant experience and a good audition).

Some tutors are bigger on it than others, it is a good way of working towards targets but it's up to you at the end of the day. I've done up to 8, definitely improved my working knowledge of the instrument (particularly applying theory to chord progressions, improvisation and so on).

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like youre interested in taking graded exams so i would deffo recommend looking into it and asking your tutor about it....whether or not you wanna study music at gcse a level uni etc, its worth taking a graded exam....
    *its proof that you can actually play the guitar...id guess after 2 years of playing you'd be around grades 4-6 standard but it sounds more credible to say "im grade ... on my instrument" rather than "i'm not exactly sure how good i am"

*grades 6-8 are worth ucas points so no matter what you want to study its well worth taking these if you can

*if you play more popular stuff look at www.rockschool.co.uk
    *trinity and lcm offer classical and popular guitar style sylabi
    (i personally recommend rockschool for electric/popular guitar as you only need to buy one self explanitory book to take you thru all the grade work, plus it is a respected exam board for if youre not to big on classical stuff

good luck

ReputationRep:
    I prefer www.registryofguitartutors.co.uk (they are part of LCM I think and recognised by everyone, you can go all the way to diploma!). You can get a book for each grade and 8 is a bigger number than 1 which is case closed clearly

On a more serious note ask your tutor, they'll probably have a preference of the two.

You can mention it on your UCAS form, rgt grades are worth UCAS points and I imagine rockschool are too.

ReputationRep:
    is RGT like a branch off from LCM in the same way that rockschool is a branch off from trinity?

ReputationRep:
    Something like that I imagine.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.